Italy Spring Break 2007

Search

Italy Spring Break 2007

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Spring Break 2007

Our first trip to Italy, decided to use our FF miles for our family of 4. (2 kids under age 15) I really want to see Venice, and obviously Rome. Seeing that it IS a holiday week...and Good Friday is the day before we start traveling back home, not sure what we should see/do first? Would Rome be overwhelming that week? should we start in venice? I had not thought to check into open ended air-as far as flying into Venice out of Rome? (Or vice versa) but not sure our award tickets would allow that? Plan on traveling by Train...Any suggestions?
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM

Some award tickets do allow you to fly in and out of different cities. I've done it in the US, but never in Europe. You'd have to check with the airline.

We went, also family of 4, a few years ago. My kids wre 10 & 12 at the time. We flew to Venice, spent 3 nights there, then rented a car. We spent a night in FLorence (to visit one of their babysitters who was studying abroard), a night in Orvieto (just to give the the small hillside town experience), then 4 nights Rome (we got rid of the car in Rome). We also took a day trip to Pompeii while in Rome (my kids really wanted to do that).

Italy is very family friendly. My kids loved it. My son was in heaven having pizza, pasta and gelato everyday.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM

I think you will be able to fly into Rome and out of Venice or vice versa. Using Delta, I've flown in Milan and out of Paris using FF miles, as have other members of my family. I would guess that Rome would be pretty crazy for Good Friday/Easter, but then again it would be pretty special to say you spent the Easter holiday there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
jgg

We went to Italy last March for Spring Break with our two kids (age 9 and 12 at the time). We also flew home the day after good Friday. Since this was our first trip to Italy (Europe for that matter) we decided not to be in Rome for Holy Week. So we flew into Rome for 6 nights, trained to Venice for 4 then trained to Florence for 4 and flew out of Florence. Did not have any problems being in Florence during that time, although there were a lot of American college students there on spring break - but no big deal.

Definitely check into open jaw. If you are booking directly with FF miles directly with a particular airline you can usually book open jaw which is what we did with FF miles for that trip. However, we leave next Friday (yea!!) for another FF trip to Italy, but this is on a different card where you can book with any airline but unfortunately, it has to be a roundtrip ticket. So, on our last night we have to train back to Milan where we are starting. Inconvenient, but not worth skipping the trip over!!

Here is the link to my trip report from last March, you may find it helpfpul: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34599242
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info, and yes, i was able to get a flight into venice and out of rome...took awhile and 2 seperate reps but i did get it. so now we will begin to plan. renting a car sounds fun, but kinda scary? Had planned to just take train to rome after a couple days in venice? Not sure how many days you really need in Venice? I would love to see as much of italy as possible? Is Florence worth the extra day away from Rome? I've heard many people say it was NOT their fave?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:00 AM
ira

Hi dm,

I would fly into Venice and out of Rome, if possible.

Also see: Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Have a nice visit.

PS, when is Spring Break in 2007.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:37 AM
jgg

You definitely don't need to bother with a car, the train is easy and you wouldn't want the car once you got to your destination if you are staying in the big cities. Not sure how long you will be staying, if only a week definitely just stick with two cities. If Venice and Rome are your top two, then go with that (they were our top two!!)
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

Hello dm, I have been in Rome on Good Friday and I didn't find it any problem. You will be in Italy at a beautiful time and congratulations on getting the FF tickets!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM

Good starting in Venice, it is more relaxing to recover jet lag than the intensity of Rome. Loved the train and easy to make arrangements on line in advance. Not sure how many nights you actually have there so hard to advise. We arrived on a saturday and left on a saturday and did 3 nights (2 full days)venice, 1 night florence (day and a half) and 3 nights rome - 2 full days and 2 real 1/2 days. Alot we didnt see in rome, and yearned for more time in florence and needed the extra venice night to recover from the trip. I would look into apartments though try sleepinitaly.com and viewsonvenice.com. Also check out the vatican schedule when it gets closer (they only post a month or so inadvance) to see if there are closing days if you intend to see the sistine chapel.