itinerary help - europe in december

Sep 14th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

itinerary help - europe in december

Hi all

I am heading to europe in mid december. I have to book my flight and cant decide which city to fly into. I am meeting friend in Prague on the 23rd December and willbe there for christmas.
I plan to fly out on 13th december. I woud like to go somewhere before arriving in Prague.

I have about 9 days

Itinerary suggestions please.

thanks in advance
Sep 14th, 2017, 11:04 AM

It could literally be anywhere in Europe. Have you no thoughts on it you could share? Personally I'd make it as far south as possible but then I'm not fond of cold weather. Give it some thought and let us know.
Sep 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM

I am planning a trip in November and found that the decision basically made itself when I looked at flight times. A lot of the direct flights are seasonal and go away after October. When I factored in all the travel time, it helped me rule out some of the possibilities.

Once you're in Europe it is pretty open, so you could go anywhere and easily catch a flight to Prague Dec 23.

I am going to Rome (via Frankfurt b/c AA) - not just b/c I love it but because it has the most favorable (to me) weather. But I love being outside and not really into museums. If you like museums and "inside stuff" as my kids call it - anywhere is good in December. Paris? Very easy to get there, lots of direct flights.
Sep 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Yes why not fly to somewhere warm like Italy and work your way north by train thru Rome, Venice, Vienna and Prague?

Or into London - train to Paris and onto Munich to Prague?

Or land in Frankfurt and visit Christmas Markets in Germany - Munich and then Prague?

Lots of options just chose a landing place and hit a few cities close enough together to do by train.

To get a fix on European trains and where to go by them check www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets you can book yourself online; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Sep 14th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Amsterdam would be another fly in city -spend say 3 nights there - Amsterdam is alive at any time of year - and then take train thru Germany to Munich - with a few stops? Frankfurt has a legendary Christmas Market.