Itinerary suggestions June Paris/Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, and thank you to all the posters who provide so much useful information. It has really helped me make some decisions.

So here it is-initial plans for June. We are a family of 3, with a 12yo girl. This will be her first trip to Europe, but she is a seasoned traveler. My hubbie and I have been to Italy before (Florence, Venice), Greece, and I have been to Paris, Bordeaux, and Dordogne region.

Day 1 Arrive am in Paris
4 nights Paris - Hotel Muguet 195euro
Then Sat am pick up car drive to Fountanebleau, and visit Vaux-le-Viacomte Chateau. They light up the Chateau with 2,000 candles on Sat. in the summer. Sounds pretty.

1 night in nearby Fountanbleau. Aigle Noir Hotel 110/nt
Next day visit Versailles in am, then drive to Orly and fly to Pisa, departs 7pm (129euro for all three of us ).

1 night Pisa - Hotel Bologna Tpl rm 179 w/brkfst and parking. Renting a car

1 night San Gimignano - Hoterl L'antico pozzo 185 w/prking

1 night Siena - Palazzo Ravizza It's a pricey 275 suite, Had to step up to the suite to accommodate 3. Incl Brkfst and prk.

3 nights near San Quirico d'Orcia at Il Poggiolo, 165/nt. Time to slow down, this has a pool and it looks like we can easily walk to San Q. for dinner and nighttime wandering.

2 nights Montepulciano - Meuble Il Riccio, 116/nt incl prk
Last day in Tuscany area, drop car off (Maybe Orvieto) and take train to Rome.

2 nights Rome - Hotel Artoruis 240/nt incl. brk
Last day of Rome 4 pm flt Rome to Paris

Last night Paris-then 10am flt back home. Might stay at hotel near CDG, and take train into Paris for dinner on our last night.

For the Tuscany area, we like staying in the towns, in order to enjoy a nice dinner, glass of wine and an after dinner stroll. Also, maybe the day crowds will be thinner and we will enjoy it more. I'm afraid I am not patient when it comes to crowds. We live in a fairly small town. Since it's June, I know it will be crowded....I survived Florence in June on a previous trip, so I think I can do it again.

Should I leave out San Gimignano and spend 2 nights in Siena? It does seem like we might be moving around to much, but I thought it would cut down on the length of day trips and too much time in the car.
Any comments on the hotels?
We would love to see a local festival, anything that would highlight traditional dress, but I haven't found anything yet.

What did your kids like in the region? Did anything stand out for them (besides the gelato)?

Several have mentioned Il Pozzo for dinner, any other suggestions?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM

You have 7 nites in Tuscany at 4 hotels---I see it as one hotel.
Just drive via Volterra and San Gimignano as you leave Pisa and stay at your San Quirico location for the entire time. Why change hotels 4 times?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM

<i>We would love to see a local festival, anything that would highlight traditional dress, but I haven't found anything yet.</i>

Not sure when in June you'll be there (or maybe I missed it), but we happened upon San Gimignano's medieval harvest festival--Ferie delle Messi--last June. It's a multi-day event over a weekend in the middle of the month. We were there on a Sunday. Lots of people in traditional costumes, performances, a parade, etc. It made the town a bit more crowded, but the good kind of crowded. I have a few photos in our online album:

http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/p991301038
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Bob-Thanks for the input, it felt like we were going to be moving to much. I also found some of your recommendations for restaurants under another post. Wonderful!

ms_go - Great photos! Our Italy portion of the trip begins June 21 in Pisa. I think the Ferie delle messi is earlier in June. It looked like fun. I also liked your pics of Volterra, which was another stop we were thinking about. The Etruscan museum looked good, and the alabaster workshop also. I like the color in your photos, especially the eggs and handbags in florence.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Too many one nighters. I see the point in staying in Pisa since your plane arrives so late. I would drop the night at San G (visit in route to Siena) and add it to Siena so you will have two nights (or two nights San G and daytrip to Siena on the way to San Quirico). It's very tiring having to pack and leave a hotel everyday.

I would combine the San Quirico and Montepulciano and stay in one place for five nights. They are so close together it doesn't make sense to change hotels.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Can you tell me what airline you are flying (and how did you book the flight) for your trip from Orly to Pisa at that very low rate? Thanks, 2fun.