Search

Itinerary advice for Spain/Portugal?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary advice for Spain/Portugal?

Hello!
We are a couple in our early 30s, well travelled, flying into Barcelona on Sept. 15 and flying out of Lisbon on Sept. 24. We are renting a car and have no problem driving up tp 5 hours a day if we need to. We like areas that are more authentic and historic, but would to spend a little time on some nice beaches that are still warm enough for swimming at this time of year. We love food, and wouldn't mind doing some wine tasting if possible. My husband wants to do the south of Spain, but I have heard such wonderful things about the north. As for Portugal, I haven't even begun to research it yet. Any advice would help tremendously. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Rent two cars...JUST JOKING!!!

For warmth and beaches go south.
The wine tasting depends on which wineries you want to go to. You need appointments for some.

For Portugal do a quick search here and a wealth of info. will come up to get you started on your research.

If you have time click on my moniker and read all about my 2.5 Month trip to Spain, Portugal and more. It is in 7 or 8 parts. We love food, wine, beaches, history etc...

Happy Research
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM

For Portugal you may see this sites:
www.portugal.org/
www.portugalinsite.pt/
www.guiadeportugal.pt/
Historic places:
Lisbon, not far from Lisbon you have Sintra (is classified by UNESCO as of outstanding cultural importance), Mafra (the convent); Alcobaça, Tomar e Batalha (the ancient monasteries and convents of the religious orders).

Central Region of Portugal:
Aveiro; Castelo Branco; Viseu and Guarda, are good!
This region is made up of two contrasting areas. The extensive beaches and fishing villages which lie along the coast and the interior where mountains and plateaus dominate the landscape.

North of Portugal: Braga/Guimarães(The first portuguese capital, where was born the first king of this country)/Amarante and Porto.
Porto is the second biggest city of Portugal, you may visit some Port Wine Lodges in Vila Nova de Gaia.
If you want beaches you must go to the South of Portugal:
Region of Alentejo (go to Portocovo; Évora) and Algarve (the best wheater!)

If you love food and wine, Portugal is one of the best places to go. You will see...

Good trip

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Too far for my taste. When will people learn that Barcelona is a wonderful destination but does not fit with a Spain/ Portugal itineray--especially in 9 days. Centro Spain takes a week, Andalusia takes another 10 days, and Portugal deserves 2 weeks. Barcelona fits with the south of France. I would drop either Barcelona or Portugal--or fly to Seville. You have 3 trips here.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your helpful replies. My husband picked up 3 travel guides last night so we have a little more info. I can't wait to go! I'd love to spend more time and divide our trip into three separate ones as Bob suggested, but I'm sure we'll have enough time to get a feel for what areas we really enjoy, and plan accordingly next trip. We are always travelling, so this won't be a once-in-a-lifetime visit to this part of the world. We have decided to start with 2 nights in Barcelona, and then drive to the south of Spain and up to the Lisbon area, stopping along the way. Thanks very much again for all your kind and valuable input.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Do yourself a favor and run viamichelin for your routings and times. When we drove from Seville to Barcelona we spent an overnite enroute. It will be a 12 hour drive with meals and stops. After four 2 week trips to Spain and two 15 day trips to Portugal we still have not seen it all. Good luck !
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 07:57 PM

If you follow Bob's excellent suggestion about www.viamichelin.com, remember that most people think that Michelin's driving directions UNDERestimate the required time and will ususally add at least 20% to the time Michelin allows.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, Bob and Alohatoall. Sadly, this is turning out to be a more of a 'drive-by' vacation than I thought (husband booked the tickets, not me!) Here is our itinerary so far:

-2 nights in Barcelona
-drive to Alicante area, spend one night
-drive to Granada area, spend night
-drive to Malaga area, spend night
-drive to Tavira area, spend night
-drive to Sintra area, spend night
-drive to Lisbon, spend night

We plan to take the scenic routes to all these places. I would love to hear your opinions on my choices. We have only booked lodging in Barcelona so far, so we're pretty flexible on that itinerary. Can anyone suggest certain towns we should stay at in these areas? Maybe we should omit or add something? Is it worth it to see Gibraltar? I would also love to see Seville, but I don't think there's enough time. Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Montrealgirl:

Wow...ok, I'll go back to my original thought...rent two cars.

If you are fine with what hubby has mapped out then go for it...I would have a heart to herat with hubby and ask him...again...what IS the purpose of this trip?

You may not need to book hotels...possibly take turns driving while the other sleeps?

I am a "do-it-all" traveller but Montrealgirl you have even me stumped.
Don't let the Tourbus companys see what hubby has designed...they may want him to come work for them.

I am just funnin' with you. If your travel skin is thin, accept my apologies in advance.

Have fun and get on one page with your hubby because no matter what we all say it is you who will be in the one car(smile) with him.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:28 AM

hi Montrealgirl

Whatever is the fine tuning of your travel, you should be aware that you are doing an average of 300 km or 200 miles per day, meaning 3 to 4 hours non stop.
The only way I imagine this can be done is waking up early, take a highway to the next destination, arrive there by luch time, spend the afternoon/evening there and repeat all over again in the next day.
Using highways is feasible, no way using scenic routes.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Wow--I am sorry, but that is a mess.
Tell us what is fixed and cannot be changed. Can you skip Portugal and fly home from Madrid? This trip should have no more than 3 destinations--probably Barcelona, Seville, and either Madrid or Lisbon. Include the beach only is you can fly from Malaga.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your messages, I wish I could change our tickets, but unfortunately I am stuck with those dates. We fly into Barcelona on the 15th and somehow have to make it to Lisbon to fly out on the 24th. I am totally into taking whatever route would be best, thanks to all for your concern and suggestions. I'm starting to feel kind of sad about the state of this vacation so far. Is is salvageable with an alternate route? To the north, or straight across the country? I'm open to all your expert advice! Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, also forgot to mention that our car rental has also already been paid for the week, with agreement to pick up in Barcelona and drop off in Lisbon, so flying anywhere isn't really an option either
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM

At this point, you would probably be better off to see if you could cancel the rental car and pay a cancellation fee. That way, you could spend 3 or 4 days in Barcelona, take the train to Seville for 2-3 days and train or fly to Lisbon. Or Barcelona, Malaga and Lisbon. If you stick with your original plan, you simply won't see anything.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Montrealgirl:
just to chime in - you and your husband sound exactly like me and mine - we are traveling from Madrid to the south and west for three weeks in november....things will work out. dont get bummed - but it sounds like you are getting some knowledgable advice now - which is better than later. Good luck to you. we want to wine taste too! too bad we are going at different times!