Italy Itinerary...Need Advice!

Jan 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Italy Itinerary...Need Advice!

My husband and I are going to London and Italy at the end of March. I am setting the itinerary for us having studied abroad in Florence during college. I would love advice on the number of days set in each place....I am concerned that I am not devoting enough time to Venice and Milan, but know that there is so much to see in the other places and also need to account for travel time.

Thanks for your help! Lea

London- 3 nights
Venice-1 night
Florence-3 nights
Rome- 3 nights
Milan-1 night

Jan 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM

If you cannot give Venice more than one night, I would suggest that you omit it entirely, particularly as it seems that you are flying there from London, so that you may, in effect, have only half a day in Venice.
Jan 14th, 2006, 09:29 AM

One night in Venice is just not enough. It is so magical and deserves more time.

Having said that, I think you are spreading yourselves too thin. Don't forget that you have to figure travel times between cities as well. That can significantly cut down on your sightseeing time.

I would eliminate at least one city and spend quality time in the rest. Just my opinion.
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM

From London, you fly into Venice and back out of Milan? If your departure is out of Milan, early morning, you may want to stay at the airport. The airport is an hour's drive from the center city; an early morning departure would make staying in town hardly worthwhile.
My choice would be to fly into Venice, spend several days there, go on to Florence, with several days there, and then a flight out to Milan and then home.
Carol L
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
ira

Hi LM,

One night in Venice is like having one peanut.

I suggest flying into Venice 3 nights, train to Florence 4 nights (daytrip to Orvieto and Siena), fly home from Pisa PSA.

If Rome is a must, then subsitute Rome for Florence. You can still visit Orvieto.

Enjoy your visit.

Jan 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM

I'm in total agreement with Carolll and Ira. Don't push it as hard as your are planning. Save Rome for another trip.
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the good advice. I should have been more clear of where we are flying in and out from.

We fly from London to Milan...from there we were planning on going staight to Venice. From Venice to Florence and from Florence to Rome. Since we have to fly out from Milan again we were going to go from Rome to Milan and just stay in Milan the night before we fly out.

Since everyone seems to be saying you need more than 1 night in Venice would you take a night off of Florence or Rome?

Thanks!
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM

I agree with Ira, one night in Venice is like having one peanut! Or one potato chip.

In my very subjective opinion, 2 nights in Florence is plenty. (We had 3 nights in Florence and unfortunately for us it was so crowded there during our days in June we couldn't wait to escape.)

So this is what I would suggest:

London: 3 nights
Venice: 3 nights
Florence: 2 nights
Rome: 3 nights
Milan: skip Milan on this trip.

Rome was our favorite place in Italy. We had 4 nights in Rome, and we stayed in the heart of Rome near the Pantheon, a wonderful location. My young adult son and 2 daughters felt our experience in Rome was really fun and memorable.

Have fun!
Jan 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Hello Lea_Marie, since you are flying home from Milan you will of course have to go to Milan. If you plane departs from Malpensa real early in the morning you will probably want to stay at a hotel by the airport. Otherwise a night in Milan would be lovely. You can take the airport shuttle bus from the Central Train Station in Milan to the Malpensa airport. Figure one hour on the shuttle bus, depending on traffic.

I would stay 2 nights in Venice and 2 nights in Florence along with your 3 nights each in London and Rome. Have a beautiful trip!
Jan 15th, 2006, 05:04 AM
ira

Hi LM,

>From Venice to Florence and from Florence to Rome. Since we have to fly out from Milan ....<

Do you have your tickets already?

If not see www.kayak.com and www.1800flyeurope.com for open jaw flights.

If Rome is a must, I suggest taking the early train from Venice to Florence, leaving your luggage at the train station, visiting Florence and taking a late afternoon train on to Rome.

Jan 15th, 2006, 05:09 AM

"London: 3 nights
Venice: 3 nights
Florence: 2 nights
Rome: 3 nights
Milan: skip Milan on this trip."

This is the only itinerary that makes much sense.
Jan 15th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Why only the cities? If you've studied in Florence you know that the big cities can be overcrowded with tourists. Why not do half/half and spend some time relaxing and living the Italian style of life. Check www.elegantetruria.com for a view of some smaller places to visit between Florence & Rome.
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Ira- Yes, we have already bought our tickets...we bought them over the holidays when we found really great fares so we are basically stuck flying in and out of Milan. Thanks for your advice!

Vetralla- My husband has never been to Italy or London so I thought for this first trip we would focus on the major cities first...it is hard with limited time. I know what you mean though..the smaller cities are wonderful. I am hoping that the time frame we are going, end of March, won't be as crowded as summer time.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Jan 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM

"Why only the cities? If you've studied in Florence you know that the big cities can be overcrowded with tourists. Why not do half/half and spend some time relaxing and living the Italian style of life. Check www.elegantetruria.com for a view of some smaller places to visit between Florence & Rome."

This is a dumb response. Big cities have more tourists for the simple reason that there is a lot more to see. On a short trip, any sensible person avoids the the little places to maximize the sight to travel ratio.