Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best to manage the 5 days trip in Austria

Dec 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

As I will go to Nuremberg in beginning of Feb 2011 for business and after that, which is around Feb 7th, I and my two friends plan 5 days trip to travel in Austria. Could you please help advise the best itinerary to manage this trip? We all prefer to see the scenic view; not shopping and need to return to either Munich or Nuremberg to take flight back to BKK.
Our initial plan is as below:
Day 1 (Feb 7): NRB==>Sulzburg (take train around 4 hrs)
Day 2: Salzburg
Day 3: Salzburg ==> Hallstatt
Day 4: Hallstatt ==>Munich
Day 5 (Feb 11): Munich

What do you think about our plan above? As it is in winter, I am not sure whether or not it is good time to visit Hallstatt or we should switch Hallstatt to Innsbruck instead.

It would be helpful if you please suggest the best attractions, B&B and also transportation for this trip as well because this is our first time to visit Austria and also Munich...Thank you.
Dec 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM

I like your plan. If Hallstatt proves to be too long a trip for you, consider a bus to St. Gilgen for a fun day around the Wolfgangsee.
Dec 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM

I also think you have a good plan.

I've only been to Hallstadt in the spring but it is such a lovely, picturesque little town that it must be beautiful in winter. I think it's the nicest of all the lake villages and I would try to go if I were you.

I would recommend the Gasthof Zauner in Hallstadt. It's right on the main square and many rooms have lovely views of the lake, especially on the top floor. The rooms are all white and pine, in typical Austrian style.
There is a lovely restaurant on the premises which serves delicious dinners and breakfasts. (I'm not sure about lunch).

I stayed there about 5-6 years ago but it appears to still be run by the same people so it's probably still lovely. The owner, Sepp Zauner, is a very charming and colorful character.

You can see most of Salzburg's attractions on foot: don't miss the cathedrals/churches, the fortress on the hill, Mozart's house, the abbey. It's a lovely little town to explore on foot.
Dec 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Here is my screen saver! The winter will be beautiful!

http://www.citypictures.net/r-europe...stria-2231.htm

-john
Dec 16th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all of you guy suggestion. I've just reviewed some comments about Hallstat in winter and they said due to small city and winter season, the city would be quiet and some places would also be closed; so,I am not quite not sure if we should skip the overnight there and change to other city such as Innsbruck instead. What do you think?

Also, please advise whether we can use Einfach-Raus-Ticket from Salzburg or Innsbruck to Munich or not.
Dec 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM

You could overnight in St. Wolfgang or St. Gilgen and take a side trip to see Hallstatt. It's worth it!
Dec 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM

Einfach-Raus tickets are valid ONLY within Austria.
Dec 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM
blh

You can use a Bayern ticket from Salzburg to Munich. Up to five people can travel together for 28€. Here is an article telling about the ticket: http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket
Dec 21st, 2010, 09:17 PM

Bmw...thank-you for that awesome picture...wow!!!