Search

Italy Private tours & tipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Private tours & tipping

Hello,

My Fiance and I are having our Honeymoon in Italy and was inquiring about tips. I read you should tip about 10 euros to your tour guides, but most of those suggestions were for small cheaper tours. We have some 8-9 hour private tours (just us two) that cost us between 300 and 500 euros each. What do you suggest for tipping?

Also, I know we should be tipping our private driver to and from the airport & hotel, but how much is suggested?

One last tip question; I keep reading conflicting opinions on tipping restaurants and merchants in Italy. Some say yes, some say in Italy no; they charge a service fee at restaurants. We have never been and are from the States where we tip everyone, so for the folks who have been; did you tip at restaurants?
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 11:44 AM

No tipping is required in Italy. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 12:40 PM

I have never had a private driver or taken a private tour, but we live in Europe and travel often to Italy and no, we don't tip (no one does) for normal services at a café or bar or restaurant. If you have really enjoyed your evening meal or drink or whatever, or just don't have the time to fish out the small change from your pocket, feel free to round up the bill with a few coins, but tipping on the scale that most Americans typically do is considered unusual, even gauche. No need to do it. Yes, there is a service fee built into every bill.

If I were paying 300-500 € for a private tour of anything I'd think twice about tipping beyond that.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 05:14 AM

Hard to tell who gets the money for the tour - if an owner/operator I'd not tip for sure. But if a guy paid mimumum wage- usually a living wage in Europe- and got excellent service I think most would give a modest tip. I'd like to know what Italians or Italian residents think about that.