Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary question - where to go between Bavaria & Dordogne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm eagerly working on our 6+ week summer 2011 itinerary. We're travelling with two kids (4 & 6) and will have a car. The last three weeks of our trip are pretty well set. We have week-long stays in Dordogne, Normandy, and Bruges.

We're beginning in Munich around June 20th and will need to be to Dordogne by July 6th. Right now, I'm thinking 3 nights in Munich, a possible 2-3 night diversion to Regensberg (near Playmobil park and Weltenburger Abbey), 2-3 nights near Berchtesgaden, 2-3 nights near Fussen, and then I'm stuck. I've looked into Meersburg on the Bodensee, a possible stop in Annecy/Chamonix, and even northern Italy. I just don't know! My husband and I love to hike and explore but our kids aren't quite Alps-ready. I'm afraid a diversion into Switzerland would a) be expensive and b) be torture for me because we couldn't do all the hikes we'd like. Can you think of a good 2-3 night stop between southern Bavaria and the Dordogne in France? I know it's a long haul!

This trip is about exploring smaller towns, enjoying local culture, eating/drinking well, and keeping our kids happy. They are great travellers and we're not afraid of some long driving days. I'm getting some great suggestions on this board and thank you for your expertise.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Europa Park - one of the continents biggest amusement park is located in Rust, Germany, very near Strasbourg, Freiburg, Colmar, etc..

At 4 and 6 they are a little young for most rides, but there are things to rides and things to amuse young children. Mom and Dad can get some Black Forest and some Alsace in, too.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 07:35 AM

You're not picking a car up in one country and dropping it in another, are you? You'll pay through the nose for that.

Also, a week in Bruges seems a tad long, much as I enjoy the place.

I would also recommend coming through the Black Forest into Alsace and working your way to the Dordogne from there.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. We're actually buying a car through a European delivery program. I'm thinking Alsace/Black Forest might be a nice option although it looks like an 8+ hour drive to the Dordogne from there. Any recommended towns for an overnight in between? We could probably do the 8 hour driving day knowing we have a week to stay put in Dordogne.

We're staying at a farmhouse outside of Bruges and plan to check out some of the seaside towns, Ghent, and possibly Antwerp. Bruges is toward the end of our trip so I suspect we'll be slowing down, enjoying some public pools, bike riding, parks, and trips into the countryside.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM

I think Lyon is about halfway to the Dordogne, and it's a lovely city. I'd stop there or nearby.

You will enjoy those day trips out of Bruges - very scenic area.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM

Burgundy could well fit the bill for you - lovely small wine villges, good food and drink - a more laid back life than in big tourist cities and smack between Germany and the Dordogne.

Beaune is a bigger town - the commercial wine center I think but there are lots of cute wine towns along the marked and promoted Burgundy Wine Road (Route des vignes de Bourgogne or some similar spelling).

Or of course Provence and lovely places like Avignon - Arles is also en route as would be Rocamadour, a weird pilgrimage mecca with shrine topping sheer pinacles - kids may like the Forest of Monkeys on the edge of Rocamadour and also the Gouffre de Padriac - a huge cave system you ride thru on boats that are punted.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM

Arles isn't even close to be en route from Strasbourg to the Dordogne - nor is anywhere in Provence. And Rocamadour is practically IN the Dordogne - wouldn't make much sense to make that an overnight stop. Lyon is just about dead-on halfway. Burgundy's a decent choice, depending on the route you take - Dijon would work nicely as an almost halfway point.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I think Burgundy might be a good fit. We stayed in Beaune several years ago and only had dinner in Dijon. Maybe we'll opt for Dijon this time. It does seem like a logical stop and a nice way to break up the drive. Thank you!
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM

From Bavaria, drive through Switzerland via Luzern down to Geneva. Annecy would be a nice stop. You can drive up to the Col de la Forclaz and get a beautiful view of the lake. The 6 year old will probably be interested in the paragliding in the area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7624529919999/

From there I would drive though the Auvergne and the Gorge du Tarn to reach the Dordogne. If time gets short, you can always take the A89 to get to the Dordogne.

This set will give you an idea of what to see in the Auvergne:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623313123155/
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Michael - your pictures are amazing! Thank you for sharing. I'm especially impressed with the Le Puy pictures. I will be spending some time with my map and google maps over the next few days....
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM

<i>I'm especially impressed with the Le Puy pictures.</i>

It's all in the landscape and the labor of the 12th century.

For a fancy stay, not cheap, but with an interesting farm museum in the village, check out Moudeyres' Le Pré bossu. There is a cheaper hotel in the village, which has been renovated since we stayed in it 18years ago. Our last stay was in Le Pré bossu. You might be interested in my trip report which starts in Basel. Just click on my name to find it.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM

In Bavaria (and I suppose in rural areas of France) have you considered a farm stay? Little kids love these, they are all over the place and are a great value. We are looking into this ourselves for next summer. You could find one centrally located, say near the Zugspitze and then day trip to Fussen and Mittenwald. This is a good site for Bavaria farm holidays: http://english.bauernhof-urlaub.com/