Where to Park in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be driving from Milan to Florence,staying a couple of days and then driving to Venice. Any suggestions on where to park in florence, or would it be better if we took the train from one location to the other?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM

heymo

If you don't plan to use the car for day trips, I suggest training from Milan to Florence and Florence to Venice. Parking in Florence is a pain, but I can recommend a garage with decent enough rates if you are anywhere near Santa Croce.

Then, driving to Venice, you will have to drop your car off. We have done this in Mestre and Piazzale Roma, and I thought both were time consuming and inconvenient.

Where are you staying in Florence? That can make a difference. And do you actually want to use the car to see things as you go from destination to destination, or do you just want to get to Florence and Venice? Makes a huge difference, IMO.

I have had a car in Florence twice where two different hotels called the parking people, who picked up and dropped off the car. A big help. Also driven in while staying in an apartment and parking in a garage on our own. Price difference was not that much.

Hope this helps.
Debbie
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM

Hello heymo, I sure agree with tuscanlifeedit. If you just want to get from Milan to Florence and then Florence to Venice I would utilize the train. If you need the car to see places along the way then I would let the hotel in Florence know that you will have a car and have them make the arrangements. And of course you have the info regarding where to park your car when you arrive in Venice.

Or if you only need the car from Milan to Florence and not from Florence to Venice then find out where to turn the rental car in at Florence.

Paying for a rental car while spending time in Florence and then time in Venice is a waste of money unless you will need the car for seeing areas travelling from city to city.

Whatever you decide, have a beautiful trip in Italy!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. The train was my thought as well, but my husband, having to be there for work, was concerned about where he could put all his luggage on the train. Also, if we're flying in to Malpensa airport, is there a train that goes from the airport to the main station in Milan?

Any suggestions about Florence? I was there once, but only for the day. The B&B we're staying at is right next to the Duomo...
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:49 AM

Check with your B&B. they will probably arrange parking for you. Our small hotel in the middle of Florence arranged for our car to be taken away to be parked within a minute of our arrival and it was returned to us as soon as we requested it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:44 AM

From your second response, I am gathering you intend driving from Malpensa into Milan. Your call, but in my opinion, a very large sized mistake!!!

Driving in larger Italian cities is very difficult. The road that was one way yesterday is one way today, but in the opposite direction, making map reading a joke. Traffic is heavy, drivers drive extremely fast, and if you are uncertain about where to turn, you are fated to have a major headache.

There are buses at the airport that will deliver you within a reasonable distance of your hotel. Take a cab from the drop off point and save all that aggrevation for when you get home and open your credit card statement!!

Carol L
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM

Hello heymo, there is a shuttle bus at Malpensa Airport that runs about every 20 to 30 minutes. It will deliver you to the Central Train Station in Milan. The trip will take around 40 minutes or so, depending on traffic. This shuttle bus has luggage storage so no problem regarding your luggage. You can get a taxi at the train station to take you to your hotel.

Enjoy your trip!