Itinerary Help, Paris-Italy-Berlin-Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I am looking for some advice on my current itinerary. So far purchased one way tickets to Paris. We are first time travelers (4 of us, 2 couples). We are looking to see as much as possible since we are not sure we will ever be back. We have 19 nights to use. We are interested in sightseeing, good food, some nightlife, beaches. So far this is what I have.

Arrive Paris: August 16th.
Paris 3 nights. 16-19
Fly to Rome via Ryanair. Arrive in Rome 11:20 am.
Rome 3 nights. 19-22
Train to Cinque Terre. Arrive at 11:16 am. 1 night. 22-23
Train to Venice. Arrive at 6:30pm. 1 night 23-24
Fly to Berlin. Arrive at 6:20 pm. 3 nights. 24-27
Fly to Barcelona. Arrive 9:25 am. 4 nights 27-31
Fly to Ibiza. Arrive 10:20 am. 2 nights 31-2nd
Fly to Madird. Arrive 3:00pm. 2 nights. 2-4
Fly back home the 4th.

This is a rough itinerary I have come up with in a bout a week and I know it is a lot of travel and might be too much. We are backpacking and think we will be able to handle this.I am looking for advice/suggestions to improve this.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 04:49 PM

Cinque Terre is to be seen by walking on its trails. You will have too little time for that. Drop it and use that for Venice, to which you also allocated too little time.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 04:52 PM

I'm sorry but this is way too many places in way too little time - and in the midst of summer heat - which in Italy and Spain can be close to 100 degrees.

If you lay out your trip day by day you will see how little time you have in each places since you are counting several days multiple times:

For instant - you have the 19th listed as a day in Paris, as flying from Paris to Rome and as a day in Rome. It can only be one of those things.

As it is you have

Paris - 2 day plus 1/2 day jet lagged
Rome - 2 days
CT - 1/2 day on 2 different days
Venice - 1/2 day
Berlin - 2 days

and on from there.

IMHO in the days you have I would do no more than 4 cities if you really want to see more than 2 or3 major sights. I fear at the end you will have a very expensive, exhausting trip that will be nothing more than a blur by the end.

Remember you are visiting 4 different countries, with different cultures, different languages , different meal times and 8 cities with different transit systems and layouts that all have to be mastered for you to get around and see things. Have you even checked what days the museums in each city are closed? What if you are there only when the things you want to see are closed?

I would have each person pick their single most important sight and then tie those into one trip adding the other major sights in those cities.

And why in the world buy one-way tickets to Paris - do you have any idea what the one-way tickets to get home will cost? For this kind of trip you shuld buy open-jaw (multi-destination) tickets into the first city and home from the last.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:01 PM

You will be advised to cut this way back. You only have 11 full days on the ground, all this travel time overwhelming the time left for enjoyment.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have a lot less time in these destinations than you may think. Throughout your list you have counted the same date in two different places -- doesn't work that way.

The 16th is mostly a 'non day' partly eaten up w/ arrival, logistics/transport, checking in and jet lag.

The 4th is totally eaten up w/ packing, transport and flying home.

So you have 18 usable days 'on the ground' and you want to hit eight unique places in 4 countries. W/ the half a day (minimum) you lose w/ every move you are no down to 14 free days -- so only about 1.5 days per place -- this is not a good plan.

>> So far purchased one way tickets to Paris<< so you have only booked flights TO Paris but not home?

If so - you need to cut a few of your destinations and decide where you want to fly home from.

>>We are looking to see as much as possible since we are not sure we will ever be back. <<

You have guaranteed you will see very little indeed. For instance you will only have a few evening hours in Venice and one day in Madrid.

Sorry -- but back to the drawing board . . .
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:17 PM
mjs

Agreed with above. I would also mention that you will find that you cannot keep up an intense pace and that every 10-14 days you will need a day to relax, do laundry etc and recharge. Changing locations is also expensive and time consuming. Unless you are towards the end of your life it is likely that if you wish to return you will so take the time to explore instead of just flying by.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:19 PM

If this is your first time going and you want to see as many towns, etc. as possible but not in detail obviously, then it is definitely possible to do the following (from experience):

Arrive Paris: August 16th.
Paris 3 nights. 16-19
Fly to Rome via Ryanair. Arrive in Rome 11:20 am.
Rome 3 nights. 19-22
Train to Cinque Terre. Arrive at 11:16 am. 1 night. 22-23
Train to Venice. Arrive at 6:30pm. 1 night 23-24

But I do think that you need one full day in Venice...and perhaps even more if you want to go to Burano and the other island surrounding it.

We went for a quick tour of the biggest cities in Europe and we did 2 days in Paris, 2 days in Rome, and 2 days in Venice. We felt like we had enough time to see the "touristy" stuff but not enough time to actually "absorb" the culture. So we went back again a few years later and stayed a bit longer.

I think people who comment need to understand that some people like to see more and are "ok" with traveling this way. However, I do agree that this can be some what tiring. Again, it depends on your energy. I'm used to this type of traveling and actually prefer it. And then if I like a city a lot, I just go back again later and visit it for longer periods of time

PS. I have no idea about Spain so cannot give you my 2 cents on that one

Have a wonderful trip!! No matter what, you will enjoy it. Traveling is fun whether it's slow paced, or fast paced!!! It's all about the company and the journey
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:52 PM

Small point, buy Ryanair flies in and out of Paris Beauvais which is a hassle to get to. Better CDG or Orly. Trains, to the journey add roughly an hour on either end when changing hotels. Flights chew up a lot of time when everything in addition to the actual flight itself is factored in.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:54 PM

You are traveling nearly half of your days. Some of your travel is long, expensive and time consuming, so most of your cost and time is spent getting from place to place rather than "being there, seeing things or doing anything interesting or fun." Your "being there" time is a poor ratio to your travel time. Why spend a lot of money and time to get somewhere and not allow enough time to see it?

Look at your four most important places. Think about what you want to see and do in each place and how much time that will take. Then see what else is very close by that would be wonderful to see or an activity which interests you. Except for the CT, you have only major cities. There are incredible places within a few minutes to an hour from each of these cities. You could see more and travel less. Near Rome is Orvieto and Ostia Antica. Near Paris is Versailles. Near Madrid is Toledo and Segovia. The list is endless.

Do you have any interest in museums, architecture, art, history, cathedrals, etc?
Do you enjoy hiking? Is food a major interest? A little more detail may bring better suggestions from other posters.

For many people, Paris and Rome would have more to offer than Barcelona, so would require more time.

Not saying don't go because I have been to both Spain and Italy in July and heat may not bother you at all. If it will, look at more Northern places or you will have to alter your sightseeing time to avoid being out in the heat of the afternoon.

Lay your trip out without any double counting days. Allow plenty of time to get from your hotel to the airport or train station, to go through security at the airport, to travel, then to get from the station or airport to your hotel.

August 16, arrive Paris. Jet lagged 1/2 day
August 17, 18, 19, Paris, 3 whole days. If bored, take a day trip.
August 20, fly to Rome, 1/2 day left for sightseeing
August 21, 22, 23, Rome, 3 whole days. If bored do a day trip.
August 24, train to Venice, 1/2 day for sightseeing
August 25, Venice, 1 whole day
August 26, 1/2 day Venice, fly to Berlin
August 27, 28, Berlin, 2 whole days
August 29?
August 30, 31?
Etc, etc. adding and changing to suit your choices.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 11:17 PM

I would suggest 4 days in medieval and cutting edge Bareclona and 4 days in majestic Madrid, two fabulous and very different cities that will give you an idea of the diversity of Spain. Suggest you skip Ibiza in between. High speed AVE Train between Barcelona and Madrid, from city center to city center in 2h 30 mins (renfe.com).

<interested in sightseeing, good food, some nightlife, beaches>

Barcelona is fabulous food, great beaches, all the nightlife you want, and Madrid is all that, except the beaches and in a very different way, and the madrileños are called Los gatos/The cats for some very good reasons.
Barcelona: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/en/
Madrid: http://www.esmadrid.com/en
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 01:34 AM

When it comes to nightlife in Barcelona, I recommend the medieval Born area, lots of bars and clubs long into the night and a great vibe. Most of them are in and around the atmospheric Passeig del Born. Also lots of fabulous tapas bars here: http://theculturetrip.com/europe/spa...orn-barcelona/

Lots of cool bars, cafés and restaurants in the Barceloneta district, just inland from the beach with the same name: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...taurants-spain

And more upscale and very local atmosphere nightlife in Carrer Aribau, just up from the old university (from 1450): http://suitelife.com/blog/moving-to-...-world-of-fun/

In Madrid, I recommend the Huertas/Barrio de las letras area, just off central and bustling Plaza Santa Ana. http://mividaen.sampere.com/neighbor...madrid-huertas
http://www.gomadrid.com/sights/plaza-santa-ana.html

Several fine places in narrow Calle Echegaray, and La Venencia is a good place to start: http://theculturetrip.com/europe/spa...sit-in-madrid/
Here you also find the excellent flamenco bar El Burladero: http://www.timeout.com/madrid/music-...e/el-burladero
Some of the finest flamenco artists perform every night in Cardamomo: https://cardamomo.es/
Often live music in La Boca del Lobo (The wolf's mouth): http://www.timeout.com/madrid/music-...-boca-del-lobo
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 05:24 AM

You haven't done the math right. There is no accounting for travel between places, which almost always takes at least half a day and often most of a dull day.

I would never set foot in the Cinque Terre in August. Especially since it's rumored that they are going to limit the number of people who can get on the trails every day, but even if you can get there it will be a complete mob scene.

And one-way tickets to Paris? Are you aware that you may not even get on the plane, or get into the country, without proof of a return?

You need to start over. This is a mess in the making.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions.

I have taken into account the actual days we will have. I know by staying 3 nights in Paris that actually will only give us 2 full days there.

It sounds like we may need to cut this down by a few destinations. I think we are definitely set on Paris, Rome, Barcelona and Germany. It does not have to be Berlin maybe another city would be more easily accessible. Munich?
I think we may have to choose from Cinque Terre/Venice. And Madrid/Ibiza.
It sounds like people would recommend Venice instead of Cinque Terre. Or Maybe Florence would be a better option?

How would this sound?
Paris 4 nights. 16-20. 3 full days.
Rome 3 nights. 20-23. 2.5 days.
Venice 2 nights 23-25. 1.5 days.
German city 4 nights 25-29. 3 full days.
Barcelona 4 nights 29-2. 3 full days.
Madrid 2 nights 2-4. 1.5 days
Would fly home from Madrid.

Cuts down from 8 destinations to 6. And 7 travel days to 5.

Also I have purchased one way to Paris. And will purchase the return from the city we end up on. We are not flying back home from Paris. I am not sure what StCirq meant by proof of return. Do we have to show proof of our return flight from anywhere in Europe in order to be able to fly into Paris?
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 08:39 AM

>> I am not sure what StCirq meant by proof of return. Do we have to show proof of our return flight from anywhere in Europe in order to be able to fly into Paris?<<

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are two places you might have trouble, or none at all. First at your departure airport is the desk agents think you don't plan on returning home, they can deny you boarding. Then when you arrive in Paris, it immigration officer might sak you about your plans and how long you wil be in Schengen -- if they aren't sure they will ask you more questions including seeing your return flight.

Most of the time it is fine, but they are totally w/i their rights to refuse you entry.

Also --usually but not always, two one way tickets cost more than just booking multi city tickets in to one city and home from another.

Six destinations is better but sill a LOT for 18 days when you consider they are big cities w/ a ton to see and do. With travel time you would still only have about 2.5 days free per city.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 08:52 AM

Agree with most of the comments. Less is More! Cut even more, focus on what you really enjoy, which is totally unclear looking at your list. Where are you from? What are you looking for exactly? and... why is Ibiza so important to you?? That actually was the first question that came to my mind while reading your post
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 09:17 AM

The added expense and time it takes to go to Madrid for only a day and a half is not worth it unless your heart is set on seeing the Prado or some other museum there. Cut Madrid and save it for a future trip when you can combine it with Seville, Cordoba, Granada, etc. and do some day trips like Toledo.
Add that day and a half to Rome or Venice.

How much interest do you have in Art and Architecture? Florence is probably the hottest and most humid of nearly any city in Italy in August, but is overflowing with Art. I love Florence and have been there in July, and several other times, but Art is one of my major interests.

Can you cancel your one-way ticket into Paris and buy a multi-city or multi-destination ticket? It might be a lot cheaper than adding another one-way. Look at specials from IcelandAir.

In your layout, you are still counting days twice. That is very confusing. Never list the same day twice. Then your plan becomes quite clear.

August 16, Arrive Paris
August 17, 18, 19, Paris (4 nights, 3 & 1/2 days)
August 20, fly to Rome, at least a half day or more total travel
August 21 & 22, Rome (3 nights, 2 & 1/2 days)
August 23, train to Venice, at least a half day total travel
August 24, Venice (2 nights, 1 & 1/2 days)
August 25, travel to City in Germany, most of a day for travel
August 26, 27, 28, City?, (4 nights, 3 days)
Etc.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 05:53 AM

To say "Madrid is just a big city with a nice post office building" is downright silly. Shows the OP has not actually been there and knows little about it. Besides the Prado, a world class museum and one of the most famous, there are several others plus the Palace, and a place with interesting history, etc.

The OP is advertising his booking website.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 06:01 AM

>>Shows the OP has not actually been there and . . .<<

Just to clarify, that comment was not by the OP . . . but I do agree it is pretty silly.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 06:26 AM

Oh, Janisj, don't know where my mind is today. Not the first mistake I have made recently that you have caught. I did not mean the OP. I meant the poster with all the ads for places to stay.

Big, big Apology to the OP and big thank you to Janisj for catching my mistake.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 06:28 AM

The OP says they are backpacking and want night life that is probably why they wanted Ibiza.
To the OP sounds like you are young so don't think you might never get to Europe again. You never know what might happen 20-30 years from now.
I would get the air fixed to a open jaw flight but your second itinerary sounds fine you will have time to see the basics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -