Italy itinerary, need help please

Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Italy itinerary, need help please

I'm traveling in sept. to italy for my honeymoon, flying into and out of rome. I've been to rome, venice and florence before but my fiancee hasn't. I'm having trouble planning our itinerary, whether we should do the northern route or go from naples to positano, amalfi coast, capri and pompeii. we only are in italy 7 nights. Any recommendations are welcomed.. thanks
Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:02 PM

What does your fiancee want?
Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:08 PM
ira

Hi Amy

A week on the Amalfi Coast would certainly be a romantic and restful honemoon.

OTOH a week in Florence and Venice would certainly be a romantic and exciting honeymoon. The fact that you have been there before would be a plus, as you could be a guide for your new hubby.

Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials.
Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:20 PM
Intrepid

Would it be more fun/exciting/rewarding for you to, in some ways, act as a "tour guide" by taking your spouse back to places you've already enjoyed..or would you rather be more adventurous and "discover" new places in Italy together?
I agree with asking the other party what they might be interested in the most and letting that guide you.

Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:13 PM

Hi Amyatl,
I just got back from southern italy last week, and it was a beautiful place, and definitely worthy of a honeymoon. I don't know what your budget is, and what kinds of accomodations you are looking for, but it is something you should definitely consider. I've been to Rome, Florence and Venice as well, a few years back, and the south offers a completely different kind of vacation... more scenic, relaxing and honeymoon like. But it all depends on what you both enjoy and want to see.
We spent 10 days in the South in mid June, and found Positano, Ischia and Capri to be great Honeymoon locations. Do write back if you should have more questions. Good luck!
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. Taia, could you recommend what hotels to stay at in the Amalfi coast area? Did you make one place your base such as Sorrento? Thanks.
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:37 PM

amyat we have made our base sorrento before and aare planning to again this fall. great location to access the other places. can go to naples on the hydrofoil easily. many good hotels and eating pplaces make sssure yoou go to positano and look for ceramics to send home. fantastic
Jul 7th, 2003, 07:45 AM

Hi Amyatl,

We stayed at the Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento, and loved it - gorgeous views of Bay of Naples & Mt. Vesuvious.

Easy beach walk to catch Hydro-Foil to Capri.

Have a private driver take you down the coast. A very romantic and tasty place for your honeymoon.

All the Best !
Jul 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Venice is too hot in Sept! Stay away. The Amalfi coast is beautiful and if you want you can always take a day trip to Rome by train.
Jul 7th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your updates. I think we will start out in Rome and spend two days there and then head south to Sorrento for the rest of the trip. Any recommendations on what is the best way to get from Rome to sorrento. thanks!
Jul 7th, 2003, 09:37 PM

Take the Train to Naples then either the Circumversuviana train to Sorrento (1 hour), or ferry, if they're running, or private driver. I think Positano is more romantic than Sorrento - search here for recommendations.
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:38 AM
ira

Hi amy,

Train schedules are at www.trenitalia.com
and at http://www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for all your help. My latest question is should I make by base sorrento or positano. On this site it seems people are torn between the two as a base site. Also any recommendations on private drivers or private tour guides for that region and how much do they cost. Thanks!
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:40 AM
ira

Hi amy,

Just to make your life more interesting, why not Praiano?

My wife and I will be staying there for a week in late Sept at the hotel LeSirene.

Less expensive than Positano.
Jul 9th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira for your suggestion, but I'm already confused, and want to keep it between positano and sorrento.
Jul 9th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Amy,

I would highly recommend a trip to the isle of Ischia in the Bay of Naples - next to Capri. Very down to earth, good eatin', beachin', hiking, great people, not many tourists.

Check out the Bellevue Hotel.

Regards.

Jul 9th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I would second staying in Sorrento at the Bellevue Serene which is right on the water. I just stayed there in November and Sorrento is a great town. At the Bellevue, you are close enough to walk into town in 2-5 minutes and there are plenty of shops and restaurants. You can also walk to the jet boat dock and go to Capri for the day.

As far as getting there from Rome, I seem to remember it being about a 3 hour drive although we did stop at Pompei along the way. You should have a car to tour around the Amalfi coast towns, the coast drive is absolutely breathtaking. We rented a Golf convertible from Auto Europe and it was the best way to go. It's really hard to have a bad time there.