Itinerary for Italy in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to finalize our itinerary and are struggling a bit. We will fly in/out of Rome and will be in Italy for 14 days. So far....in no particular order

Rome (3 days)
Venice (1 day)
Florence (2 days)
Tuscany hill towns (? days)
Cinque Terre (? days)
Is it easier to take day trips out of Florence to surrounding Tuscany hill towns or to stay in a Tuscany town. Is it advantageous to rent a car to tour through Tuscany or is this not necessary. Thanks for any help!!!

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Ohhh, Marathon, are you trying to break my heart? Venice for 1 DAY?

What are your interests for this trip? There are a number of Italy experts on this board (and I'm not one of them), so I'm sure once you've clarified what it is you want to see and do, they can help you refine your itinerary.

But please, more than 1 day in Venice.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM
ira

Absolutely!!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I think Venice needs more than 1 day as well, simply because you need a day to get adjusted to Venice itself - it's so winding and narrow and it's so easy to get lost - after the first day you'll get the feel of it and then you should have at least another day to explore some more. In 14 days I would even think about skipping the CT (at least for this trip) and dividing up your time between the other 4 destinations.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:34 AM

CONsidering some pf those days won't be full days because you will be travelling between cities, I would have spend at least 4 in Rome, 4 in FLorence/Tuscany and in 3 Venice. This leaves 3 for CT. If you want more time in florence/tuscany, then I think you may have to drop CT. A week can easily be spent in Rome alone. 1 day in any of these palces isn't enough.

Is this a first trip to Italy or are you re-visiting some of the places? If a first trip even more reason to not rush so you have time to really soak it in.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Since you are flying in and out of Rome, I'd suggest 4 nights in Rome and night train to Venice on the 5th night. This will put you into Venice very early, but you can drop your luggage at the hotel and start your sightseeing. Spend the 1st day walking and enjoying St Marks Square and Church. The 2nd day you might take the vaporetto to other islands. Stay 1 night in Venice (very expensive) using the 2 days exploring this fabulous city. Take an evening train to Florence and stay for 2 or 3 nights. Rent a car and spend the rest of your time in Tuscany (I loved Pitilugano,Cortona, Sienna, and Asissi) on your way back to Rome. If you cram in the Cinque Terre I think your trip will be a little rushed and you'll feel you missed a lot. I would save the CT and do it with the Italian Lakes at another time.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Given the fly in and out of Rome part (I didn't read the post that carefully the 2st time). Upon arriving in Rome, I'd consider getting a connecting flight to Venice then work your way back to ROme.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:31 AM

You have a very appropriate screen name but a trip to Italy shouldn't be a marathon. I think you are spending too little time in Rome, Florence and Venice. We have been to all several times and I would still prefer to visit these three fabulous cities even if it meant skipping Cinque Terre this time. You could fly into Rome, go immediately to Venice for 3 days, to Florence for 6 so you can take day trips to the Tuscan countryside and end in Rome for 4-5. Or (it pains me to say this), skip Venice and go from Rome to CT for 2 days, spend 3 days in Florence and 3 in the Tuscan countryside and return to Rome for your last 5 days.