2 days in the Sanok area
drive from Sanok to Samosc
1 day in Samosc
drive Samosc to Tokarnia
1 day in Tokarnia
Tokarnia to Krakow (99 km.), return car and take train to Wroclaw
3 full days in Wroclaw
leave Wroclaw for Paris

The question: should I leave some wriggle room in our touring by cutting out a day in Krakow or Wroclaw--if it makes a difference, we do not intend to visit Auschwitz?
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been to some of your smaller areas but I would suggest you just do what you feel like when there. If the issue is that you want to make hotel reservations in advance (I always do), all I can say is I love Krakow and Wroclaw and would not cut their time short. If you have to cut one short, make it Wroclaw rather than Krakow. Two days in Wroclaw would work okay. I never viited Auschwitz, either, so that part is irrelevant in my thinking.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:12 AM

I have myself been to Auschwitz and continue to be stunned by its lessons...lest we forget. So I feel that everyone going to Krakow should make that a day trip.
Bill in Boston
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Cut out a day in Wroclaw. Two days is enough there.

You can buy a dwarf map at the TI in the main square - I had lots of fun looking for them and asking people if there were any in the area. I wouldn't have seen half of the ones I did if they hadn't been pointed out to me.

I used a guide in Wroclaw for a 3 hour tour and thought he was great and very reasonable. Let me know if you're interested in his name and email.

Will you be posting a trip report when you return? I'm interested in the small towns that you'll be visiting; what they offer and why you choose them.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Christina,

We plan on reservations for Krakow, Zakopane and Wroclaw. For the rest we will wing it, as we usually do when out of large cities. I asked the question because I am trying to establish accommodations reservation and car rental days. I mentioned Auschwitz because I thought that that readers might assume that such a visit would be included in a four day stay.

Ozarksbill,

I appreciate your comment, and perhaps such a visit should be obligatory for those far removed from such experiences, but I have seen Dachau more than 40 years ago, read Primo Levi and Jorge Semprun, and my wife is viscerally opposed to and upset by any manifestation of violence.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM
kja

The only one of your planned destinations that I visited was Krakow, and that was many many years ago. I had about 2.5 days there, and saw everything that I wanted to see at the pace I wanted to see it in that time - and that included a day in Auschwitz/Birkenau. So 4 days seems like a lot to me. BUT I have heard that there are now many more things to do in Krakow than when I was there, so I'm not sure I can offer sound advice. It is lovely.

Will you be there after the Lady with an Ermine returns? She really is special.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:39 AM

How can we know if your stay on each place is sort or too long without knowing any of your interests, what you plan to see and do on each area and anything about your travel style?
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:44 AM

Just a quick comment: if only many in the world WERE indeed "viscerally opposed to and upset by any manifestation of violence." I'm thinking of Afghanistan, Syria, Vietnam, Nazi Germany, Stalin's USSR, the list goes on and can include our own cities. Book published last year: "Christianity and Genocide in Rwanda" by Timothy Longman.

So just saying "if only"...and that's why a trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau...yes Birkenau built as a killing machine 'cause Auschwitz couldn't kill enough Jews etc. fast enough.
Bill in Boston
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

mariha2912,

I am using the Green Guide suggestions in terms of time to spend in each city. But when it comes to Krakow it is not clear if the suggestion includes things like an outing to the salt mines or Auschwitz.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 01:52 AM

I am not aware of the Green Guide, and to be honest guides are good to give some pointers but then it is each on his own. Some people love to spend time just walking around and soak in the ambience of a place, other people rush from one attraction to the other, other people are more keen on dinning and/or local markets, other people are fine seen a few of the "must-sees" then move onto next destination...
Personaly I absolutely love museums and historical places and try to visit lots of them, but at the same time I like walking a lot and see different districts and just soaking the ambience, and I do not want to rush. I spend only 2 nights in Wroclaw on January 2011 due to travel limitations and it was no way enough for me, next time I am there I';; try to spend at least 4 nights/3 full days. On Krakow I spent 5 nights/4 full days with one side trip to Auscwitz and one side trip to Wielicka salt mines, and again it was not enough. I think this city deserves at least a full week. Of course WHEN you plan this trip for is crucial, as longer day light hours and wider timetables on the sites will allow you to fit in more into one day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

It's the Michelin Green Guide for Poland.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Samosc or Zamosc? rent your car on last day in Krakow - Krakow old city is closed for traffic - only local deliveries are allowed - so you be wasting your money on parking. may want to visit Wieliczka Salt Mines near Krakow ( but ask about tour from hotel or take the local bus vs driving. In Sanok area visit Lancut. When driving from Zakopane to Sanok check Castles in Niedzica http://maps.google.com/maps?q=49.423020,+20.319450 Niedzica Castle also has a good restaurant so nice place for a break - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niedzica_Castle

Near Wroclaw Visit Ksiaz - Castle with still many undiscovered secrets http://www.en.ksiaz.walbrzych.pl/ ... Casle in Bolkow is also very nice day trip http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamek_w_Bolkowie

With such tight schedule you may want to deduct a day from Krakow or Wroclaw and add that day to Zakopane especially if you will then take a scenic drive from Zakopane to Sanok.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

PeterB,

Thanks for the information.

Zamosc.

We are renting on the last day and returning it on the day we take the train to Wroclaw. Our revised schedule gives us ten days with the car with a possible two days in Zakopane. But it may be that we will take two days to get to Sanok.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:08 AM

in Zakopane minimum go to Kasprowy Wierch peak which is bit outside of the city center, with parking bit out of the way but with local bus service or taxis awaiting to take you to ticket booths ... http://www.pkl.pl/index.php?id=119&L=1 - get ticket to the top round trip( there are also tickets to 1/2 way since you do change the car 1/2 way as well as 1 way since there are trails leading back to the city). http://www.pkl.pl/index.php?id=19&L=1
and also right inside Zakopane walking distance to Gubałówka Funicular Railway that will take you to a very nice spot to view Tatry http://www.pkl.pl/index.php?id=8&L=1
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM

BTW - when driving to / from Zakopane you need to time it right to avoid slow trucks ... especially from/to Rabka ... on the map this distance is short and driving wstimates maybe around 1 hr but in reality this maybe 5x your estimates ... also when driving from Krakow you may have directions to Chyzna ( which is a major crossing to Slovakia - old signs that were never changed) ... Just remember that in Rabka you then will have signs for Zakopane or Nowy Targ and to follow that.