Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for first trip to Portugal - does this make sense?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a two week trip to Portugal for September 2009 with my husband. We're in our early fifties and have travelled through much of Western Europe. We love to soak up the culture, eat, drink wine, and take in cultural events.

For Portugal, I have been researching this and other traveller sites as well as reading guide books and fiction about Portugal. I also hope to get the Pimsleur Portugal CDs to learn some of the language.

We don't like to change hotels every night and we like to be busy the first week then for our second week we like to relax for a few days, usually at a beach area. This itinerary is a little busy for us but I'm having a hard time determing what to leave out - maybe too many days in Duoro Vally/Porto? Please tell me what you think and all recommendations are most appreciated.

Saturday to Tuesday:Fly into Lisbon from Montreal (Sintra)

Tuesday to Thursday: Evora and area

Thursday to Saturday: Nazare and area

Saturday to Monday: drive through Coimbra on way to Duoro Valley

Monday to Wednesday: Porto

Wednesday to Sunday: Fly or drive (600 km) to Salmea

Sunday: return to Lisbon for flight home likely Monday morning
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM

My one suggestion might be to do Evora-Douro-Porto-the Nazare-Coimbra section and then on to did you mean Salema?

Thus you would avoid the ambitious drive at the end of your trip. And the distance wouldn't be so great from Nazare as from Porto. Also, there are great beach areas along the Silver Coast which would give you a whole week of beach with Nazare and Salema combined.

I also think you could leave the itinerary as it is except that there is a lot to see in all of these areas and you will have to choose what you wish to leave out. But you certainly can do the hightlights as is.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 06:02 AM

I would do this:
Lisbon area[Cacais]--3 nites
Drive to Obidos--see Sintra enroute--stay Obidos 2 nites to see Nazare, Batahla etc.
Douro valley--3 nites
To Evora---2 nites
Algarve--4 nites but not in Salema--try Lagos
Last nite south of Lisbon at Pousada Palmela
Good luck--you will like Portugal
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sher and Bob. I've been reading both of your posts for Portugal, very helpful!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

What do you think of skipping the Algarve entirely in favour of the beaches along the Silver Coast? I understand that the water is cold in either area so that is not a consideration.

And I chose Salema instead of Lagos because we prefer smaller less touristy beach towns but Bob, you prefer Lagos?
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

topping for myself!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM

I always find Bobthenavigator's advice right on target for the way I like to travel but I disagree with his suggestion to stay in Lagos.

I have traveled to our second home in the Algarve for 20 years and find Lagos interesting but still a big "town".

Salema (or Bergau) offers such sleepy charm, quiet beach and is only a short drive to Sagres and the other beach towns out that way. If this is the type of place you prefer to stay in, Lagos would be a mistake. You could easliy drive into Lagos for a day and return if you find it that enjoyable. I find that it has become a "British" city and lost it's Portuguese flavor somewhat...too much shopping.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM

I don't know about the the Algarve because we have not been.

Several friends of ours have gone and been disappointed with some of the areas, too many tourists.

You are right that the weather may be too cool to enjoy the water but you can still enjoy walking and sitting on the beach.

It also depends on your budget. When we last traveled to Portugal (this past June) the dollar was very low and we picked places to say that I must describe as budget. But we only were on the Alentejo coast and we loved the area and our apartment was only about E45 per night. Our first trip in 2005, we did stay on the Silver Coast in a cottage on a hilltop right over the beach with steps to walk down. Amazing.

Bob always has good tips on places to stay, but frankly, we only do his type of lovely accomodations as treats rather than for two weeks. This is particularly true if you must multiply the Euro times 1.60 or so as we did at the time we were there.

His itinerary suggestion is actually like mine except in reverse starting along the Silver Coast and finishing in Evora and then the Algarve.

Don't sell Lisbon short. It is a wonderful city. I wish I was able to return this coming Spring. I could easily make another trip there.

Happy planning.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Hmmm ! Evidently Lagos has gone Hollywood in the past 12 years since I have been there---I defer to more recent expereince.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having a little trouble decoding this itinerary - I usually track by nights in a given location. Are you actually staying in Lisbon, or not? And for how many nights? I spent seven nights there in November (one day trip to Sintra, one to Belem) and didn't get to everything I wanted to see.

Coimbra is another place that deserves much more time - just driving through really shortchanges it! And Conimbriga, nearby, is definitely worth a stop.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. Here's my rerouted second draft itinerary:

Lisbon 3 nights
Evora and area 2 nights
Douoro Valley and Porto 3 nights
Nazare and area 2 nights
Algarve (Salema) 4 nights
Return to Portugal for 1 night for return flight home.

Sher, we always stay budget too. It's the only way we can afford to travel so much. Did you prefer the Alentejo Coast to the Silver Coast by any chance?

And thanks Bob, Lowcountrycarol and Thurdaysd for all your feedback too, very much appreciated. Not sure how I can fit Coimbra in longer than a day but Thursdaysd do you have some ideas?
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM

Hi Lily. We liked them both. I would have to say the Silver Coast allowed us to visit some of the areas we were interested in at the time.
We had easy access to Batalha, Fatima, Nazare, Obidos and some other places.
We only vegged out in Vila Nova and made it to Sagres. We were not very ambitious by the time we ended up there because we had really toured a lot of the Alentejo.
If I had to pick again, it would be difficult.
In my humble opinion, I would stay again on the Silver Coast if this is your first trip. There are lots of things to do all around the area if the mood strikes you.
Both areas offer budget options.
We just prefer to spend our money on good food rather than rooms. Although, the Pousadas do offer discounts and you may be able to snag a spectacular room at a reduced rate.

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM

Better, but I would still hit Evora as you drive south to the Algarve. Also, do not miss Obidos--close enough to Nazare to stay there.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been to Evora - I was going to make it a day trip from Lisbon this fall, but found too much to do in Lisbon - so I'm not really qualified to judge it, but I think I'd short-change Evora in favor of Coimbra.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for such great info. I need to still tweak my itinerary then I'll be back to inquire about accomodations. Happy Holidays and happy travelling everyone.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM

We may see you in Lisbon Lily! Trying to decide.