Search

itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itinerary help

Thank you for your thoughts on our trip. Thinking of visiting London for 6 days then taking Eurostar and TGV to Rennes where we'll pick up a rental car and drive to St. Malo. Explore the area around St. Malo for 4 days then drive to the Loire Valley. Not sure of where we'll stay, suggestions please?? We'd like to visit the chateaux in the area. Stay for about 4 days, than head to Paris. Thinking of leaving car in Loire Valley and taking the train to Paris. Good idea or drive to Paris? Week in Paris then fly back home. Early stages of planning a 2022 trip. Thanks again.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 07:26 AM

I suppose that there exist overnight ferries from Portsmouth to Saint Malo too.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fast and slow ferries from Poole south and Portsmouth south. Direct ferries.com give a few clues.

Yes leave car outside Paris.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Years ago we caught the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo and it was fine, though it felt like a long day on return (leaving the UK was an overnight so we slept, had a basic cabin). There are lounges and places to buy food. Travelling by Eurostar, then TGV, then another train/bus to St Malo would also be a long day but more complicated with transfers to make. The ferry docked right in St Malo and we walked from the port into the inner walled area where we stayed. I'd check out prices and the overall time for each journey - trains/ferry - and see what suits you best. Of course you will need to factor in getting from London to Portsmouth by train.

I would get the train back to Paris from the Loire Valley. TGV tickets can be reasonably priced if you book ahead but expensive, or booked out, closer to the time or on the day. You can book online at home and print a ticket out to take. If you have time, try and visit Dinan. We stayed there two years ago and thought it was lovely.

This site is fantastic for all things train related - seats, reservations, timetables, routes etc. https://www.seat61.com/

Kay
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 09:46 PM
kja

I think your plan makes a lot of sense!

I must admit that I'm not a great fan of St. Malo -- I found it a bit too like a stage set for my tastes -- but many people enjoy it immensely, and you have other options in the area if you choose to change your target location.

Leaving the car in the Loire before returning to Paris is a great idea!

Do you have the Michelin Green Guides for these areas? I think they will help you decide where to stay based on the specific things you prioritize in these regions.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 09:51 AM

Drop off the car in Chartres to take the train to Paris. The rental agency might even be willing to hold your luggage while you visit the cathedral, otherwise first visit the cathedral and then drop off the car. Another luggage storage solution: https://www.eelway.com/en/luggage-storage/chartres
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 10:02 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We were going to Brittany a few years ago and determined that taking the Plymouth - Roscoff ferry was considerably easier (also cheaper IIRC) than taking the Eurostar and changing trains in Paris. We ended up booking an overnight cabin on the ferry, which was cheaper than a hotel would have cost for that night, and we were in Brittany badda bing. There's a Europcar branch right at the dock, and you probably won't have a big drop-off charge anywhere in France (if at all.) The train from Paddington to Plymouth takes around 3 hours. The ferry was VERY comfortable.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice. I knew about the ferry, but was apprehensive. So glad to hear of your good experiences. Right not St. Malo is at/near the top of the lust, but I have more research to do. Think we'll want to visit Mont St. Michel while in the area. I have done a D-Day tour in the past. Wouldn't mind another, but not sure the rest of the family would be as into it as I am. Nice to know there's a car rental at the port. That's a big plus. Just looked on their website....does $215 USD seem like the normal rate for a week-long rental? I assumed it would be more. Thanks again for the helpful replies.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 06:59 AM

<<does $215 USD seem like the normal rate for a week-long rental?>>

Depends entirely on the class of car and what's included. It's not out of line for a subcompact rental without the CDW.