Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Train Stikes in May?!? Bus alternative?

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to all the strike sites, and only see listings for April. I'm going to be traveling throughout Italy in May, and my schedule is pretty dependent on the trains running. I need to travle by train from Rome to Naples and back on May 16th, then from Rome to Orvieto and Orvieto to Assisi May 17, and then from Assisi to Florence May 18.
I heard a rumor that there will be a train strike May 17-18, but can anyone verify this? Also, is it in the Umbria region?
Lastly, is there train service from Orvieto to Assis since they are directly connected by train?
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM

We're in the same boat (or train as it were). This is all I've found so far.

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM

As I read it on the official site, there is a general 24 hr. FS train strike from 9pm may 17 to 9pm may 18. As with strikes in Italy, it might be called off so keep checking. However a few essential trains still run and they will be listed on the trenitalia website a day or 2 before.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

FS strike? What does FS mean, sorry, I don't know too much about Italian rails.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

And to the other person in my situation, do you know anything about bus transportation within the Umbria region?

As TravMimi says certain trains are strike immune supposedly due to agreements with unions. Try to book one of those - supposed trenitalia.com carries this info as printed schedules seem to.

Ferrovia del Stato--official main Italian rail system
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Rachellia and grimmy,

One my last trip, it looked like I was going to encounter a strike on one of my train travel days too. I kept checking, and just before I left home, it was still listed.

Once I arrived in Rome, my hotel told me it had been canceled, but this was only a day or two prior to the date.

Buona fortuna!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Palen, I don't know how lucky I'd be on the account considering all the trains I have to take on these connections are regionale.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 01:01 PM

During a strike the best chance to catch any trains that are running is during rush hour. Sadly you just have to hang around and wait. If something rumbles in and it's going where you want to go get on it. Regional trains have the least essential routes. The express train from Rome termini to the airport always runs. It's really good in planning to have a plan B and maybe a plan C ready. Check bus routes now, and keep with you bus, taxi, and private transfer telephone numbers for all cities you are going to be in.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

I don't think a taxi service would be an option given my budget for a transfer from Orvieto to Assisi, but what's this about private transfer? Is that more or less expensive than a taxi would be? Do you have more information. Surely there's got to be a way I can still get around despite the trains.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Another thought, maybe this is a very good reason to book a rental car in advance? There shouldn't be a charge if you cancel it at the last minute.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 01:50 PM

http://www.apmperugia.it/canale.asp
That site is about the buses for Assisi, Perugia and Orvieto. Its' about as easy to use as trenitalia site. You won't see much on any page unless you scroll to the bottom.On the home page, Click next to the big #3, scroll down then click on map (rete linee extraurbane) that will show the routes.
http://www.orariautobus.it/autolinee.html
This site gives links to all Italian buses. For a transfer, google search. Transfers limo (city you want) italy