Reload this Page >

Iternary Help-4 nights in Rome, Florence & Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:30 AM
nadienc

We have planned to spend 4 nights in Rome and take the train to Florence. We planned to spend 4 nights in Florence and take the train to Venice where we will stay for 4 nights and fly home. Is 4 nights in Venice too long? What type of activities could we fill 4 days with in Venice? Should we stop stop somewhere else before Venice? What do you think?

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We recently spent four nights in Venice and still never got to see everything we wanted to. Some people will differ, but I think that four nights is actually perfect for most.

Personally, I could spend a week there, but I think four days is quite adequate.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:42 AM

I think you have the proper balance. Bon voyage!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:11 AM
donnabee

If you do not plan to go to any museums or churches in Venice, JMO, 4 days is too long. I would add another day or two onto Rome.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:14 AM
SRS

I would spend 4 days in Venice. It's a a great place to walk around and just absorb the atmosphere. If you end up feeling like you have too much time, you can always take a day trip to a nearby city. Rick Steves' Italy suggests several great day trip ideas.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:16 AM

If you don't plan to go to any museums, churches, or ruins in Rome, 4 days is too long. I'd add another day or two to Florence.

If you don't plan to go to any museums or churches or look at any naked David statues in Florence, 4 days is too long. I'd add another day or two to Rome.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:48 AM

There is more than enough to do in Venice for 4 days. The basics are San Marco and the Basilica and Doges Palace. You can take a trip to Murano or Burano. Visit the different neighborhoods, we found the Jewish Ghetto very interesting. There were many things we never got to do in our 3 days. There were some churches we wanted to visit, and a museum (can't remember the name) where the build gondolas. Also their was an art museum called Palazzo ?? (maybe someone can help me out with my memory lapses) that had an Etruscan exhibit that looked interesting (this was 2 yrs ago). Also the Guggenhiem I'm sure is worth a visit. Most import thing though in Venice is walking, wandering and exploring. You can never get enough of that!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:59 AM

After I finished my post, I did a quick search. I found this great website listing Venice museums, http://www.veniceword.com/p2vemuseums.html. The 'gondola' museum was actually Museo Storico Navale (I though my kids would have enjoyed this one). The other was, I think, Palazzo Cini. Check hours before you visit these museums and also if reservation are necessary.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:21 AM

aguestinvenice.com is also an excellent source for info on activities in Venice.

I also have a file on your cities; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

I think your itinerary is great.
Choices are difficult; I might consider taking one day away from Florence and adding it on to Rome, but that's up to you.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:16 AM
rsm

We were there for 3 full days and found it ample time to see most everything. The 150 islands that make up Venezia are really quite small in area. I think you would be happy with (3) days. I might offer a good (very detailed) city map you may want to purchase. Hallwag international "city flash" maps. They also offer others of major cities around the world. Had one for Rome. Outstanding. Have Fun

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Rufus--you are bad, but I totally concur