Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy itinerary, anty thoughts or insider tips?

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone
We are planning to visit Italy in September this year and I have been researching and constructing out itinerary. Any thoughts, ideas or insider tips appreciated.

Day 1 - Arrive in Cinque Terre (from Nice, by train) later afternoon.
Day 2 / 3 - Explore Cinque Terre
Day 4 - Early morning train to Florence / explore
Day 5 - Explore Florence
Day 6 - Early train to Rome.
Day 8/9/10 - Rome
Day 11 - Early train to Venice
Day 12 /13 - Venice (ahhhhh.....)
Day 14 - Early train out of Italy, heading to Austria ....

Any thoughts re our timing? Any must see attractions (beyond the obvious ones)? Any recommendations re accom? We plan to book as we go, or a day or so in advance - do you think that is an issue in September?
Any thoughts appreciated

Cathy
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:23 AM

>

Plan to spend a lot of time looking for accommodations that fit your budget. September is peak season.

Since you already know how many days you want to spend in each location why not book ahead and save the little time you have relaxing and seeing the sights.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Is there a particular reason why you wouldn't fly from Nice to Rome and then work your way back north rather than backtracking?
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Really want to see the Cinque Terre and on the map it looked logical to go from Nice to Cinque Terre? Is there a better way? Any suggestions welcome.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM

I like it---have fun !
The only option I see is to skip Rome this trip and spend time in Tuscany instead. If so, get a car for 3 days in Tuscany and then drive to Venice to drop the car.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I would personally take a day away from the 5T and add it to Florence or Rome, depending on your tastes.

After spending two nights in Vernazza I was ready to move on. In hindsight I would have skipped the 5T altogether and added those two nights to my other destinations. In May the 5T towns were completely overun with tourists, I cannot imagine September being any better. But hindsight is 20/20.

Over the years we moved away from 'winging' our trips to fully booking ahead. IMO trying to find suitable and affordable accomodiations takes away too much precious vacation time.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I would definitely agree with the winging it on accomodations in Sept (or other times unless you are familiar with the locatins and accommodations). The Cinque Terre is nice but not an essential part of Italy. If you have not visited Italy before I would pass on it. Perhaps an extra day in Rome or add Siena to the sojurn.
I saw the ahhhh following Venice: Have you been there before and do you have special memories? I have visited three times. Following the first, I planned not to return. People said we did not give it its due. We tried two more times and enjoyed the city but I cannot understand the misplaced passion people have for this overwhelmingly crowded tourist site. It is certainly worth a visit but an: AHHHHH?

By the way on our last trip we found a great little hotel about 1/8 mile from St. Marks and importantly about 100 yards from the water taxi stop (for airport and train connections).
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
ira

Jed says,

>I cannot understand the misplaced passion people have for this overwhelmingly crowded tourist site. It is certainly worth a visit but an: AHHHHH?<

It is much less crowded after about 4:00 PM, when the daytrippers leave.

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
ira

Hi LC,

I think that you have one day too many in the CT and one too few in Venice.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Everyone feels differently about a place, and you won't know your reactions until you get there. FWIW, I probably would cut down CT by one night and add it to Florence because I love Florence. I wouldn't add any time to Venice because, like jed_72, after three visits to Venice I have yet to experience the "aahhh." In fact, I've enjoyed the place less each time.

I would have hotel reservations confirmed everywhere before arrival.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM

We just finished a trip that was Salzburg to Milan to Varenna, Lake Como to Manarola in the Cinque Terre to Venice. I really enjoyed every place we went and loved the Cinque Terre. We stayed in Manarola, a less touristy town, at La Torreta which was at the top of the town and was a great hotel/B&B. We stayed three nights, two full days and it was the right amount of time. Could probably squeeze it in two nights, but you will have a long trip from Nice to get there although getting to FLorence will only be a few hours.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM

<marigross on Jun 27, 09 at 12:27 PM
After spending two nights in Vernazza I was ready to move on.
>

After 2 nights in the Cinque Terre, I, on the other hand,
was ready to move in not on.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM

jed_72 - what was the hotel you discovered near St. Marks?
bobthenavigator - is dropping a car easy in Venice?
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Your schedule seems pretty good, though check on how long it will take you to get from from Nice to the Cinque Terre.

I, also, would book places in advance, for the same reasons as the others: it will still be pretty busy in those areas, it will save you some stress in finding places to stay.

On the lodging, in planning our trip to Italy this September, I have noticed more availability. But I wouldn't count on it, and especially in Rome, you don't want to be fretting about your hotel.

nancythenice - There are many hotels near St. Marks. We usually prefer to stay in the Cannaregio area, which is less touristy that the areas closer to St. Marks. But this year, we're trying a hotel in the Castello neighborhood, not too far from St. Marks, but I hope not close to the tourist fray, called Casa Santa Maria Formosa. It looks very nice, quiet, on a canal, and a good location.

Yes, dropping a car in Venice is very easy. All the car rental places are located in Piazzale Roma, near the train station and at the end of the causeway into Venice.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM

We stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Campiello. It is only 16 rooms and about 50 yards from the waterfront. The rooms are small but attractive and who spends much time in the rooms? The street is quiet considering its proximity to the promenade.
It is easy to find from the vaporetto. The Hotel Danieli (pink) is next to the little street leading to the hotel.
See: www.hcampiello.it.
I have dropped cars at the Venice airport with no problem. Actually, it is a convenient airport to use when traveling in that section of Italy.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Yes, but do not drop at the airport unless you are flying out. You can drop at Piazzale Roma at the end of the causeway into Venice. Crowded but not hard.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM

As you can see, people like different places in Italy.

As for getting to Cinque Terre, Nice is a fun option, but the airports in Genova, Milano and Pisa are also convenient.