Itinerary Feedback for Rome/Florence/Venice this December-January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm finalizing my itinary and would love feedback. It's our first time to beautiful Italy!

ROME: December 26-31st, Staying at Residenza Canali ai Coronari near Piazza Navona. STILL waiting on response from Scala Reale re: Vatican tour. I'm about to give up on them!
Rent car on our last day in Rome, thru Avis, drive to...

FLORENCE: December 31st-January 2nd, Staying at Tulip Inn Mirage on Via Francesco Baracca. Is this too far from the main walking center of Florence? Will parking be a problem in town?
Drive to...

VENICE: January 2, 2004-January 5th
Staying at Pensione La Calcina on Dorsoduro 780. How long is the drive from our hotel location in Florence to Venice? Is this a manageable distance?
Drive to Milan for Malpensa Airport...

MILAN/MALPENSA: January 5th-January 6th
We are looking into Hotel Cervo or the First Hotel near the Malpensa Airport. Our flight departs Malpensa at 11 am and we would be returning our car to the airport that morning.

Does this itinerary sound reasonable? Any help would be very appreciated!

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:58 PM

I'm all for having a car and doing driving vacations, but I'm trying to figure out the justification in your case for having a car and the expense of it. Are you planning to go out and drive in Tuscany from Florence? I doubt that you have time to do that. I'm sure you won't use the car at all in Venice, but will simply be paying to park it for three days.

Regarding Milan -- you're staying one night? I'd stay right in the city and with all the savings from the car rental, just take a taxi to the airport in the morning. Why stay out by the airport if you are planning to go into the city to see the attractions there. And the extra time you have to allow to turn in the car in the morning, could better be spent going that extra distance by taxi from the city.

If it were me, this is one itinerary, I'd simply stick to the trains -- so nice, so easy, so stress free.

Otherwise, the times in each city sound great.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:02 PM
mjs

I just have a few comments/questions. First why are you getting a car? You do not want one in Florence or in Venice.
Trains are cheap, fast and easy. Secondly why fly out of Milan? I would think it better to fly out of Venice and spend more time in Tuscany where you could take in some of the smaller towns with more time.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far. I guess I should've mentioned I'll be 6 months pregnant when we're in Italy. Driving *seemed* to make sense since I wouldn't be able to carry heavy luggage and wouldn't be forced to wait in lines or be stuck waiting for trains. Plus, in case of emergency, we'd be mobile. Perhaps I'll reconsider the car rental. Plus, we weren't sure what to expect re: train schedules/availability on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. I suppose I may reconsider the car option since I've gotten advice to go without! We are stuck flying out of Malpensa to get the cheaper airfare. I would've much preferred to fly out of Venice! Thanks for the feedback, Fodorites! Keep 'em coming!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:04 PM

I think you will find the car more aggravating because you won't be able to use it most of the time. And the places to which you are traveling are easily accessible by frequent trains--every hour or two.

Driving in Florence or in any Italian city is very tricky--so many narrow one-way streets, vespas weaving in and out. "In case of emergency" you probably won't be mobile because you will have difficulty parking anywhere close to the places you want to visit. (Much of central Florence is pedestrian-only. Cars in Venice are parked all in one spot, not very central to most sights.)

If you are concerned about carrying luggage at that point in your pregnancy (1) pack light, (2) hire a porter, (3) make a deal with your traveling companion about carrying luggage.

Via Francesca Baracca IS pretty far from central Florence. Why are you staying there? I can see why you might think a car would be helpful, but I think it would actually add aggravation to your visit to Florence. Either change to a more central hotel or use your car rental money for cabs from the Inn to the center of town.

Best wishes and have a great trip!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi first,

One more voice for not getting a car. With the money you save you can take cabs and hire porters.

Remember that porters in Italy are entrepreneurs. Negotiate the charge before you give them luggage.

Also make sure that your taxi is legal, has a meter and that you know the fare before you get in.

The Tulip Inn is aboout 7km out of town and useful only if you have a car. You will find much better hotels if you do a text search on "Florence AND Hotels".

You might also find this link helpful
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

Have a great trip.