Italy with a few days in Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling in mid-late April 2009 to Italy, and have decided to fly into Prague first for a few days, then on to Italy (via flight). If I plan to visit Rome, Florence, Cinque Terra, and Milan, is it best to fly from Prague to Rome, or Prague to Milan? I am trying to decide what order I should choose for Italy visits. Any suggestions? Also, flying from/back to Boston, if that makes any difference, and am flexible on Italy airports. Thanks
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Weatherwise, I'd start in Rome and work north. But have you checked your flight options/costs of flying home from Rome v. Milan?
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Good idea re: the weather. I am using frequent flier miles, so there is no impact cost wise for the different airports, just time options.
Another aspect is that we will be spending Easter in Prague, then the Mon or Tues after, flying to Italy. Not sure if that has an impact on crowds to the degree that we would want to start in the Milan area.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Before I booked my frequent flier flight from Boston to Prague, then Milan to Boston, I checked the approx. cost of a low cost airline (skyeurope, etc) flight from Prague to Rome. The cost was less than $100 per flight. Now, the flights are available for the timeframe I need (Apr 09) but the flight on SkyEurope from Prague to Rome is over $400!!! Does anyone know if this will come down in price? Also, has anyone taken a train from Prague to Dresden, then a flight from Dresden to Rome? I am looking for feasible alternatives, because $400 for a one way ticket for a less than 2 hour flight seems crazy. Thanks,
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM

If you are flying on the day after Easter, you are likely to find everything in Milano shut up tight. It's a federal holiday. You would to much better flying to Roma.

I live not far from Cinque Terre and weather is iffy for April. Certainly the trails cannot be hiked in wet weather. You might get gorgeously sunny days, warm enough to eat outside, but you should frequently check the weather once you arrive in Italy, and if the weather forecast for Liguria is non-stop rain, have a back up plan. (Mine would be Bologna and Ravenna, after Firenze, then onto Milano.)
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM

The Easter Monday holiday is another reason why flights might be expensive and scarce that day. Can you postpone flying from Prague Italy to Tuesday? Or leave Prague on Sunday? We flew into Venice on Easter Sunday last year from London as that was the cheapest day all that week for a ticket.