Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

King Sitric, Ann's of Howth, Finnstown Country House, or Belcamp Hutchinson for last night before we leave Ireland?

Search

King Sitric, Ann's of Howth, Finnstown Country House, or Belcamp Hutchinson for last night before we leave Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a place for our last night, within about 45 minutes max of Dublin Airport.

I really want to stay someplace that I know we're still in Ireland, not an airport hotel.

King Sitric looks great, but the rooms are pretty expensive. Ann's is right next door, rooms are less, but no pictures of the rooms themselves, just a pictures of the view out the velux window and a picture of fruit ( hate that, I want to see pictures of the rooms and bathroom!)

Belcamp Hutchinson looks kind of cool but I think one has to drive to restaurants for dinner.

Finnstown Country House has some mixed reviews, further away.

Any help appreciated!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts?

What about Red Bank Guesthouse and Restaurant in Skerries, or Beechwood House near Malahide?
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:44 AM

I can't give you any personal info about any of your choices but...

The Beechwood Country House is listed on Michele Erdvig website.I have never been disapointed with one of her picks.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Finnstown is way to far from the airport. there are a few B&B's in Howth and Malahide is a lovely town near howth and worth a last night. There are lots of pubs and restaurants and a marina as well.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sitric is very good.

Staff are attentive
Wine cellar can be rented
Breakfast to die for

All in all quite unlike anything else in Ireland
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM

King Sitric.

Make sure you have dinner there.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM

It's been several years since we stayed at Belcamp Hutchinson, but we loved it. Beautiful rooms, excellent breakfast, friendly staff and walking distance of Malahide Castle and village shops and restaurants.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

colbeck ~ I really thought Belcamp Hutchinson was a possibility, but now I'm not too sure. I emailed them, asked about rates etc, and enquired about 2 rooms of which I had seen pictures. She said "it is not practical to promise what room will be available on certain nights as I do not like to disappoint." I'm not really comfortable with this as there is one picture on Trip Advisor of the Gold Room which I don't think is very attractive and looks very cramped. I have found most places are very happy to book a certain room you have seen pictures of.

We could arrive anytime between 3 and 6 PM depending upon how our last day goes. It's just for one night and I'm hoping if we stay in Malahide that we would eat dinner at Bon Appetit. I'm wondering about the Grand Hotel. It's in the village, standard room looks okay, the majority of negative issues on Trip Advisor have to do with staff. Anyway I have emailed them, their website rate is about 40 euros less than Belcamp, but there's no place to specify non-smoking etc. when you book on the web.

I have also emailed King Sitric for rates.

Anyone know anything about Red Bank Guesthouse in Skerries? How does Skerries compare with Malahide?
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Both Skerries and Malahide are villages. Skerries is much smaller and there are fewer choices for everything -- accommodations, restaurants, pubs. Malahide is closer to the airport and is a nice bustling town that is a suburb of Dublin. I have heard that Bon Appetit is excellent but it is expensive. Read through your other replies again as you have received some good suggestions.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM

I think Bon Apprtite got a Michelin wstar last week. I have heard good things about the food.

The Grand hotel I was in recently and they have some a lot of renovation since I was last there. Its a good location and walkable to the village and sea. Why not try there? Nice pub as well and the food is not bad. I thought the staff were lovely when we went for food two weeks ago. Most are Eastern europeans and very sweet.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM

I live in Skerries but I think for your purposes Malahide might be a better bet. You could stay in the Grand Hotel, there's a nice marina to walk around and a gorgeous sea walk between Malahide and Portmarnock. There's also a better choice of restaurants including - as some others have pointed out - the Michelin-starred Bon Appetit (which does a very reasonable "early bird" menu) or the restaurant in the Grand itself. Malahide is about a 25 minute drive from the airport.

The King Sitric is expensive but you do get what you pay for - fabulous food and service.

The Red Bank (www.redbank.ie) in Skerries does excellent seafood and the guesthouse is nice (and does some very reasonable special deals). Skerries has a nice harbour area with some good pubs and great beaches. It is about a 30 minute drive from the airport - but this can take longer during rush hour. Terry, the owner, is charming and a great fund of information about the area and things to see.

Let us know what you decide!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:13 AM

wrenwood,

2001 I stayed at The Grand in Malahide, my superior room was comfortable with a seaview and my friends standard room was also comfortable without a view. It was pleasant to walk around a lovely village and was easy getting to the airport the next morning. The only problem and could have been a huge one if I had not had my travel alarm. We did not get our wake-up calls.

Have a wonderful trip. Joan