Search

Train strike?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train strike?

Hi,

We are leaving for Italy on Thursday and staying at the Sant Antonio in Montepulciano for 2 weeks. We are expecting a family member traveling from Florence on the morning of Monday, October 13th. I read that there is a planned 24 hour train strike from 9PM Oct 12 to 9PM Oct 13.

Does anyone have any information about this strike? Our relative was planning on taking the train to Chiusi, but I have had diffiuclty understanding the Trenitalia web site. Can anyone recommend alternative transport in the event that the trains are cancelled? We will have a car and can certainly meet her somewhere easy for her to get to. I guess we can always go to Florence and get her, but I would think there might be a less congested location to meet her.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

-Margret
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Hi

Here is a recent discussion on Slow Travel about this very thing. Hope it will of help to you.

Yvonne

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...374#5771054374
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:48 PM

An important everyday updated information source about strikes in Italy is:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can always book a train that is not part of the strike (certain trains are guaranteed to run). The Montepulciano train station is not close to Montepulciano. Here's the list of trains that will run in Tuscany even if there is a strike.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

Many times strikes get cancelled. I left Rome yesterday and there was supposed to be a metro strike last night for two hours. I didn't see anything about any upcoming strikes.

You might consider a bus from Florence or a strike proof train to Chiusi and then bus to S'Antonio/Montepulciano. The Montepulciano bus station is at the bottom of the hill leading to Montepulciano (there are shuttles available from there). Will you have a car to pick them up?

Siena Mobilita is the bus service for much of the area.
http://www.sienamobilita.it/EN/index.html
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:31 AM

I was in Italy this summer during a one day strike. I spoke with several different people, including those in the train info office (as opposed to the tourist info office, or the train ticket buying office). They told me which trains would be running but pointed out that they would not be on time - as much as a couple hours late. If I wanted to go from Padua to Venice (normally a half hour trip with trains at least 3-4 times an hour) then I should purchase a ticket for the 6:30 train (one that was scheduled to run) but don't bother getting to the station till close to 9 which was when they expected it. I was also told inter city buses strike when trains strike. Another year I was in Italy during a strike and I remember waiting at least 2-3 hours for a train, which did eventually come.

I guess what I am saying is that if the strike does occur, and you have a car, it would be way easier to just go get her. But strikes are often canceled a few days ahead of time.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

HI,

Thanks for you helpful rsponses. Valeria, I checked on the Summer In Italy site, and the October 12th strike is not listed. Perhaps it was cancelled, but I will continue to check once we arrive in Montepulciano. The suggestion of the bus is great, and, as I said, in a pinch, we can pick her up in Florence. I'm a little nervous about driving in Florence, but we have a GPS, and often drive in Boston and NYC. How confusing can Florence be?

Again, thanks,

Margret
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM

If you must drive to Florence, I suggest you have your family member meet you outside of the center of town on the south side of the Arno--perhaps Porta Romana? There are intense regulations (and fines) for driving in the old center on the north side of the Arno without a special permit.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Can you tell me how my daughter can get to Porta Romana? Is it easy to do by oublic transportation or can she get a cab?

Thanks.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM

Yes, a few bus routes (11, 12, 13, 36, 37) go there, and a cab would work as well. Since your daughter will be in Florence, she might suggest a better location for her that still avoids the old center.