Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

itinerary for 9 nights to Switzerland (June)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2012, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

After exploring this forum I've succeeded (with your help) to itinerary and would be happy to get feedback. We are going two adults (30+) and our baby and my parents (age 65-70). Our limitations:

1. My wife has fear of height. She agreed to go on two cable cars (while closing her eyes and while the altitude is around 2000m. She also doesn't like strenuous walking.

2. A baby - can't go more than 1800m I think.

3. My father has heart problems. I don't how much he can go up, let's say around 1300m.

oh..and we will be with two cars.

Day 1 - Saturday - Coming from Germany, stopping in stein am rhein village (09:00-10:30). Driving to lauterbrunnen. Going up to Wengen. Sleeping in Hotel staubbach in lauterbrunnen.

Day 2 - Sunday - Me, my wife and baby will walk from the hotel to Trummelbach falle. Visiting the falls, taking the bus back. Going up to Murren. On noon/afternoon my parents will join us and we will go to Wengen.Sleeping in Hotel staubbach in lauterbrunnen.

Day 3 - Monday - Early in The morning I will take the train to Männlichen and will start the walking to Kleine Scheidegg (Is it worth to go up in Männlichen for the point of view or I'd better start walking to catch the early morning view with no clouds??). My wife will meet me in Kleine Scheidegg restaurant and we will sit there for an hour. Then taking the train back to lauterbrunnen. Going to Interlaken for Groceries and to our apartment in Iseltwald. During afternoon going to Grindelwald.Sleeping in Iseltwald.

Day 4 - Tuesday - Taking a cruise from Iseltwald to Brienz village. visiting the village. taking the cruise back to Gissbach Falls, take the funicular up to Gissbach hotel cafe. After 1-2 hours taking the a cruise back to Iseltwald. Will we have any spare time during this day??

Day 5 - Wednesday- A market day in Thun. Driving to Aareschlucht and walking the route there. I'm hesitating if we should start the day in the market (operating 07:00-18:30) or Aareschlucht (opening 09:00-17:00)?? Sleeping in Iseltwald.

Day 6 - Thursday - lucerne. Sleeping in Iseltwald.

Day 7 - Friday - Bern. Sleeping in Iseltwald.

Day 8 - Saturday - Driving to Gruyères (visiting the village + castle + St-Jean Festival) . Driving to Broc chocolate factory - doing a workshop of two hours + tour. Again don't know if to start the day in Broc or Gruyères . Going back to Iseltwald.

Day 9 - Sunday - Driving from Iseltwald to Appenzell. Stopping in Zug spruengli store. Going to Appenzeller show dairy in Stein and visiting Appenzell village. Sleeping in Appenzell.

Day 10 - Monday - Driving to Säntis and going up in Cable car for a view (me alone). Driving to Austria.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume you realize you'll have to leave your car in Lauterbrunnen and take the train to Wengen, as it's car free.

As you'll have a car though, you could drive to Trummelbach, and prevent taking the bus back, unless of course, the whole idea is to enjoy the walk. As your parents are joining you, perhaps just wait and go to Wengen on Day 2, instead of also on Day 1?
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Since my wife doesn't like strenuous walking and I've heard that walking from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach is easy and enjoyable (is it??) I thought of doing such a walk. I guess it will take us around 2 hours. Am I right?

In day 1 we are getting to Lauterbrunnen around 15:00 or even later after long drive. Trummelbach is closed at 17:00 so I we could go to Murren or Wengen. We will be in both of them the next day plus to Wengen we won't need a cable car, so that's why I thought of Wengen (I also heard the traind ride there is lovely).
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM

Here is a panoramic picture of the region in case you have not seen one:

http://mappery.com/map-of/Jungfrau-G...ion-summer-map

Any of the final approach to Männlichen, whether from Grindelwald or from Wengen, requires a cable car. The most spectacular dangling in the air experience is the cable car from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald. If your wife does not want to do this, you have to travel to Mürren via Grütschalp funicular/train combo.

Day 3 looks very busy.

Since you are dealing with mountain weather, you would probably need to rearrange the sequence of visit if only some days are going to be clear. Do destinations requiring view such as Männlichen on a clear day and do Trummelbach on a cloudy day. You would want a clear day at Mürren to see mountains across the valley.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Is the walking route Lauterbrunnen-Trummelbach flat and easy to do? Can be done on cloudy day?

As for day 3 - I calculated that if I leave Lauterbrunnen around 07:30-08:00 and do the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg route it will take me around 3 hours. Then sitting with my wife in Kleine Scheidegg and maybe explore the area another 1.5 hours. We got to around 12:30. Going back to Lauterbrunnen then to Interlaken and Iseltwald another 3 hours. So it is 15:30. In 16:30 or 17:00 we can drive to Grindelwald, there is still lights and I have heard it is a unique experience to be in "Terrassenweg" during evening. What do you think?

Also, do you highly recommend the cable car from Stechelberg. I can go all the way up and immediately down while my wife is waiting me for me, just wonder if it's worth it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:08 AM

Yes, the walk to Trummelbach is flat and easy. It only takes 1:45 to walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, so I'm guessing it's well under an hour to walk from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach. We've done it many times, but I can't find the exact walking time in my notes. Yes, you can do it on a cloudy day. We've done it in the pouring rain, although I don't recommend that!

The cable car from Stechelberg to Murren is definitely worth it, even if just for the thrill and scenery.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!!

Is it true that while walking from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach will need to walk on a busy road? Is it safe?
Or would I better do the walk from Trummelbach to Stechelberg? Which route is prettier?
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:19 AM

I walked from Stechelberg, the cable station for the Schilthorn,back to Lauterbrunnen last September and took including coffee stop at the falls about two and a half hours. There is very little to explore around Kleine Scheidegg, you might like to return via Grindelwald rather than going back on yourself and the train goes down by the North Face of the Eiger.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

and no walking on the road? Is it paved and can be done with a baby carriage?
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:49 AM

nice maps Greg!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:00 PM

No walking on the road that I recall. There's a paved path all the way.