Itinerary opinions

Dec 30th, 2017, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary opinions

Hi friends,

On our trip to greece, we are planning to rent a car. We are landing in greece on 12th march evening, then we will start our roadtrip by 13th Morning. Here is tentative our itinerary.
13th March: Athens - Delphi - Meteora (stay at meteora)
14th March: sight seeing.
15th March: leave Meteora and come back to Athens. Stay at athens.
16th March: one day drive to glyfada and cape sounion and back to athens.

Can you please suggest a good car rental company preferably from athens city center? Also, i guess finding a parking space in Athens is quite a difficult task. So, what if we go directly to glyfada from meteora on 15th march? Is it possible??
Dec 30th, 2017, 11:40 PM
kja

Sorry, but this plan really does not strike me as one that makes much sense….

First, if you are crossing more than a few time zones, please reconsider! Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter your other constraints and no matter your prior experience! And please be patient with me if you think I’m being overly adamant, but I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they were too confident in their ability to drive safely with jet lag. The issue has become a bit of cause célèbre for me….

And even if you won’t have jet lag, are you sure this plan will work? I believe the route from Athens through Delphi and on to Meteora is about 6 hours of driving, not counting breaks. And Delphi itself can take the better part of a day to explore, which means that you would either shortchange Delphi or end up driving a long way after dark on unfamiliar roads while exhausted. Again, not a great idea….

No time for Athens itself? Then why go into the city? And why do you think you would you not be able to drive directly from Meteora to Glyfada? Again, it’s a LONG way, but it’s a long way to Athens, too, and as you say, having a car in Athens is problematic.

Good luck!
Dec 31st, 2017, 06:52 AM

Do the on and go to on May 14th.

My proposal:

March 13th:
beach trip to Cape Sounion - Varkiza - Vougliagmeni - Glyfada;

March 14th:
Vougliagmeni - Pallini - Lamia - Trikkala - Meteora

March 15th:
back to Lamia in late afternoon

March 16th:
Lamia - Delphi - Ossios Loukas - Athens
Dec 31st, 2017, 01:07 PM

On your first day in Greece you could take public transportation from Athens to Sounion to Glyfada and back to Athens. At least you wouldn't be driving on your first day. Next day pick up your rental car and drive north. Return to Athens the night before your flight.

You are omitting time in Athens. Have you been in Athens before?
Dec 31st, 2017, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

We are not skipping athens. We are going to be in Greece till 23rd. On 19th morning, we will fly to santorini for 3 days.

@neckervd, thanks, we will check this route.

@kja, thank you for your concerns. You have got the point. We will replan and start our roadtrip on our 2nd or 3rd day in Greece.
Jan 1st, 2018, 03:27 AM

Driving to Glyfada is pretty easy...
You stay on the highway coming from the North and drive all the way to the end, where it meets the sea.. then exit to the left towards Glyfada- Vouliagmeni, and drive along the seaside till you find Glyfada.....

There's no need to drive through the centre of Athens.
Jan 1st, 2018, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

@clausar, exactly, that's why I am thinking to do meteora to glyfada in one day.
Jan 1st, 2018, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Also please suggest car rental company. Thanks.
Jan 1st, 2018, 09:41 AM
kja

You have a ton of rental options. I worked with Hertz, but any good guidebook should give you a sense of your options.