Italy Train or Car; Lodging

May 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Italy Train or Car; Lodging

We are planning to take our 16 and 18 year old to Italy mid June. Our plans are to stay 4 days Rome, 2 days Tuscany (Siena), 3 days Florence, and 3 days Venice. We will be both arriving and departing from Rome.

I need advice on two items:
1. Given we will primarily be in urban areas (Rome, Florence, Venice), is it better to take the trains - or rent a car from Rome to Florence (exploring Tuscany in between) and then train from Florence to Venice? When I've looked at car rental costs, it looks like it is $125 per day to pick up in Rome and drop off in Florence.

2. What is the best way to find good values in lodging? We would need two seperate bedrooms (one for my wife and I, one for the two children).
May 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM

hi, rhaynes4,

are we taking about june 2007 or 2008?

Where are you flying in to? [and out of? - into venice and out of Rome is the normal and better option so I am led to believe due to very early flight times for transatlantic flights out of Venice]

If this year, you'll need to take what you can get. I'd be checking out apartments as they are generally better for families than hotels, IMO.

If next, then I'd make the following suggestions, based on our experiences taking our 15 & 18 year olds to Rome and Florence last year.[ two separate trips, Rome at Easter and Florence in October].

you have 12 nights - so i strongly suggest moving only twice, between 3 bases. this is entirely based on my kids' peference for moving around as little as possible - yours may be completely different of course, but every time you move, you lose at least 1/2 day.

Assuming starting on Venice, with 4 days, you can rent an apartment - much nicer than a hotel for a family, and generally cheaper.

i would then hire a car, and drive to Tuscany, hiring a flat/house in the tuscan countryside with a pool for the kids, usuing it as a base for day-trips.

Finally I would leave the car at Orvieto [not done this but loads of OPs have] and train into Rome, again renting an apartment.

Re-reading your post, i see that you are starting and finishing in Rome. My preference would still be to go immediately to Venice, and work my way back to Rome, so that I've not got such a difficult journey at the end of the holiday.

others may think differently.

Hope this helps,

regards, ann
May 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Ann - thanks for such a quick response.

We are traveling this June. I already have the air tickets that are round trip to and from Rome. I couldn't get as good of a deal arriving and departing from different cities.

Apartments sound great. Who would be good to work through?

It sounds like you are suggesting after arriving in Rome we travel to Venice and work our way south. After all that time in the air, would you suggest train or plane to Venice?

Also, are you suggesting skipping Florence and staying in Venice, Tuscany, and Rome?
May 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM

hi, rhaynes,

hopefully others will chip in to answer the train/plane debate - what time do you arrive into Rome, and where from? you can look on www.trenitalia.it for timetables for trains between Rome and venice, and on www.whichbudget.com for cheap onward flights.

as you are flying into and out of Rome, the kids might enjoy a train-ride - and it brings you more into the centre of Venice than the airport.

Others may disagree about doing it this way round, and there is jet-lag totake intoa/c if you are coming from the US. Nevertheless, you can sleep on the train, and it should be relatively easy to come into Termini station in Rome from the airport, and pick up your venice train from there.

as for apartments, try google - there are loads. www.slowtravel.com is very good for rental recommendations [agencies and specific apartments] or search this forum.

I AM suggesting that you restrict yourselves to Venice, Tuscany and Rome - quite enough for 12 nights. More than that, and you spend too much time packing,re-orienting yourselves to your new suroundings etc. as well as the actual travelling. a stay in the tuscan countryside would make a welcome contrast to the two cities, although they are very different.

Once you've had a look at the web-sites, do post any more qs you may have - l'll be more than happy to try to help.

regards, ann

ps we rented throguh www.italy-accom.com - who proved pretty helpful overall. the apartment we had in rome throguh them was everything they had promised and more.
May 13th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Unfortunatelyt it's very late for apartments - most people rent many months in advance. Great if you can get them - but it doesn;t seem likely. I agree that Venice is too far given that you are both arriving and leaving from Rome.

Since you land in Rome I would spend the first 5 nights there then rent a car and stay somewhere in Tuscany. Preferably not too far from Florence - for a couple of day trips - then you can do trips to a variety of other towns by car. I would also try to get a place with a pool in Tuscany - and close enough to the town that the kids can head in at night for some local nightlife (they're sure to want to do something after dinner at least a couple of nights).