Italy & Switzerland? need opinion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went exclusively to Italy on our last two vacations (one week each). My husband & I love Italy and can't seem to get enough. That said, we'd like to vary our next week-long trip a bit. We enjoy train travel and find it relaxing. This is what I'm toying with...fly into Zurich (FF on AA), either stay in Zurich for a couple of days or train to a close charming Swiss destination for a few days. Train to Florence/Chiusi to pick up rental car and stay at Locanda dell Amorosa (my favorite place!) to relax & see towns we didn't make it to previously (such as Cortona, Siena, Orvieto, etc.). Return rental car, train to Rome for last night. Here's basically my question - this would be the first week of November as that is when my husband's business has a breather & it's convenient for him to travel. Is travel to Switzerland then a bad idea because of the weather? Is train travel from Switzerland to Italy delightful as I'm imagining? I welcome input...
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:16 PM
ira

Hi dd,

That's a lot of traveling for only a week.

I suggest that you decide between Switzerland and Italy.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:48 PM

You can do it in one week by traveling to Zurich, Lucerne and from Lucerne take Palm Express to Lugano. While other of Switzerland will be cold, Lugano should be warmer. From Lugano you can explore Italian Lakes and Milano. Tuscany is a bit far, for one week, probably not practical. Fly back from Milano.
Sophia
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 09:10 PM

First week of November is too poor time to go to the Swiss mountains. Maybe Lucerne would be charming - in general, it can be cold and rainy (or even have snow!).

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also think it's a less than desirable time to visit Switzerland. But having said that, we were in Luzern last October and woke one morning to falling snow. It wasn't particularly cold, so we enjoyed walking the city again and seeing it look completely different (and beautiful) than the day before.

I think your biggest problem is only having a week. I don't think Zurich is worth any of your limited time, and it's quite a distance from your final destination.

As for the suggestion of "exploring the Italian lakes" instead of Cortona, Siena, etc., forget it. Too much will be closed for the season, and you'd be limited to staying in somewhat less charming cities.