Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary/Safety Mixed bag of questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in with a couple questions.

First off, in regard to traveling alone with my daughter. Are we safe to walk at night in Madrid (staying in Huertas just off Plaza de las Cortes), Seville (staying near Museo de Bellas Artes)? And how about Granada (near the Alhambra) and Cordoba (across street from the Mezquita)?

And itinerary...we are going first to Cordoba 1 night, then Seville 4 nights, Granada 2 nights and ending in Madrid for 4 nights. I feel like that is plenty of travel for us, however, I wonder if we should try to see a smaller town; either in Andalucia, or in the area of Madrid?

Or will we be kept too busy within Seville and Madrid? If not, do you have suggestions? Maybe a day trip to Segovia? Please keep in mind that we are only using public transportation for this trip.

MANY THANKS!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Also, does anyone recommend the Seville or Madrid cards?
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 07:40 AM

I'd feel safe walking around at night in the areas you are staying. There are usually people walking around in these areas so you won't be all alone. Just expercise the same common sense you would use at home.

For a first trip to Spain with only 11 nights I think you have a good plan. With 4 nights in Sevilla you should have time for a daytrip to a smaller town (Carmona, Osuna, Arcos, Sanlucar, etc..) or medium sized towns (Cadiz, Jerez, etc..). Same with Madrid - with 4 nights you'll probably have time for at least one daytrip. Personally I'd visit Toledo vs Segovia but there have been several threads debating this choice and either way you can't go wrong. The good thing with these day trips is you can generally play it by ear and decide to do it or not once you've arrived. You shouldn't have an issue totally winging it with the Sevilla daytrips. Depending on the time of year you may however need to purchase train tickets in advance for Toledo and/or Segovia.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Cathy.

We are going April 6-18th (wow, it's coming up quick!)

We are very interested in Arcos, and I will check out the other towns you mentioned. What's the best way to get to there? Bus? Should I book this prior to leaving?

Think we can play the Segovia/Toledo DT by ear? I think we are leaning towards Segovia...
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 08:16 AM

You can get to Arcos from Sevilla by bus - no need to purchase in advance. It's too bad you can't be in Andalucia on April 17-18 - it's Semana Santa (Holy Week). There will likely be processionals in Madrid too - be sure to take time to see one. I'd probably not take a chance on playing Segovia/Toledo by ear due to the train tickets potentially selling out for the time you want. I'd purchase on arrival in Madrid so you'd just need to plan in advance by a day or 2. This may not be necessary but I'd rather have a guarantee of the ticket when I want to take the trip vs being disappointed.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 09:04 AM

You could take the bus from Seville to Ronda (2.5 hrs), then take the train to Granada from Ronda. But you may need to add a night for that in Ronda.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 09:31 AM

What is your definition of "night?" In cities, night actions start picking up steam around 10pm.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 10:27 AM

I would agree with the question of night.

For example in Granada there is still plenty of people in the street in the evening up until midnight or 1 am, after that the smaller streets become a bit more quiet and it is different if you are going to be walking around at 4 am likewise in the other cities.
Either way, in most cities in Spain there are a few pickpockets, but most important thing is to be aware, and as said previously a little bit of common sense goes a long way.
Just to throw my 2 cents in for the day trip debate, my favourite day trip from Madrid is to Salamanca. But all of the previously mentioned are worthwhile.
Ronda is also a great call and well worth taking a night from Seville to stay in Ronda.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Are you atttuned to evening times in Spain. Dinner starts at about 9 pm - at the earliest - and evening activities- clubs etc don;t open until about 11 pm. there will be plenty of people on the street until the wee hours. Just use normal precautions - don;t walk down dark alleys alone.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies.

Yes, I do know that Spanish night life starts later. We will just try to find a medium were we enjoy it, but still get her tucked in early enough that she's not a cranky mess the next day.

Our lodging and train travel is already set, so DT's are the only things we can add at this point. I am sorry to miss Ronda.