Itinerary Help!!

Old Aug 6th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help!!

Hi everyone!

I will be traveling to Europe in about a year for a 10 week clinical internship about an hour outside of Florence. I'd love any input about my itinerary!

Currently here is my plan:

Sept 17th: Arrive in Sicily. I'm not sure whether I should spend my time in & around Catania or Palermo, so any suggestions are welcome!
Sept 22nd: Meet my clinical group in Milan.

During our 10-week clinical, we will have access to a car. Some weekend trips that have been suggested are: Nice/Ventimiglia, Milan, Venice, Rome, Naples, Verona, La Spezia/Cinque Terre, Trento, and Viareggio.

Nov 30th: Travel to Madrid & stay for 4 nights.
Dec: 4th: Travel to Barcelona & stay for 4 nights.
Dec: 8th: Travel to Annecy & stay for 2 nights.
Dec. 10th: Travel to Paris & stay for 4 nights.

After Paris I will be meeting up with my family in London and we will probably spend 1-2 weeks around London and Ireland.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 05:39 PM

Seems like a goof plan!
10 days you have a lot of time to visit Italy and everything you mentioned is great.
I would say if you are in England I would personally reach Scotland and visit the Highlands.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Okay, great! Do you think the 2 nights in Annecy is reasonable with the travel from Barcelona? A lot of people seemed to think I should skip it, but it seems like such a unique place that I would love to even spend a full day there!
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Annecy - are you planning to fly to Lyon and take the train? I have been to Annecy in the summer, not sure I would go in December. Or if I were going to that area I would keep going to Chamonix. But how much travel time va. How much time actually there?

Three days is incredibly short for Sicily, but if that is all you have, Palermo.

You might consdier Turin, the Lakes and the Dolomites as other places to visit in Italy.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 06:17 PM

What are you interested in?

Looks like somebody put together a list of the main cities but your choices should be based on your interests
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

I was planning to fly to Lyon and then maybe do Rideshare so I wouldn't have to worry about coordinating with the train after the flight.

Oh wow, Chamonix looks beautiful!!
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

@Traveler_Nick I really haven't done a lot of traveling to know what my interests are to be honest. I think I would like to see some of the more popular museums/historical sites but overall would be more interested in scenic, unique areas, beaches, good food/culture.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 06:30 PM

You're arriving mid September . The weather in Northern Europe is already getting iffy some days. I wouldn't expect much beach time after Sicily.

Museums Florence. Turin the Egyptian museum. A Madrid has a collection of them. I'd even think of a weekend flight to Berlin and museum island.

You really don't need a car for the Italian cities on your list. Honestly you don't want a car in most of them.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 10:16 PM

As to # 1 I used to work the Christmas shut downs when Aberdeen still had Paper Mills, not quite the Highlands but still capable of sub zero temps. Not that London and Ireland would be much warmer late December. Depends what you you want but if you are visiting family, get a few days in Ireland out the way first. You could easily occupy a couple of weeks March to October but unless you are fond of wind and rain then over here might not be ideal for the start of winter.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 12:23 AM

Make sure you leave Paris no later than that or you could overstay your 90 days in Schengen. They are getting increasingly strict on that!
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it's a pity you can't put the UK and Ireland at the beginning of the trip. Although London can be fun if hectic around Christmas.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 04:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I was planning to fly to Lyon and then maybe do Rideshare so I wouldn't have to worry about coordinating with the train after the flight.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

I think what I have currently is 88/89 days so I should be leaving the Schengen area just in time!

A lot of people have been saying the time is rushed in Sicily- would I be better off saving Sicily for a later trip and maybe staying in Sorrento and doing Naples/Almafi Coast at the beginning of my trip?
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 05:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>would I be better off saving Sicily for a later trip
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

@Janisj I'm sure at some point I will be back Would you recommend staying in Sorrento to be able to see both Naples and Almafi Coast or somewhere else?
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 06:51 AM

Nov 30th: Travel to Madrid & stay for 4 nights.
Dec: 4th: Travel to Barcelona & stay for 4 nights.
Dec: 8th: Travel to Annecy & stay for 2 nights.
Dec. 10th: Travel to Paris & stay for 4 nights.>

I assume you will be taking trains between Madrid and Barcelona and Annecy and Paris and you could take high-speed trains between Barcelona and Annecy- anyway booking tickets early can save tons of money with discounted but limited in number tickets.

Check www.renfe.com for Spain and www.voyages-sncf.com for Barcelona to Annecy and to Paris - in France savings can be huge.

For lots on trains and booking your own online tickets - www.seat61.com is THE site for help with that - for general info also www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 08:26 AM

I would definitely spend the first few days in Sorrento - for Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. That is enough time to actually get a good tast of the AC and it is not enough time for Sicily.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 08:43 AM

Have your family meet you in Brussels for two nights (the first for them to get over jet lag) for the Christmas market and lights.

Then, the whole family go to Paris for "five" nights so you have four full days.

End in England for a week or so. If the weather is unpleasant, at least you will have tons of museums in both Paris and London, great theater in London and maybe still some Christmas concerts.

Skip dreary, wet, cold Ireland at that time of year. Just my personal opinion though. You might enjoy the pubs and music in the evenings and the people in Ireland are warm and lovely, no matter what the weather is. If you were lucky enough to have snow, Ireland is beautiful. If not, it is just gray and damp or wet and freezing, not fun to try sightseeing that way.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 08:51 AM

Concur with Sorrento and Amalfi Coast instead of Sicily on this trip. You'll need more time for Sicily.

At that time of year, I'd forego Annecy on this trip, given the time of year. Instead, I'd probably train to Amboise and explore that lovely city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -