Croatia Ferry Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia Ferry Questions

Hi there,

A few questions about the ferries...

1) It seems like everyone on the forum is recommending the bus from Dubrovnik to Split. Is there a reason you would not take the ferry (http://www.croatiatraveller.com/Loca...tamaran.html)?
2) Many ferries can only be booked 24 hours in advance....for places like Vis, where there is only 1 or 2 ferries a day, should we be concerned about it selling out?
3) Are the prices on this website in Kuna or Euros? http://www.croatiatraveller.com/Loca...Catamaran.html

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 03:11 PM
kja

I took the bus in one direction (Split to Dubrovnik). In the other direction, I went from Dubrovnik to Korcula by bus and then Korcula to Split by ferry. While the ferry was very pleasant, I thought the views from the bus extraordinary. JMO.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 07:20 PM

I am fairly sure prices are quoted in Kuna. Euros are generally not accepted in Croatia except at perhaps some hotels, where you should not expect a good exchange rate. But sometimes prices for tourist-related expenses (hotels, rental cars, etc.) are quoted in Euros, even though you will be expected to pay in Kuna at the time (if paying in cash), just to give visitors an easy way to judge the price.

It looks like this catamaran takes about 4.5 hours from Dubrovnik to Split, about the same time as the bus, but probably costs a bit more. I wouldn't expect the catamaran to be as scenic as you might guess. I took a catamaran from Korcula to Split (via Hvar) and don't recall it being all that scenic - I struggled just to see Hvar out the window when we pulled in. You can't go on deck during the voyage, you are below deckso you are stuck looking out the window, just as on a bus. But there are many buses a day so you can choose your schedule whereas you might have only one catamran a day to choose from.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 08:34 PM

it's been a while, but i believe that we tried to take the ferry fromr Dubrovnik to Split... but, after walking across town to the harbor, they could not sell us tickets. i'm not sure we understood why they couldn't sell us tix, but i do know that the ferry was not daily.

the bus was crowded, but very comfortable.

if you are taking a ferry out of split, be sure to get your ticket early. when we got to the harbor office in split, there was a long line and they were sold out. we were starting to panic.... BUT... we wandered a bit, then discovered that there was another line (a catamaran instead of a ferry) that did have tickets.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 02:15 AM

Take the catamaran if you want to visit Korcula and/or Hvar (there are open air slow ferries from Korcula Island and from Hvar Island to Split too, but not between the Islands); take the bus in all other cases.