Italyby.com - hotel booking website

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hotel in Rapallo seems to be offering a rate that is about 30 euros lower on this hotel booking website than if I contact the hotel directly. Has anyone had experience using this website for hotel reservations?
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 05:46 PM

I used them for two reservations back in 2006 for Italy and I have also used their Franceby.com web site as well.

They seem to be perfectly reputable. In the bookings I made, I guaranteed the reservation with my credit card but paid the hotel directly upon arrival.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM

I just checked them out for the first time last night, too, and the prices are cheaper. Keep in mind most are quoted per person not per room.

The site seems reputable, as it was recommended on these boards (that's how I found it, anyway!).
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

I noticed when I click on the "booking" tab, the rates given seem to be for the room, and not per person. Anyway, I have sent off inquiries to a few hotels thru italyby.com and will see if the rates are really cheaper than on the hotel websites, when the hotels respond.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:33 AM

The hotels we've booked thru them so far have all been per room per night.

When I sent a rate request thru Italyby.com for a hotel in San Gimignano...it was the hotel that answered me back. The same thing happened for one of the French hotels we were looking at.

All the hotels we've booked thru them are to be paid directly to the hotel...rates confirmed by the hotel owner. We only guaranteed with our credit card to hold the room. They do not appear to be an Expedia where the hotel is prepaid.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:23 AM

I like Italyby.com too - actually it is part of the www.worldby.com, so for major cities they also have Barcelonaby, Romeby, Londonby.

One note of caution: their photos make the rooms/apartments nicer than they really are. The places I booked through them are perfectly O.K. - just not as nice as they appeared in the photos posted.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:27 AM

just an explanation ...

I am not totally naive and do realize that many hotels website make the places more attractive than they really are - that's part of advertising. What I'm saying is that there are more disparities between photos and reality here.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

The two hotels I sent requests to thru italyby.com responded directly; one of them is offering the same rate it offers on its own website although it looked like it would be less on the italyby.com website. The other doesn't seem to indicate rates on its own website (or if it does, I can't find them). I'm going to try a few more hotels and see if there's any discount to be had by booking thru italyby and if not, I prefer to book directly with the hotel.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM

orangetravelcat....I don't believe Italyby.com sets the hotel prices. It is my understanding that they are just a referral service for the hotels and you are in essence dealing directly with the hotel by way of a second party. I believe it is a way for the hotels to get more exposure.

Why book with them and not directly with the hotel. It is mostly a matter of security. If you send your credit card information to the hotel via email, you don't know whos hands that info could fall into. The web sit is offering a secure booking method.

The website states:
Safe Technology: Our secure server software (SSL) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name and address, so that it cannot be read as it is sent via the Internet.

Safety in Numbers:
Since the start of trading WorldBy.Com (authorised Tour Operator according to Italian and European law) has taken care of over 1,000,000 travellers without a single case of credit card fraud.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

you bring up a good point, crazy4travel, that i hadn't thought of - credit card security. thanks.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM

I've actually used Florenceby (a subsidiary of Italyby, which is part of Worldby) once to book my room, and found it to be rather pleasant. You're dealing with the owners/managers themselves when you e-mail them. Sometimes you get cheaper rates through this website, sometimes you don't, so I always check many sources before booking.

In any case, I had an excellent experience and would use them again. But like all things, bring a copy of your e-mail with your confirmed rate should any disputes come up.