10 Days in Italy w/ kids

Feb 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Original Poster
10 Days in Italy w/ kids

We're working on a trip in July to Italy, taking three kids, ages 18, 15, 12. Rome is a must, and I'd love to take my DH to Venice, and Florence. Is this feasible for 10 days? Is the train the best bet? Any ideas for hotels that are central and not too expensive? What do kids especially like in Italy?
Your advice made our trip to London last summer a hit--Thank you!
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Not sure about the kids, but a trip to all three places might be hard to do in 10 days. High speed trains mean that you are only about an hour and 45 minutes between Rome and Florence and only about 2 and a half hours between Florence and Venice. A good overview of Venice can be seen in a day or two. Florence should have probably a couple of days for the various art museums. Rome would take years, but you could get a good overview seeing the main sights in 3 or 4 days. Of the three, my recommendation would be to spend more time in Rome. A short sidetrip for the kids (as well as you too) would be to Pisa. It is only about an hour by train from Florence and the leaning tower (and surrounding area) can be seen rather quickly. Budget half a day to just see it and get your pictures or a little more for a more in-depth exploration. Have a great trip.
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
We have about 14 days in Italy this May/June and will see Venice (4 days), San Gimignano/Tuscany (4 days), Amalfi Coast (3 days), and Rome (2 days)...Obviously this is not enough time in Rome but we plan to return and figure we will always return to Rome since it is the main airport.

I definitly think you have enough time to do this unless you are counting your travel days in the 10 days...then it might be more stressful...From the research I have done for the last 3 months I would say if you only choose 2 then go for Venice and Rome...save Florence if you feel you have the time.

I have seen a lot of recommendations for Rome 4 days, Venice 3 days, and Florence 3 days...although remember that part of those days will be taken up with travel/resituating hotels...

As for Pisa advice from capkirk1...I have read a lot that this is somewhat of a disappointment to many as it's sort of like...take the picture of each of you holding up the tower...look around for an hour and that's about it...kind of a touristy hype...

If you stick to only 2 of the major cities I have read that some kids really enjoy Pompeii which is like a long day trip from Rome?

For good priced hotels try searching under Italy threads for this...or www.venere.com (I think is very helpful as well) or the 2006 Rick Steve's Italy has alot of really detailed info I have enjoyed reading (no matter how much people think his info is overused, it has been really helpful in my planning and understanding all of the little confusing details)

But, number one Fodorite advice, no matter how you split up your time...it is Italy so you really can't go wrong...you just have to go with the way your family travels (action packed or taking it all in slowly, this will determine whether your idea is doable)

Hope this helps even a little
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM
One thing I forgot, not sure if you already know this or if you've purchased your tickets...but on a tight schedule like this an open jaw flight would help a lot...Fly into Rome and out of Venice or vice versa

We are doing this and I think it helps alot in saving extra time getting back to your original destination and in our situation it was actually cheaper to fly open jaw than round trip.
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I think your itinerary is quite doable if you can fly open jaws (in Rome and out of Venice or vice versa). Train is by far the easiest for these three cities, because parking is expensive and a H-E-A-D-A-C-H-E, but I have to admit that with five people, it's possible a car would be cheaper. Check with autoeurope (usually the cheapest) and compare to train fare before making a decision.

I definitely recommend getting your kids involved in planning the trip. Get some books with lots of photos so they can get some visuals to help with the decision. If they chose to do it, they'll have an investment in enjoying it.

The main thing you can count on is that kids like to hang out. Italy is great for this. You can let them go out to hang out by themselves (as a group) at night. They will quickly connect with either other tourist teens or the local teens and have a blast.

Teens often want more "experiential" travel rather than sightseeing. But consult yours on their wishes and try to accommodate. It will make for a better trip.
Feb 20th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Eurostar trains are great, an adventure in themselves. Are you thinking of one or two rooms, perhaps an apartment? (Some are short stay.) Teens love to shop for purses and jewelry, small items that have the names of the places they've visited. They love areas around fountains, where there are T-shirts and sweatshirts are in abundance. They love piazzas and feeding pigeons. See if they want to collect something, like pins, patches, miniature Vespas, small statues, whatever. In Venice, they will get a kick out of the Lido, and a beach break will be needed in July. Mostly, they love gelato!
Give more specific info, and maybe I can help with hotels.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
eeyann - My wife, kids (17 year old daughter and 15 and 11 year old sons), and I spent two weeks in Italy last June. We included stops in Rome, Florence, and Venice. You may find some ideas or answers to your questions in my trip report at:
For 10 days, basing yourself in two cities may make the best sense. Be ready for the heat.
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster
Dear MRand;
I loved your report--so helpful and such a great picture of family travel! i hope you print a copy to keep somewhere for your kids. They were good travelers.
We're still thinking about our trip. Our 12 year old hates the heat, so that is a concern, and we don't want to rent a car and drive, just take trains. thank you so much for your post!

Search this Thread