Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence / Tuscany Itinerary (Six Nights)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the Florence/Tuscany area for six nights and besides Florence we would like to see Siena, Lucca, Pisa and San Gimignano.

We would like to stay in Florence for a few days and then leave Florence and stay in one of the other towns.

Which of these areas would be good to visit while we are staying in Florence?

When we leave Florence, which town would you recommend that we stay in?
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:32 AM

Lucca and Pisa are very easy to see by train from Florence. If you are very short on time, you could even combine both cities for a long day trip, however, you would not see much of Pisa other than the Campo di Miracoli.

I would then stay in either San Gimignano or Siena, seeing the other town by bus.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:48 AM

I would suggest that you stay in Florence and do Pisa and Lucca as a side trip. Then stay in San Gimignano ...I just returned from Tuscany and fell in love with San Gimignano. The formula to really fall in love with that town is to spend late afternoon-early morning in the town and then go elsewhere while the hoards of bus tours show up. We arrived around 4pm...left the next morning at 11am to explore Chianti and returned in the late afternoon around 5pm. The town is very atmospheric at night...and very tranquill in the morning. We took a walk around the walls in the early morning and the views were spectacular. We then climbed the tower before it got too busy. You could take your day trip from there to Siena. We had a very nice meal at the Chiribi in San Gimignano...one of the best on our trip and reasonable (cash only). The ravioli in pumkin sauce is something I will not forget.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM

Well, Siena is also easy to visit as a daytrip by bus from Florence. So maybe you ought to stay in San Gimignano to get the benefit of it after the tourist hordes leave. Will you be driving?
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes we are planning on driving to the Siena / San Gimignano area.

Any suggestions on places to stay overngiht in either Seina or San Gimignano?
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:59 AM

For places to stay check out www.tuscany.net. You can search by hotels, castles, villas, etc - have pictures, maps, etc. It's a great site. They all responded very quickly to my e-mails. I'm also headed that way & am looking to stay in either a villa or castle in the countryside. You can also check out www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.. Have fun!
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:19 AM

In San Gimignano we stayed at the Palazzo al Torrione...a B&B inside the walls just a short stroll from the main street.

[email protected]

It was inexpensive at 70 Euros per night excluding breakfast...$5 additional per night for private parking a short ride away. The owner took us to the parking location and then delivered our baggage and us to the B&B...then did the same on the return. It was nice to have that service as driving inside the walls to drop luggage would be a chore. His uncle owns the Cisterna Hotel in the main square which is the choice of many on this website..a little more pricey but well appointed.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM
rex

topping... for firsttimetoitaly...

Best wishes,

Rex