Italy itinerary--Help!

Search

Italy itinerary--Help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy itinerary--Help!

My wife and I are visiting Italy in April--13 nights total. We plan to stay four nights in Rome on the front end and three nights in Florence on the tail end. In between, we are renting a car and tentatively thinking 2 overnights in Orvieto (or Cordona) and 4 overnights in San Gimignano--using those two towns as bases to explore places like Montalcino and Siena, etc. Alternatively, travel friends have suggested spending only two nights in San Gimignano and adding two nights in one of the Cinque Terre towns, then going from there to Florence. We're healthy enough people around 60 but the question becomes, would that be trying to do too much, and become too tiring? My wife in particular is concerned about this, although she and I would like to see Cinque Terre if possible. Will too much time and energy be spent packing up and moving, versus just relaxing and enjoying one area a bit more? I know the distances aren't all that great but still ... Oh, for another twist, if we skipped Cinque Terre and spent only two nights in San Gimignano so we could spend two nights elsewhere, would Montalcino be a good choice? Or is this another case of trying to do too much? Any and all advice appreciated!
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Well, I personally try to stick to a 3-night minimum rule, to avoid too much running around. What if you split the difference and spend 3 nights in San Gimignano/Siena and 3 nights in Cinque Terre, then back to Florence?

Ovieto and San Gimignano are pretty close to one another, and I don't see much need to pick up and move hotels if you going to be just an hour or so away. One base for S. Tuscany would be fine. Any of the towns you name would be good.

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM

I would not add Cinque Terre in your schedule as it is already full. Also, I would not recommend staying at too many places. It does take time to check in and pack/unpack. Why not stay in Siena or close by and do day trips to San Gimignano, Montalcino, and Chianti region instead?
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

These comments help and thank you. We have struggled with whether it's better to go immediately from Rome to headquarter in San Gimignano or Montalcino the whole time, making day trips from there, or stay in two locations. The former would mean driving past Orvieto, for example, and then backtracking back to see it. Maybe that's not a big deal since the distance is not so great. It's all a matter of personal preference, I suppose ...
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I don't know where you are flying out of so that may impact how you want to plan your trip. It is easiest to be in the town you are flying out of the night before.

If I can offer this as a possibility.

4 nights Rome,
Train to Oriveto (see the town) - pick up rental car there.
Tuscan base at Montecatini then day trip to Pisa/Luca, San Gimignano, Sienna / Montalcino. At any rate 4 nights there.

Drive to Florence - drop off rental car. Parking in the city is tough.
3 nights Florence.

If your flight is out of Rome then head back to Rome. Take a day trip to Tivoli or Ostia. And be ready for the flight home.

April is a little chilly in the CT and there are some things that aren't open yet.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

We're flying out of Florence so that would work well. Grazie!
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM

We were in Tuscany in early April of 04 & it snowed one day. Cinque Terre is north of Tuscany. You're kinda hemmed in if you stay in the Cinque Terre and if the weather is foul, I don't think you would enjoy your time there.

I've said this many times on this forum - I think the Val d'Orcia is the most scenic area in Tuscany. It's especially beautiful in April when the winter wheat is lush green & covers the rolling hills like a velvet blanket - with a grove of cypress tress sticking up here & there and a few medieval villages along the way. When we were there in April we just aimlessly drove around admiring the countryside.

I like the idea of basing in southern Tuscany & San G both. I would not base in Orvieto, however, I would plop myself smack dab in the middle of the Val d'Orcia - Pienza. Orvieto is just 1 hr away, Montepulciano 10 mins, Siena 50 mins, Montalcino 20 mins, Sant Antimo Abbey 25-30 mins. You could visit San G from there (we have - several times), but I think San G is a town that's enjoyed the most at night & in the morning when the day trippers have left - thus an overnight is perfect. Don't miss Volterra while there and a drive through Chianti (see the Michelin Green Guide) would work if you stay there 2-3 nights.

Like Diane said - take a train to Orvieto from Rome, stash your bags at the car rental office (we've done that), visit Orvieto, return to pick up the bags & car and then off to Pienza/Montepulciano/San Quirico/Montalcino or wherever you choose to stay in the Val d'Orcia area.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM

I agree with Stu's wonderful advise.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 03:34 PM

What Stu said so well !
With 13 nites, pick a max of 4 destinations.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Stu, thank you for the expert advice!