Italy Travel Help?

Apr 11th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Italy Travel Help?

My husband and I are planning to honeymoon in Italy next month. We'll fly into Venice and out of Naples. We'd like to rent a car and drive/explore Tuscany and the coastal area then spend the last 5 - 7 days on the Amalfi Coast. We're not looking to explore large cities this trip but would rather have a relaxing, romantic vacation.

Does anyone have tips on rental cars, where to stay/visit? Should I plan this myself or use a travel agent? I would greatly appreciate any help.
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM

I'm not sure you'll need a car after Tuscany. The Amalfi, although fun, can be a challenging drive (see notes on one of our trips and you'll see pictures of the road: http://tinyurl.com/sorrento-trip.

Do make sure you get an IDP if you're coming from the States. See this article for more info: http://tinyurl.com/Italy-IDP

You could always drop your car in Chiusi, Orvieto, or Viterbo as you head south (and avoid a drop-off in Rome). You might check out the BOTTOM segment of this post which talks about rental cars: http://tinyurl.com/car-rome

I think you could do this trip without a travel agent, but if you're unsure, or you don't want to do the legwork, that is an alternative. Good Luck!
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:18 AM

The OP seems to be bypassing Rome.

To the OP, you could drive Sorrento or Salerno and drop the car then, then continue to the Amalfi coast by public transportation.

If you have enough time to do a lot of research, then look at guidebooks, Fodors' Destinations, and search this forum, where there are numberless posts about trips to Italy. Also look at www.tripadvisor.com for travel tips and places to stay. Otherwise maybe hire a travel agent. However, most travel agents are not very knowledgeable about Italy outside the bigger cities and bigger hotels.

Don't short-change Venice. You'll need extra time there to get over jetlag. And there's so much to see around the Amalfi coast: Pompeii, Capri, Mt. Vesuvius, Naples, Sorrento, Paestum, Herculaneum. Not to speak of the coast itself. Fortunately you have plenty of time there. But remember to relax! It's Italy, home of la dolce vita.
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM

You can certainly do this yoursefl without a trvel agent - but if you leave in only a month you need to get moving - or you may find the places you want to stay fuly booked.
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:16 AM

you need at least two-three days for Venice to see historical center and islands around. Do you want to drive from Venice to Naples?it's worth it if you have time to drive along 'statal streets' and not highway, and you have time to stop at main important and beautiful small city along 'the penisola' and the road, such as Ferrara, Bologna In Emilia, Todi, Perugia in Umbria, Arezzo and Siena in Tuscany, Viterbo and Orvieto in Lazio, Sorrento and Naple and Amalfi coast. So it needs almost ten days....but it should be very nice and romantic trip
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Hello Ruth! I'm Italian I can certainly be of help to you!
If you wish to explore Tuscany you'll have to choose among many different itineraries. It's a big region.
I mean:
1) Northern Tuscany: This itinerary is 275 km long. Starting from Lucca to Forte dei Marmi you'll need 4 - 5 days including half day to visit Lucca (remember to pay parking fare otherwise you'll certainly get a fine) birthplace of Giacomo Puccini (a visit to his home is a fixed stop).
2)Chianti Vineyards from Siena to San Casciano. This itinerary is 134 km long. You'll need at least 3 days including half day in Siena and another half day in San Gimignano. It's so beautiful to drive through the wavy hills and valleys around Siena till Florence. Country roads are comfortable, they lead to abbeys and castles, to lively open markets and wine bars to taste Chianti and typical food. This part of Tuscany is a marvelous garden, take your time to explore it calmly.
3) From Arezzo to Urbino. This itinerary needs 3 - 4 days. It's 115 km long. Roads are paved with good road signs. In Arezzo and Sansepolcro watch frescoes by Piero della Francesca, a maestro among Renaissance painters!
4) Along the sea: Please don't miss Punta Ala (sea water is like Seychelles or Costa Smeralda in Sardinia), Viareggio, Forte dei Marmi, Castiglione della Pescaia, Castiglioncello, Principina a Mare, Orbetello and Argentario, Isola del Giglio etc.
5) Go to explore the Maremma: unforgettable! If you want to have a wonderful relaxing day, pay a visit to Saturnia Spa: you'll feel revived!
6) There is a nice itinerary from Naples till Grotte dell'Angelo which is 249 km long, you'll need at least 4 days, including one day to visit Naples. Roads are in good conditions but there are some sharp U-bends so you must be very careful! You'll be driving high up above the sea...but the sea and the sky are intense blue, panorama is breath-taking, the air is lemon-shented, so it's worth! It's very important you fill up before leaving because there are few filling station. Anyway, you can take buses if you feel insecure at the wheel.
For more info, visit my site www.thetripteller.com, I'm preparing new interesting posts about lakes, Cinqueterre, Sicily, Sardinia and much more.
Enjoy your honeymoon!
Ciao bye for now
Lorena
Apr 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Wow! Thank you tripteller for your site! Def bkmk'd!