Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

It's down to two: Buca di Bacco or Villa Franca in Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honeymooning in Positano mid-September. Narrowed the hotel down to Buca di Bacco or Villa Franca. Have done tons of web research on both but can't (yet) make a decision. Would love firsthand knowledge from fodorites. Things to know:

We are British and American, in our 30s, well-traveled, but this is our first time to Italy.
This trip is about relaxing, great food and drink, wandering around, exploring the town and the coast. We aren't looking to jam-pack every day with activities, and we aren't into shopping.
We are in good shape so the stairs are not an issue.

Villa Franca pros: it seems as though the views from the top of town are the best. Nice that they have a pool. Rooms look lovely. Shuttle to/from town is a good backup if we don't want to walk (but not sure how late that runs). I like the fact that we'll have some forced exercise since we'll be eating so much!
Villa Franca cons: very expensive at 380 euro per night. I don't see the glowing reviews of the staff like I do with Buca di Bacco. Location might mean it's a little more "sleepy." We're taking a beach vacation in November that is all about peace and quiet so this trip doesn't have to be hush-hush, might be fun to be closer to the action.

Buca di Bacco pros: 100 euro less than VF. The staff sounds very special, as if they would make the trip really memorable. Close to the beach, ferries, town. We still have an ocean view here, it's just the lower view.
Buca di Bacco cons: lower view seems possibly less spectacular, as if we're missing one of the reasons to be in Positano if we don't have the higher view. No pool. They don't have a room available on our first night (we are on a waiting list).

Thanks for any insight you can offer! I realize that we'll have an amazing trip no matter what, but since I feel stumped about the hotel I thought I'd ask.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM

The waiting list situation is a bit off-putting for Buca di Bacco but if you want to be close to the beach with all its fun and excitement, opt for it over Valla Franca. We always stay at Covo dei Saraceni which is also on the beach rather than up the hill and we wouldn't stay anywhere else. Sitting on the balcony sipping wine and watching the activity on the beach is continuous pleasure. We are returning to Positano and the Saraceni in late September/early October. Enjoy your time in Positano. I know we will.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM

We were in Positano in May and I liked the location of Buca di Bacco---close to the action. It is also well known for its food--that would be my choice.
Here are some images for you--some taken from the beach in front of the hotel.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Just heard from Buca that, while our room does have the 180-degree sea view, it does not have a balcony large enough for a table and chairs. To me, this sort of defeats the purpose of staying there, since we won't be able to drink wine on the balcony and watch the world go by below. Any thoughts?