Search

Italy + Switzerland; Eurail Pass & more

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy + Switzerland; Eurail Pass & more

Hi,

We are family of 9.. 6 adults (including 2 seniors) and 3 kids (2 14-yr olds and 1 4 yr old).
We are scheduled to travel through France-Italy and Switzerland starting May 13th.
I have traveled through France and Italy and decently aware of the places and processes. This time I have added Switzerland too.
Need some help in train related suggestions besides any tweak in itinerary for Switzerland.
So after 5 days in Paris-Venice
# On May 18 ... we plan to move out of Venice in the morning by train to stop over at Pisa for 3-4 hrs (luggage at station locker) and then take the train from Pisa to Rome the same evening.
# After 2 days at Rome, on May 21 we plan to leave by train from Rome to reach Interlaken (via Milan-Brig-Spiez)
# May 22 Visit Jungfraujoch
# May 23 Leave Interlaken to go to Lucerne. Same day visit Mt Pilatus in the afternoon?
# May 24 Go to Mt Titlis
# May 25 Go to Mt Rigi
# May 26 Leave Lucerne with luggage to reach Zurich, relax the day, spend time at Lake Zurich or some local attraction and fly out of Zurich on may 27th

Queries:
1. Does it make sense to take a Eurail 2 country train pass? or say some Swiss Pass/Half travelcard? Say a 5 day (including 1 free day offer currently on) Eurail Select Pass with this itinerary?

2. Any tweaks in the Swiss itinerary you may suggest? We are not too interested in museums, more for landscapes and sights with a little bit for kids and some Ice Flyer sort of light adventure and possibly even some paragliding/skiing.

3. I assume the Eurail pass is not valid on mountain trains (would any of our journey require one at all..? I think Jungfraujoch one will) but there are some 50% discount. What if one of the days I do not use it for any major train but only opt for mountain train discount, would that day count as one day in the pass itself?

4. If I skip 2 country pass and take only some Swiss pass, would I be able to use it in the Milan-Brig/Spiez leg of train journey?

5. Does one need to plan for heavy footwear for a light walk on the snow? Or it is readily available for rent at the mountains without robbing the wallet?

6. The Eurail pass still requires reservation fee. I read that in Switzerland reservation is not that necessary. True? Also if so, as I move in Italy how does one do the reservation? I am guessing one still needs to go to ticket kiosk in Italy and get tickets and there would be an option to indicate the eurail pass so the physical ticket just charges for reservation fee and in the train one needs to show both pass and this reservation ticket.. Or it works some other way?
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of things (trust me, the usuals will be here soon regarding the Swiss rail discounts):

any SwissPass is NOT going to be valid as a general rule until you are IN Switzerland. So for the train trip from Rome/Milano the train crosses into Switzerland in the middle of the Simplon Tunnel. You might be able to get away with using the pass from Domodossolla onward but more likely the pass would kick in at Brig and beyond (assuming you do not also have a pass covering Italy).

The more you use passes the more economical they become; in your case and with those children a SwissPass which allows the kids to ride free may be of value.

You know, I love Luzern and the Titlis trip can be done in a half day to and from and including the ascent. With so little time I would only do Titlis or Rigi not both BUT

since you say you are more interested in scenery and views I would spend MORE time in the Berner Oberland, at least TWO full days and consider skipping Luzern altogether.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you traveled with this group, at this pace, before?

I would not sign up for this itinerary traveling solo, never mind riding herd on eight other people, one of them a small child. You mention two seniors, but don't mention whether they have any issues. Seniors come in all shapes, sizes, and mobility levels.

You do not have enough time in Paris, Venice or Rome. If your interest in Switzerland is the mountains, why are you not spending longer in Interlaken? What if the clouds are down or it rains the days you are there?

For all you need to know about rail passes, read this:

http://seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm

Note that you can get very good deals on international tickets to/from Switzerland by buying ahead of time, but there are no similar discounts for domestic tickets.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:09 AM

Correction: I think you almost certainly can start using a pass from Domodossola onward now that I think about it. You'd need to buy train tickets from Rome to Domodossola only.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:12 AM

@Dukey1 - cheaper to buy the ticket all the way through ahead of time and save a day on the pass. I paid 10 CHF for Zurich to Como year before last. It was the same price Zurich to Milan when I checked for a friend in December, but not on all trains on all days as it was selling out. Next step up was 27 CHF.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:15 AM

On #3, using your pass for a discount will use up a day on your rail pass.

On #5, you are not likely to encounter snow on the lower altitude trails in late May in the Berner Oberland (the Interlaken region). Some higher altitude trails may still be closed due to snow.

Extend your time in the Berner Oberland. On May 22, 23, and 24 you should stay in Wengen, not Interlaken. If you want alpine glory, traffic-free Wengen will blow you away. You will have to pass through Wengen to get to the Jungfraujoch. Finally, the expensive and time consuming trip to the Jungfraujoch is only worth it if you have good weather. Staying 3 nights instead of one gives you a better chance of catching good weather. And go up the J as early as possible since it tends to get cloudy up there in the afternoon, even if it's sunny down below.

Spend your last 2 nights, May 25 and 26, in Luzern. Forget Zurich. Luzern has a direct rail link to the Zurich airport (2x per hour, 70 minutes). You can easily catch your flight from Luzern. Zurich is pleasant enough, but Luzern has much more of what people go to Switzerland to see and experience. Three great nearby peaks to visit in good weather (Pilatus, Titlis, Rigi), lake cruises, a neat transportation museum, and a generally cute town.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 03:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>> France-Italy and Switzerland starting May 13th<<<
>>>So after 5 days in Paris-Venice
# On May 18 ... we plan to move out of Venice in the morning by train to stop over at Pisa for 3-4 hrs<<<

You're saying you only allowed 2 1/2 days in Paris and Venice. You didn't even factor in your travel time. If you are arriving in Europe on the 13th, you don't even have 2 full days to sightsee in these places.

A pass is rarely cost effective for Italy, but since these are such long distances and multiple trains a day, you might break even. Calculate the cost of a day on the pass and add on the seat reservations (you need 2 separates ones on your Pisa day).
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 05:43 AM

My understanding has been that in Italy the cost per km on the train is a LOT lower than in some other countries and that a pass might be the LEAST economical but obviously that may be mistaken thinking.

As to "cheaper to buy 'all the way through' meaning 'all the way through' to WHERE? To Brig to Interlaken? Am sure it is possible and also sure it might not be depending on many factors which the OP needs to figure out. If they only need 1/2 day anyway where's the waste?
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 05:57 AM

No, "all the way through" from Rome to Interlaken. Although for the OP's date it would be cheaper to buy Rome to Milan (trenitalia.com) and then Milan to Interlaken (sbb.ch).
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 06:17 AM

If you book your Rome dp 15.00 - Spiez ar 20.53 ticket today, you can get:
Roma Termini - Milano Centrale: promo fare 55 EUR/pax
Milano Centrale - Spiez: smart fare 29 EUR/pax