Car rental Pick up location in Florence and drop off in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lovely wife and I looking for up to date advice on which Florence location to pick up our car and which Venice location to drop it off.

Here is our itinerary:
After our stay in Florence, we have arranged with AutoEurope to pick up our car at 9am in Florence and then drive to Montisi in Tuscany. After a week there, we plan to drive to Venice and drop the car off. The question is, which locations to pick up and drop off?

Our choices for Florence pick up are:
FLORENCE DOWNTOWN OFFICE 53 / 55R VIA BORGO OGNISSANTI
or
FLORENCE AIRPORT

My perceptions are that the airport is more expensive (extra taxes) and requires a taxi trip to get there from downtown. Is it easier to drive from the airport versus the downtown location? How difficult is it driving out of Florence from the Via Borgo Ognissanti?

In Venice, we're staying at Fondamenta Battello, so it seems more efficient to drop the car off at Piazzale Roma, Venice Downtown location rather than the airport. Is this wise? Is it easy enough to navigate and find? I don't want to take a wrong turn and drive in a ZTL zone.

If you have driven either of these, please comment on your experience.

Thank you!
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 02:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We used the Borgo Ognisanti address in Florence and it was easy to get out to the autostrada from there. We picked a car up there once and another time, dropped one off.
For Venice, use Piazzale Roma drop off.
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 10:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Whether to pickup <i>within Florence city</i> or <i>at the airport</i> is a hotly debated topic on travel forums. Many would say Florence is a minefield of ZTL zones, bus lanes etc. and likely to be stressful for a tourist and result in fines if you're not careful - see https://www.visitflorence.com/touris...-ztl-zone.html for information.

That said, people do rent at the Borgo Ossanti location <i>(which may be closer)</i> and leave the city, by meticulously following exit directions provided by agency staff/following a well-planned route.

Personally, I chose to rent at the airport last year <i>(it will incur a premium location surcharge, it will entail a short taxi or bus ride to get there see https://www.visitflorence.com/gettin...ce/by-air.html) </i>, only to avoid any stress around this whilst on a holiday. More about the airport location and the exit routes <i>(avoiding the city altogether) </i>appear here http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/drivin...ce_airport.htm