Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PlZ HELP...Is this trip to Italy doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need help deciding where to go in Italy. The more I search the more every city and town looks ideal and the more indecisive I get!
We will Be flying to Rome on Nov 4(arriving early morning so will have the whole day) and leaving from Milan on the Nov 10.
We are a couple in our early 30's that enjoy scenic drives, shopping, taking tours and museums (but we do not want to be overloaded with aer). DH has never been to Italy before, Whereas I have been to Venice (loved it), Verona ( nice but wouldnt want to go back), Milan (not much to do other than shop), Lake Como (beautiful) and Rome (but do not remember much because went with my own family when I was 13).
Do you think this is doable:-
Nov 4- Arrive in Rome and have all day
Nov 5- Rome
Nov 6- Rome
Nov 7- Florence
Nov 8- Venice
Nov 9- Venice
Nov 10- Leave early to Milan to catch flight home.

My Dh input is:-
Nov 4 Rome
Nov 5 Rome
Nov 6 Rome (do a daytrip to florence)
Nov 7 Venice
Nov 8 Venice
Nov 9 Como or Bellagio
Nov 10 head for Milan airport.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Anything is doable. But enjoyable?

Leaving from Milan kind of limits your options, though. Any way to get that changed to Venice, and split it evenly between the two cities?

Your DH's itinerary is almost impossible. Yours is more realistic, but leaving from Milan cuts quite a chunk out of your options. If you are planning to train it, remember, you will have to take the train from Venice to Milan Centrale Station, then take the Malpensa Express from the Cardona station.

Six days - 2 cities max. I can't imagine more than that.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM

I don't think you'd have much quality time at Lake Como by the time you get there, and it won't be at its best in November anyway, save it for a future trip.

I'd say this
Nov 4,5,6
take evening train to Florence (it's heading closer to Venice anyway)
Nov 7 Florence
evening train to Venice
Nov 8,9 Venice, evening train to Milan or stay near Malpensa
I also wouldn't be opposed to skipping Florence altogether (on this trip), and just going from Rome to Venice, add the saved day onto Venice
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:19 PM

places to stay, near Malpensa

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34687424
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Personally I see nothing wrong with the first itinerary. Of course it would be nicer to fly direct out of Venice, but that's not always so easy, depending on the airline.
And I see nothing wrong with taking a morning train to Florence from Rome, spending the bulk of the day there and seeing the highlights. Spend a single night there. Maybe doing a little more the next morning and then heading to Venice. We did that with two friends who hadn't been to Florence before and we all agreed it worked out wonderfully. They saw what they wanted but were more anxious to spend more time in the cities of Rome and Venice.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Everything that Patrick says. Ditto.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I can really relate to your sentence that says "The more I search the more every city and town looks ideal and the more indecisive I get". Since you also say that you like scenic drives shopping, taking tours and museums, I think you are trying to do too much on such a short trip.

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute!

Unless I'm reading you incorrectly, my feeling is that you are not wanting to rush around during your entire trip. YOu could easily spend 5 days just in Rome...there is sooo much to see and the best part, well one of the best parts, is lingering in the piazza navona with a gelato, or at sunset anywhere in venice over a mesmerizing view, or dinner at a cafe in the shadow of the pantheon.

If I were only going to Italy once in my lifetime, I would try to see as much as possible, but you are young and will hopefully have the chance to go back many more times, well at least a few. There's a lot to see in Florence, as well as the surrounding countryside, so I would suggest just saving it for another time.

When in Rome, be sure to go to the Borghese museum and see the Bernini sculptures, particularly Apollo and Daphne...what he made out of marble boggles the mind, truly magnificent!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM

ttt
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the wife's plan makes much more sense than hubby's ;-)

but what time is the flight out of Milan, are you sure you have time to get from Venice to the Milan airport on that same last day?
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Everyone thanks so much for your comments While doing the hotel bookings we realized tat no. 7 is a monday and from I read most mueseums will be closed for the day.

Does this plan sounds better to you-

Nov 4- Arrive in Rome early morning
Nov 5- Rome
Nov 6- Do a daytrip to florence
Nov 7- Rome
Nov 8- Venice
Nov 9- Venice
Nov 10 head for Milan airport either by flying or train.

Is this better?
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:13 AM
ira

Hi M,

Why a daytrip to Florence and return to Rome?

I would go to Florence, stay the night and keep on going.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Hi Mariam,

I agree with Ira that on a trip this short, any backtracking at all is a bad use of time. Rome 3 nights, Florence 1 night, Venice 3 nights. I would really try to fly out of Venice.

Buon viaggio! You'll love it all.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Ira and Dayle thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking of doing florence as a day trip to avoid the packing and unpacking. Still, I do agree that backtracking is a bad idea.

Do you think this ius better:-
Nov 4- Rome
Nov 5- Rome
Nov 6- Florence
Nov 7- Florence
Nov 8- Venice
Nov 9- Venice
Nov 10- Leave to Milan

OR I could only stay one night in Florence and spend an extra night in Venice
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:23 AM

mariam--- your last itinerary should be the final one. Give it a rest; start lining up hotels; is not like you have plenty of time to keep drafting itineraries.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I have seen your itinerary, and it is very aggressive. Seems to me that you will be in Venice in a very "iffy" time. For so short i would stay in one city, Rome, which in itself can fill in a year, but you can take a day trip to Orvieto, or Assisi, Tivoli, Ostia Antica. Enjoy the vatican museum and all of the sights, restaurants and museums of Rome.
You'll have a relaxing and productive trip.
Save the north for warmer weather and another time if possible.
Alberto
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With such a short time I would suggest Florence and Venice (using Rome and Milan for the airport only).

I am assuming you are arriving after a long flight and will suffer from jet lag and time change (but maybe not)? My first day in Europe is always a blur.

This plan would mean only two hotels (as far as pack and unpacking you mention) and give you a decent full 2/3 days Florence and 2/3 days Venice.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM

I would definitely not skip Rome. And your last itinerary seems perfect with the time you have available. There is never enough time to do everything you want. And, the day when you arrive you can't really count as a full day. By the time you get to the hotel, settle, and get oriented in the new city - half the day is gone.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:54 AM

It's interesting how we can all come up with different ideas,,,and all are good. It's really what YOU want to do, but I see you only have about 5 to 5 1/2 days in all.
These are all CITIES...fascinating ones, but you sound like you MIGHT want to rent a car (since you mentioned "scenic drives&quot, to see some of the Italian Countryside!

Here's just an idea...arrive on 4th, walk around Rome, on the 5th take an all inclusive city busy tour for an overview, on the 6th go to Florence and THERE you can get lots of good "shopping" and walking around,perhaps museums or whatever.
Spend the night of 6th in Florence, and on 7th rent a car a drive around beautiful Tuscany..staying in Sienna or Pienza or any other of the lovely towns.Drive Tuscany 8th and 9th, and then train or drive to Milan airport.(on afternoon of 9th or morning of l0th) (too bad you aren't flying out of Florence!).
MANY flights leave Milan early morning..so if that is so with you, then the l0th is not really one of your visiting days!

As someone else said...the Lake region around Como would not be as good in Nov.(though we love traveling then)..some things shut down etc. That area could be done at a later time perhaps along with beautiful Venice.
5-6 days is a pretty quick trip.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Hello mariampeachy, you have lots of varied suggestions here so I will not add mine except to say that if I were flying from Milan on November 10th I would NOT want to count on checking out of the Venice hotel, getting to the train station, getting to the Central Train Station in Milan (where the train will take you) catching the Malpensa Shuttle bus to Malpensa and checking in within the required time limit for my international flights all on the same day. First of all sometimes trains in Italy are on strike. Second of all I have sure experienced trains running late in Italy.

I would be either in Milan at a hotel by the late afternoon before the flight (have a nice dinner in Milan and enjoy looking around) or go in late and stay at a hotel right at the Malpense Airport.

If your flight home is in the afternoon I would stay overnight at a hotel in Milan. The Malpensa Shuttle bus runs something like every 20 to 30 minutes. Depending on traffic it takes around 45 minutes but I would allow an hour. I just can't handle being a nervous wreck and having problems the day of my flight...Murphy's law and all (apologies to all the Irish Murphy's LOL). Best wishes to you.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM

OOOPS! am sure you figured out what I meant....Rome/ "city BUS tour"- - - (NOT "busy" tour)!