Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Power outlets. Different to Europe?

Jan 30th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

I am in Paris now, and i am using an australian heating appliance (hair straightner) and now i just have the standard plug adapter. But ive been told italy is different to the rest of eruope so ill need a converter to use it there. Can anyone confirm this? Since its a heating device i dont exactly want to to catch on fire, lol.
The voltage says 230-240V~50hz /30 W
Thanks!
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:12 AM

Italy uses 220V like the rest of the civilised world.

And as far as I know the sockets are identical

So no converters / adaptors / pens pushed into sockets to open the holes needed
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:24 AM

Oops! The US uses 120. I always thought we were a little uncivilized. Now I have the proof. (Further proof is offered in how I spell "uncivilized")

If your hair straightener works in Paris, it will work in Italy. It won't catch on fire. More likely, if something malfunctions, you will cause a power outage in your room or in your wing of the hotel.
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:29 AM

I think the Italian sockets are a different design, but I'm not certain. If they are you will need to buy a different adapter to fit them, but not a converter.
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Have alook here: http://tinyurl.com/32lt6e
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:39 AM

The volatge is fine, but you may get 2 or 3 pin sockets as hetismij's link shows. In 3 pin sockets you can use either 2 or 3 pin plugs. The only problem is if you have a 3 pin appliance (which my Italian travel iron does) & you get 2 pin sockets, but you can buy an adaptor from 3 to 2 (or borrow one from your hotel).
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Magellans.com (http://tinyurl.com/23ayyq) has an excellent array of adapters. But, if you go to the link, it can be confusing.

I use "Grounding Adapter I. It is for Italian grounded outlets.
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

I have the standard Australian to Europe plug adapter. So this will be fine? Me neighbours are italian and they had to buy a whole bunch of adapters for their appliances thats all.
Thanks
Jan 30th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Does it have (at the European end) 2 pins or 3 ? If 2, you're fine.
Jan 30th, 2008, 04:35 AM

As said above, Italy is also 220V, so that's not a problem. However, older Italian sockets differ slightly from the standard European sockets by having slightly narrower pins spaced slightly closer together. I think most adaptors fit both. (The ones I purchased as "Continental European" did.) I have seen newer sockets which have holes for both. If your adapter does not fit, I suspect would be very easy to find an European->Italian adapter as this is a problem even for Italians. (I'm assuming it's a 2-pin appliance. If it's 3-pin, some of the sockets also accept the "Schuko" grounded European plug, but again, you should be able to easily find a adapter if not.)

Paul
Jan 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes mine has 2 pins so its cool. Its only for 2 days so im not going to buy an other adapter, ill just blowdry my hair lol. Just didnt want it to catch on fire or anything lol.THanks