Italy - train tickets

Search

Italy - train tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy - train tickets

In May will shall visit North Italy by train. We shall stay in Milan, Verona, Bologna and Stresa (we already booked the hotels) and except the days when we shall visit the city where is our hotel, we shall take the train to visit the lakes, other cities, etc.

Now, questions:

1. Can I buy from Milan train station all the tickets, for all our trips (even they do not start from Milan)?

2. I understand that if I buy a train ticket, it can be used for one day, at any hour, in next two months. Is it true?

3. I read that I can make a stop for some hours, in the same day. For example, if I have a ticket from Verona to Modena, I can stop for three hours in Mantua. Can be done this?

4. I want to buy tickets without seat reservation, as I am not sure about hours, in special about time for return. Can I buy only seat reservation in the day of the travel?

I hope that you can help me.
Thank you.

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM

1. Yes, you can, but I would not suggest it.

2. Yes, unless it's a ticket for a train with a mandatory seat reservation, such as an ES train.

3. Yes, but only if neither train requires a mandatory seat reservation.

4. If the ticket is for a train with mandatory seat reservation, you can only buy the ticket with the seat reservation included.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Zerlina. Why you do not suggest to buy from Milan all the tickets?
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
J62

1. Can I buy from Milan train station all the tickets, for all our trips (even they do not start from Milan)?

YES

2. I understand that if I buy a train ticket, it can be used for one day, at any hour, in next two months. Is it true?

Depends on the ticket. Tickets for faster trains (ES) are for a specific train and require a seat reservation (included in the price of the ticket). If you buy a ticket for a regional train, and I believe (but not 100% positive) an IC train, then you are correct. If you buy a ticket that is good on any train, be sure to validate the ticket before boarding (yellow machines in the station, similar to the ones on a bus). There is a fine if you don't.

3. I read that I can make a stop for some hours, in the same day. For example, if I have a ticket from Verona to Modena, I can stop for three hours in Mantua. Can be done this?

again, depends on the ticket/train.

4. I want to buy tickets without seat reservation, as I am not sure about hours, in special about time for return. Can I buy only seat reservation in the day of the travel?

same, depends on the train/ticket. If you want to travel on faster ES train, then you must also reserve a specific train and seat. For standard (non-discounted fare), you can exchange a ticket for a different train for (I believe) no cost should you change your mind.

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM
J62

Zerlina, we need to stop meeting like this.

J62.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM

You can buy any ticket from the station in Milano, so you can buy tickets for several journeys at once. Milano Centrale can be very busy, so it may be quicker to buy at a smaller station.
Standard Italian train tickets are valid two months. Before use, the ticket must be stamped in a yellow machine which stamps the name of the station, the date and the time. The machines are at the entrances to the station platforms. The ticket is then valid for six hours (for a short journey) or, I think, 12 or 24 hours, depending on the length of the journey. This period is printed on the ticket.
Seat reservations are not possible for local trains. They are optional on some long-distance trains, but are compulsory for Eurostar and some other expresses. The on-line timetables will show which trains require reservation. Note that for intercity trains, even if reservations are optional, you need to pay a supplement, which used to be known as the "supplemento rapido". There would therefore be little point in buying tickets in advance if you later had to go to the ticket office to pay the supplement. The price of a return journey (a round trip) is exactly twice the one-way fare.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi V,

> I read that I can make a stop for some hours, in the same day.

If you want to get from A to Ca and get off for a while at B, it costs only a little more to buy two tickets, A-->B and B-->C and you won't have to worry about your ticket expiring.

For Verona/Mantua/Modena the fare is 13E, while Verona/Modena is 11.50E.

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Ira, thank you. I did not check the price for 2 tickets and I was sure that will be more, more expansive than one ticket with a stop. I received the same advice from other also, so for sure I'll buy individual tickets for each portion of the trip.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM
ira

You are welcome, V
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 12:48 AM

bookmarking