Search

Itinerary help/feedback

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help/feedback

Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip to Ireland the end of May/beginning of June, and I'm attempting the epic task of making a trip around Ireland in 6 days. I know it's ambitious. I know that it'll be rushed, but there's so much to see that my overall goal is to complete the circle around Ireland if possible. I enjoy both scenery as well as culture, history, and wandering cute towns. Ideally, I'd like to keep the driving to less than 3 hours a day (except I think that doing that the day of the ring of kerry is not possible)

Given these known limitations, I'm specifically wondering:
1) Are there any destinations here that you don't think are must-see and that I can remove for time reasons?
2) Are there any days that logistically don't seem feasible?
3) Is there anything you'd recommended above/instead of any of the sites in this itinerary?
4) Are there any places/cities you'd recommend staying in rather than the ones listed (preferably somewhat close in area in order to facilitate the move around the country)
5) Is it a travesty to have essentially only one day in Dublin?
6) I think it would be fun to stay in or visit a castle somewhere along the way. Any recommendations that seem feasible in my loop?

Day 1:
Arrive in Dublin at 4pm, pick up rental car
Night: Dublin

Day 2:
Visit Kilkenney, Cashel Rock, Cork, and visit the Blarney Stone/Castle
Night: Cork

Day 3:
Visit the English Market in Cork, Killarney (Muck Ross), the Ring of Kerry
Night: Adare (alternatively, stay in Tralee at the Ballyseede Castle)

Day 4:
Visit Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Connemara National Park, Kylemore Abbey
Night: Clifden

Day 5:
Visit Aran Islands (Inis Mor)
Night: Sligo

Day 6:
Visit Dark Hedges (love Game of Thrones), North Antrim Coastline, Portrush, Danluce Castle, Giant's Causeway, Castle Ward (again GoT)
Night: Belfast

Day 7:
Visit Bru Na Boinne/Boyne Valley briefly on my way to Dublin, spend most of the day in Dublin

Day 8:
Depart in the early AM
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 08:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I know that it'll be rushed, but there's so much to see that my overall goal is to complete the circle around Ireland if possible.<<

One can't circle Ireland/Northern Ireland in 6 days - full stop.

Just one example - Day 4 is a 6.5 to 7 hour drive not counting the stops -- so you'd need to be in the car more than 10 hours.

so back to the drawing board. In your re-planning -- figure 30 - 35 MPH on average.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 09:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In fact -- you are actually trying this in 5.5 days and just skimming the rest of the itinerary I don't see a single day that is less than 9 or 10 hours on the move.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 01:08 AM

If you want to get anything from that itinerary http://www.executive-helicopters.com/ nice lad lives in the local village.

Otherwise you need a rethink on just what you must see rather than what you want to watch on Youtube. Harsh reality even from someone like me who supports road trips the circle of the island needs 9 full days by the most exhausting tour bus or 14 days if you have one of my itineraries.

The regular recommendation with only 10 days is to split the island with an imaginary line between Dublin and Galway and see above or below that line. I'm a little more ambitious.

Basic 8 days.
Get the bus or drive to Belfast on landing in DUB. day 1 Belfast and clear the body clock, Day 2 Causeway coast and Glens or some Game of thrones sights.
Day 3 the aim is Galway via points depending on when/where you collect the rental car. you could aim for Clifden much as I like the place but Galway would be better for you.
Day 4 Connemara drive by night in Galway
Day 5 West Clare you could get a mini Cruise Inis Oirr and the Cliffs by sea and end with a night in Ennis but if your aim is Ballyseede just a quick drive by again.
Day 6 Straight run down to Cork possibly a couple of sights but forget any of Kerry
Day 7 Cork to Dublin via the M8 possibly Cahir and Cashel maybe one more option before Dublin and returning the hire car.
Day 8 the only day left for Dublin, if you want another day for Dublin you have to drop Cork or add another day to make the hectic tour of 9 because day 9 is home time.

Dropping point in Northern Ireland and heading straight to Galway on arrival gives a day for Kerry (which really needs 2) and the end 2 days in Dublin. That though is for you to decide.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 01:12 AM

Having re read your itinerary you don't have a day 1 and 4pm is not a transatlantic flight so no jet lag.. as its not a transatlantic why not fly into Cork and work clockwise but you still need to prioritise.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 01:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd not pick up the car at the airport and drive into town. Take the bus and rent a car in Dublin in the morning