Is Portugal cheaper than Spain?

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM
jane

Is Portugal cheaper than Spain?

Planning a 2 week trip to the Iberian peninsula around the 1st of March. Because of the weather and the season, looking at either Andalucia or Portugal. Like to spend in depth time in one area rather than trying to just hit the highlights of everything briefly. While interested in the usual prime tourist sites, also very much enjoy visiting the smaller places that are off the beaten path. Interested in both countries equally, have never been to either, and will probably visit both eventually. Looking at budget to moderate places for lodging and meals, and renting a car for some of the time. Would also be interested in finding some places that have self-catering facilites. Which country would be the cheapest to visit? Am intersted in comments from people who have visited both countries recently. Thank you in advance.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:14 PM
frank

Portugal is slightly cheaper, but the biggest difference for both countries is between the coastal tourist resorts & the rest of the country.Tourist beach spots are more expensive than even popular tourist cities like Seville.
The countryside is cheapest.For instance try Tarifa & the costa de luz (Cadiz!) rether than the costa del sol (torremolinos etc).Also these places are less tacky.(beaches are windy hence lack of tourists)

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Dilermando

We stayed 15 days in Portugal and 15 in Spain recently. In general, Portugal is a little bit cheaper than Spain. I would suggest limiting your trip to Portugal. You don't need a car to visit Lisbon (it will be a nuisance). Buy one touristic pass, allowing you unlimited public transportation + free entrance (or reduced fees) at museums + special tours. Wanderind in Lisbon is great. A rented car will be the best solution for the remaining of the trip, delay boarding it to the moment you are leaving Lisbon. Any touristic guide will offer you a great choice of places to see in Portugal. I strongly suggest you to include a visit to Porto (north of Portugal) and the region around the valley of the Douro River. In Porto, parking is difficult, the same for downtown driving. Leave your car in the hotel garage, and use public transportation. Food is great everywhere in Portugal. Try the "pastelarias" if you are after a snack, a coffee or a candy (vey good ones). I strongly suggest you buy the Michelin Spain&Portugal Tourist and Motoring Atlas. Leaving the main roads, we found the unexpected: small villages, curiosities, a variety of great sights. Read a résumée of Portugal History, it will put into correct perspective the historical sites and buildings, and explicit the major cultures (greek, roman, muslim) whose interplay explains the genesis of Portugal. Boa viagem (have a nice trip) !

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:27 AM
tom

I'm interested in this question too. Any other replies?

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal is chepaer then spain

I have found some sites that may help you, for hotels try:
www.hotelsportugal.com
for cars please check:
www.portugal-spain.com
www.drive-portugal.com
www.travelers-portugal.com