Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary gets more complex - I need help with my Swiss holiday please..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I am aging or if my kids have finally succeeded in turning me into a dull head but for the first time since i started planning holidays to Europe on Fodors (March 1996), I am actually quite stumped with planning our upcoming holiday to Switzerland.

We love mountians and open areas and so the plan is now to stay at Wengen first without a car to experience the BO for about 4 nights. Alpenrose seems like the Fodors top choice for hotel.

Then we go and pick up a car (where?) and stay ?? -We were considering Lauterbrunnen (but now that we are staying at Wengen, should we drop it?). I had found a lovely Hotel in Kandersteg which was to be our initial base for the BO but was dropped given its location. Now that we are doing Wengen for the BO, should I put in Kandersteg for a couple days?

Then I wanted to add in the Montereux area and have found a nice Farm stay outside Gruyeres. That would be for another say 4-5 nights.

We fly out of Zurich and I wanted to add another charming hotel in the countryside near Bern or Thun where we could stay for the last 3 nights before flying out. Have not found any such hotel yet despite a loooot of time spent researching.

We have stayed in Lucerne before and also it is very expensive to find a nice place there, so are not looking to stay there.

We are a family of 4 (2 A and 2 kids 5 and 9) and we are travelling in early July.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 02:56 AM

I would not relocate from Wengen to another place in the BO. Why not staying in Wengen some more days instead? You could easily do daytrips by train/bus to any place around Kandersteg. And, believe me, Kandersteg is in no way more thrilling than Wengen.

If you want to explore the Montreux area then don't stay in Gruyere or surroundings. It's completely different. To get the actual ambience/scenery of the Montreux/Lake Geneva region you need to stay somewhere along the lake.

If you fly out of Zurich I recommend you do stay closer to this city. I wouldn't add a place near Bern/Thun for the last nights since you have already picked Wengen for the first days of your trip - very similar. Why not staying at the other (eastern) end of Lake Lucerne, like Brunnen? Or what about somewhere east of Zurich, Rapperswil or Lake Walensee?

I.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo. The reason we were thinking of splitting the time in BO is because we don't want to stay too long without a car since our kids are quite small and we have never been on a holiday where we have not had the flexibility and spontaneity a car offers (esp during bad weather or sick child days).

Also, on the lakes, my impression is (may be wrong) that the Lakes area around Montereux would get too balmy and not so lush and open and mountaineous (which we like). I was also struggling to find any charming hotel with an open area (garden like). Hotel Masson was one that I had considered seriously.

Your point on Zurich is a great one. I had never considered east of Zurich etc. Where do you suggest? Any hotel you recommend?

Thanks again Ingo. I remember all your wonderful replies even when I was planning the Engadine holiday. I think great hotel bases are key for our family.And the Hotel Meisser in Guarda was perfect.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Topping!!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Hi again Deepa,

(and thanks for the appreciation of my replies earlier) I still don't get it why you need the car so badly, sorry. If you really do, then consider staying all your days in the BO in Grindelwald or maybe Lauterbrunnen which are both car accessible. I bet the car will sit in the parking lot all the time, though. I've had lousy weather (rain for three consecutive days) during one trip and didn't need my car at all. Got everywhere by bus and train.

Anyway, on to Montreux and Lake Geneva. Balmy is a point to consider, yes. When are you travelling? I stayed at Hotel Masson and loved it, but that was in late September and it was not balmy then. June - August this is probably different. But the area is definitely lush, wide open and mountaineous. The views of the mountains are even better than around Gruyeres.

A friend on this forum used to stay in Küsnacht on Lake Zurich; I don't recall which hotel exactly, maybe the name was "Sonne". Stäfa, a little farther towards Rapperswil is a nice small town/village where you should be able to find a decent small hotel/inn. I cannot recommend a hotel from own experience in this area, sorry.

I.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Hello Deepa

It looks as though you have planned on a total of a week (between Wengen and Lauterbrunnen possibly) in the Berner Oberland.

Traveling with children, esp. hopping around from place to place, can be exhausting on you as well as them. Sometimes you just want to take a day off and do nothing, maybe have the kids go kick a ball or play at a playground.

I would highly recommend you plop yourselves down for a week's stay in a chalet apartment. This would give your family lots of room to spread out, separate bedrooms, have a home-cooked meal, more of a home environment.

In the car-friendly villages of Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald, there are many options for chalet apartments. These are run by families; many of the proprietors even live in the home, and you would be on one of the floors. They have children. I have even seen playscapes, trampolines, etc. in the yards.

Most, however, do require a 7-night stay, but some are flexible, depending on when you're going and their bookings.

If you are keeping your car, parking is usually adjacent to the apartment, with no charge. So on the days you want to take a drive, it is very easy to throw everything in the car you need for the day (snacks/games for the kiddos, etc.), and then be on your way.

Happy travels!

(And a big HELLO to you, Ingo!)
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Ingo and Swisshiker for your replies and sorry if I sound difficult but I am keen to stay in a car free village for about 4 days (to do something different and also to enjoy being right up in the mountains) or so and then pick up a car.

Also, somehow we do not like to stay at apartments since they get kind of lonely and depressing and dirty! We also are big on our breakfasts while on holiday and like to go down to a prepared breakfast with no cleaning up to do after!

Swisstraveller, your point on just staying in one day and doing nothing is a great one. We do end up doing that a lot which is why we like to stay at hotels we find special and charming since we spend more time in there (and around).

Ingo we are traveling in mid June so it might be a bit hot then? I have already been researching on Appenzell area (east of Zurich) that you recommended and will look into Rapperzwell as well.

May end up with 4 days Wengen, 3 days Kandersteg, 5 days Gruyeres and 2 days Appenzell.

What do you think?
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I think I know what you are looking for.

I would take a look at Lenzerheide (above Chur) for a fabulous family hotel. Lenzerheide has a nice mountain lake and it's not too far away from things.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/...ew-306505.html

or

Hotel Victoria Ritter in Kandersteg
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/..._New&id=305306

or
Melchsee Frutt: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/..._New&id=307265

or Saas Fee:
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/..._New&id=306645
or http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/..._New&id=306665

or for Appenzell: Gais in Appenzell (This looks REALLY QUAINT http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/..._New&id=306965

They are all taken from MySwitzerland website. My friend has stayed twice in Lenzerheide and loves it.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Loved your recommendations Schuler! Esp the one in Melchsee Frutt and Appenzell. Thanks so much!

Haven't quite figured out the location for Melchsee Frutt. Would this be as a substitute to Kandersteg or Gruyeres?