Italy: VERY Preliminary Itinerary

First trip.
2 cities.
Fly into Venice and out of Rome.

3 days (includes arrival day), 3 nights Venice

2 days, 2 nights Asolo & Conegliano (wineries) with a car

1 day return car, Train to Rome

4 days (including arrival day), 4 nights Rome

2 days, one night Ostia Antica, Cerveteri, Tarquinia With Car?

fly home.

Obviously, we've chosen our areas of focus but would like a few days out of the cities.
Your thoughts?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asolo and Conegliano, how interesting!

Conegliano is my "home away from home". I hope you enjoy it and the area as much as I do. When in Conegliano do go up the windy road to the Castle of Conegliano. There is a cafe there among the gardens. You can look out of the city, the valley and to the Dolomities. Also, about 15 minutes north of Congegliano is the town of Vittorio Veneto you might enjoy visiting. The movie "In Love and War" with Sandra Bullock was filmed there.

If you take the main road between Asolo and Congegliano you can stop at Castlefranco and also Treviso if you are not in a hurry.

Do you have hotels in mind?

Also I was just thinking. If you could return your car in Conegliano you could take the train from the train station there (right in the middle of town) and train to Rome. Would save you some time.

I will look forward to your report.

And Venice and Rome! What a delightful trip you have planned. Enjoy!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:43 PM

It will cost more to rent a car twice. If you want to spend a night or two around Cerveteri, you could drive there from Venice then return your car and spend the end of your trip in Rome. Or you can return the car in Venice, train to Rome and spend five nights there, taking trains to Ostia Antica and Cerveteri.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:45 PM
DAJ

Have you checked out the flights logistics yet? When starting my planning for our May 2005 Italy trip (Venice & Rome), my initial intent was to fly into Venice and out of Rome.However, I found the flight availability was much better doing the reverse: Fly into Rome and out of Venice.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We're thinking of traveling about this time next year, so nothing is firmly decided other than the choices of Rome and Venice.

I like the idea of returning the car in Conegliano. I'll check if that is possible.

Trains appear to be a good option for Ostia Antica. Previous postings indicated getting to both Cerveteri and Tarquinia in one day via public transportation would be "pushing it."

I've looked at some flight options, but it is still too early to get the actual flight availability. I'm hoping to be able to do it this way so as to get the connecting flight done on the way over when we're still looking forward to the trip. I hate changing planes and all that goes with it!!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:22 AM
ira

Hi x,

>Ostia Antica, Cerveteri, Tarquinia With Car?<

There is train service. See www.trenitalia.com/en