Search

Italy/Switzerland trip May 2008

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy/Switzerland trip May 2008

Hi,
My husband & I are planning our trip for May. We have 13 days total on the ground. Below is our preliminary itinerary- I would love any feedback on feasibility or suggestions.

Rome, Naples, Pompeii 4-5 days
Tuscany (Florence, Siena,?)4 days
Berner Oberland/Zurich 3 days

Thanks!
Michelle
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:57 AM

You could spend the entire 13 days in the Italian areas you mention and still not see everything. May is a great time for that Southern portions of Italy.

The Berner Oberland area may still have snow in May and a lot of places may not be open for the summer. 3 days considering travel times, may not be enough time for that area, including Zurich.

I guess it all depends upon what you want to see/do, and are you going by train or renting a car?
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM

Hi Michelle, You say "Rome, Naples, Pompeii," but leave out the rest of the GORGEOUS Amalfi Coast! I guess this is just personal preference, but I'd much rather substitute Positano or one of the other beautiful towns along the coast for both Naples and Pompei. Naples is a big city -- which although very different culturall from Rome and Florence -- is nonetheless similar in some "big city ways." So why not throw in a small town or two? I'd HIGHLY recommend Positano! Spent a week there a couple of years ago and we're itching to get back soon!

We just spent two weeks in Tuscany. Loved Florence and Siena, but my favorite during that portion of our trip was San Gimignano. Again, a small town... but quite beautiful!

Haven't been to Switzerland in about 10 years (went there on part of our honeymoon!). Zurich was nice, Switzerland has much beauty, but it just doesn't do for me what Italy does. Nonetheless, I'm sure your days there will be wonderful!! Have a great trip!! Barbara
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:34 AM

You're trying to cover way too much territory in less than 2 weeks.

If you want to do Italy and Switzerland you can - but less of each.

You might consider Florence/Tuscany for a week, then 1 day to Switzerland and 5 days there.

Zurich is not my favorite city - too business oriented. Instead I would spend a couple of days in Lucerne (great stuff in see in the town and on day trips) and then a couple up in one of the mountain towns.

the itinerary you have has way too much time traveling from place to place - and not nearly enough actually doing/seeing anything. (You need to assume you lose most of the day every time you change towns/hotels. So for less than 2 weeks 3 centers/hotels is plenty.)
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:01 AM

In May I would stay south---the BO is too far for this trip.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 01:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you have enough time to go to Switzerland if you do all you mention in Italy.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!! Happy New Year!