Basic Itinerary - Italy - Family of 6

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. So I've been doing a TON of reading and research. Me, the wife and our 4 kids (14M/11M/9F/3M) are headed to Italy mid-September. This will be our first trip to Europe. We're excited but I'm a little nervous about planning everything and budgeting correctly. My lottery numbers didn't come through last night so we're on a budget (to be kind).

About us. We aren't big on art/museums. We are looking forward to seeing some sites but are really looking forward to getting off of the beaten path. I don't want to hear English and see a bunch of tourists!

We aren't foodies but enjoy food none the less. I'm guessing for breakfast we'll eat in the apartment or at the hotel. Lunch will be sandwiches or pizza or a picnic from food we get at a market. We'll eat in a square or something, won't be sitting down. Dinner will be pizza some nights, nicer other nights, not likely to do any super fine dining (I work for a living). We are VERY low maintenance. Here's the basic outline that I've come up with so far...

Day 1 - Fly into Rome. Get adjusted to the time zone, check in, shower, go check a few things out.. Budget: 2 rooms @ $150 each, $150 for food, $40 for travel around the city (depends on where we stay what we'll need), $50 for misc. expenses.
Day 2 - Rome. Full day of sight seeing. We will plan ahead and get tickets to everything we want to see. Same budget as before except for $100 for misc (price of tickets and such).
Day 3 - leave Rome and take a train (or bus?) to Tuscany. Need to look into it but might leave night of day 2 and take an overnight train/bus to save on hotel costs. Will stay at a farm house in a small town. Planning on a rental car. Budget: 150 for the farm house, $150 for food, $200 for the car (not sure that is enough for the size of car we need), $25 for fuel, $50 for misc. and $150 for our train ride.
Day 4-7 - Tuscany! Travel around the little towns. No itinerary, just do what feels right. Will go prepared with recommendations on towns and restaurants. Budget: Still $150/night for the farm house, $150/day for food, 200/day for the car, $25 for fuel, $50 for misc.
Day 8 - leave Tuscany and go to Cinque Terra (train/bus?). Not sure where to stay but hopefully some small farmhouse type place again. Something quaint and out of the way but close enough for us to hike into town/train station (or we can take a cab). Will checkout whatever town we're in that day. Budget: $150 for the room, $150 for food, $150 for train ride, $50 for misc.
Day 9-12 - Check out Cinque Terra. Take the train between villages, walk around, eat gelato, maybe go swimming and have a picnic on the beach. Budget: $150/night for the farmhouse, $150/day for food, $40/day for travel, $50/day for misc.
Day 13 - Leave Cinque Terra and head back to Rome via train/bus (maybe an overnight train/bus to save $$ on hotel?). Say goodbye to Italy, see anything we missed the first time around. Budget: $150/room x 2 rooms, $150 for food, $150 for the train/bus ride to Rome, $50 misc.
Day 14 - fly out of Rome

Thoughts?
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't stay in Rome twice. You can probably get an apartment to rent if you put all of Rome at the end of your trip together.

What part of Tuscany are you planning to visit.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM

IronbenderII: I'm excited for you and your family! A first trip to Europe will be a wonderful experience to share.

With 13 nights, and a 3-year-old and a 9-year-old, I suggest you stick with no more than 2 changes of accommodation. I'd suggest one accommodation in Rome, and 1 accommodation somewhere in Tuscany or the Chianti region.

Can you fly into Rome and out of an airport that is closest to your final destination, instead of having to return to Rome? When we travelled to Italy with the family, we flew into Rome and out of Venice. That way we didn't have to back-track.

If you stay at a farmhouse in the Tuscany/Chianti region, you will be close enough to visit Sienna, and Florence, and the nearby countryside.

As for Rome...there is so much to see and do in Rome, and nearby Rome, that you could spend the entire 13 nights there and never run out of things to do!

You will usually save some money by NOT changing accomodations too often, because you usually save on transportation costs. Sometimes you can find an accommodation which offers you a discount for a longer stay. You can always ask. There are also some places to rent, but personally I'd rather stay at a farmhouse, like you suggested, where you can interact with the family, instead of being on my own in a rental. (That's just my personal preference.)

Rick Steves guidebook for Italy is excellent both for steering you towards places with reasonable prices and also places with a lot of local atmosphere. The Fodors guidebook is great for information on the sites, but it tends to have mostly the higher-priced accommodations listed and only a small number of the less expensive accommodations listed.

I raised 3 kids and traveled with them and here is my opinion: if you plan the trip so that the 3-year-old is happy with it...the whole family will be happier! Three-year-olds like the freedom to move about and explore their surroundings...they don't like to be stuck in very long car rides...they do enjoy train rides as you can get up and take them for a walk in the train when you need to...

Have a wonderful trip and definitely have the 14-year-old checking out web-sites and photos with you as teens really get into the trip a lot more if they can help plan it! My teens helped me plan our Italy trip. Their favorite places in Italy were Rome and Venice. While my husband and I loved the Tuscany/Chianti countryside and Siena, my teens weren't impressed with that portion of the trip. (However Venice is expensive and probably doesn't fit your budget.)

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM

For the distances you describe, overnight trains would not be appropriate. The distances are too small. For example, Tuscany is 2 hours or less from Rome. Cinque Terre is more, but perhaps only 5 hours.

If you are trying to avoid tourists, then Cinque Terre towns may not be the best choice. In September these towns will be overrun with English-speaking tourists.

I don't know your home country, so don't know how your initial arrival will affect you first day. You might adjust this schedule as kybourbon suggests, and travel to your location in Tuscany on Day 1.

Or see if you can fly to Pisa (again, this depends on your home airport) and go directly to Cinque Terre, then Tuscany, then Rome (or the reverse).

With so many in your group, and considering their ages, I'd be inclined to choose two locations and rent apartments. By renting apartments, you will get a better "local" feel since you will have to figure out how it all works in Italy . . . home appliances, markets, window latches and shutters, all this will intrigue your children and even you . . . and your apartment may be in more of a neighborhood for locals rather than tourists. Your family will be in one place long enough to become "regulars" at the local gelateria and coffee bar, establishing real relationships.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM

To get an idea of costs of cars, check out www.autoeurope.com With 6 people you may need 2 vehicles...they dont really have minivans in Europe. Also $25 for fuel is not enough. We just had a can in Italy for 5 days and it cost us 250GBP to rent and 40 Euros to fill up at the end. And that was a small car.

I agree if you dont want to see tourists you may want to rethink your locations as you are going to be surrounded by tourists in Rome, Tuscany and Cinque Terre (note the spelling of Terre). They are all fabulous locations, so maybe just accepting that you will see and be with tourists is ok...there's a reason the tourists are there

I would highly recommend 2 locations and renting apartments. I would be tempted to skip Rome if you only plan to really spent 1 full day there and maybe fly into Milan and do Northern Italy (Cinque Terre, Tuscany with trip into Florence). Or do a week in Rome (there is SOO much to see) and a week in Tuscany (in a farmhouse with a pool).

Good luck with your planning!
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys - very much appreciated!

So, I'm an American, flying out of San Francisco, CA. I like the idea of flying out of a different airport but it's $120 more per ticket to do it that way (from what I've found). Multiply that by 6 and it's kind of pricey compared to the train ride back to Rome.

I like the idea about going straight to Tuscany and moving the rest of the Rome time to the end of the trip. I hear what you're saying about Cinque Terra being pretty touristy but I think that will be okay after several days being in the back country of Tuscany. Updated itinerary below.

Regarding my kids, they're very very very well behaved (all due parental pride aside). We do a lot of road trips in the RV and they love it!

Updated Itinerary...
Day 1 - Fly into Rome, grab a bite to eat and hop on a train (or bus?) to Tuscany. Check into Tuscany farmhouse (not sure where in Tuscany yet, still doing research). Will pick up a rental car. Budget: 150 for the farm house, $150 for food, $200 for the car (not sure that is enough for the size of car we need), $25 for fuel, $50 for misc. and $150 for our train ride.

Day 2-5 Tuscany! Travel around the little towns. No itinerary, just do what feels right. Will go prepared with recommendations on towns and restaurants. Budget: Still $150/night for the farm house, $150/day for food, 200/day for the car, $25 for fuel, $50 for misc.

Day 6 - leave Tuscany and go to Cinque Terra (train/bus?). Not sure where to stay but hopefully some small farmhouse type place again. Something quaint and out of the way but close enough for us to hike into town/train station (or we can take a cab). Will checkout whatever town we're in that day. Budget: $150 for the room, $150 for food, $150 for train ride, $50 for misc.

Day 7-10 - Check out Cinque Terra. Take the train between villages, walk around, eat gelato, maybe go swimming and have a picnic on the beach. Budget: $150/night for the farmhouse, $150/day for food, $40/day for travel, $50/day for misc.

Day 11 - Leave Cinque Terra and head back to Rome via train/bus. Check in, shower, go check a few things out.. Budget: $150 for the train/bus ride to Rome, 2 rooms @ $150 each, $150 for food, $40 for travel around the city (depends on where we stay what we'll need), $50 for misc. expenses.

Day 12-13 - Rome. Full day of sight seeing. We will plan ahead and get tickets to everything we want to see. Same budget as before except for $100 for misc (price of tickets and such).

Day 14 - Say goodbye to Italy Budget: $50 for food, $50 misc.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Oh, one more thing. What do you guys think of my budget? Obviously as I get things firmed up I'll be able to get them dialed in more but so far, reasonable?
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I made a comment about your car budget in my post above.

Please note the spelling of cinque TERRE - it will be important when you are trying to do more research.

We dont travel with kids so dont want to comment on your other budgets...

For food I dont think $50 will feed a family of 6 in a day...

You may want to start pricing things out in Euros to get a better sense of what you can afford.

www.tripadvisor.com is a good place to look for hotels. Also www.slowtrav.com is good for researching rentals and getting an idea of what to expect for apartments etc.

Here is another page that might help: http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/index.htm
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Oh hubby and I just got back from Cinque Terre and he wrote a trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...dmont-2010.cfm
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jamikins. I was writing my response when you replied so I didn't see what you had written. It was the hubby's write up that cemented Cinque Terre in my itinerary. That guys needs to write column in a paper...

We have $150/day budgeted for food for every day except the day we fly out. Seem more reasonable?

Regarding the car, I was hoping not to have to rent 2 cars so we could stay together. That and my wife has a hard time driving in the US, Italy might be down right scary!!!

Regarding skipping Rome all together, not sure we could do that, wouldn't feel complete. A trip into Florence would be nice. Easy to take a train in from Cinque Terre to Florence for a day trip? More thought, more research...
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and thanks for the links. Reading reading reading! I need to get this figured out soon before the airfare goes up on me.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Hello there!!

My hubby loves to write...wish he could make some money off it hahaha

I dont think Florence from Cinque Terre is a reasonable day trip. I think 3 places are reasonable for 2 weeks, but the beauty of Italy and for a more enjoyable trip I would focus on those 3 areas and enjoy them as opposed to trying to stretch yourself too thin. Cinque Terre takes a long time to get to so you dont want to be travelling in and out during your time there.

And dont forget that you lost at least 1/2 a day (honestly more with 6 people) when you move, so your time decreases accordingly...

A good idea might be to fly into Rome and out of Milan so you dont have to backtrack. It may cost a bit more, but not significally when you consider you will lost almost a day travelling back to Rome. There is a direct train from Cinque Terre to Milan for flights...
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM

As for a car...I think you will be hard pressed to find one car that fits 6 people. You may need a van, but that makes it hard to navigate through tiny villages...

And I think $50 for 1 meal for 6 is reasonable...sandwiches etc. Just beware that sodas are very expensive in Europe...like significantly more than in N. America. Wine is cheaper than coke. Maybe buy it in grocery stores rather than restaurants...
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hi there,

We have had two trips to Italy with two kids, 1st time 7 and 11, second time 9 and 13. Wonderful! And budget conscious..
I don't think you are budgeting enough for food. Absolutely no sodas for that price.
Mainly though I'm curious about why you would chose Tuscany with four kids that age - it's absolutely full of Anglophone tourists, it's very tough to get off the beaten path and I don't think the activities are very kid friendly.
We spent a week each time in Santa Maria di castellabate in the Cilento - take a look. We rented an apartment through summerinitaly, very few Anglophone tourists, wonderful beaches and scenery, less pricy than heavily touristed areas, some great sights (eg Paestum which you can combine with buffalo mozzarella farms which our kids loved).
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM

On day of arrival you could train to Orvieto- short trip--- or other hill town and rent car there-- so you are not having to drive immediately after arriving in Italy
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Sorry, I missed where you had changed your plans to train or bus===good idea!
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

My family doesn't drink any soda but the wife and I will sample the wine. She's a cheap date, I'm - uh - not. We're big fans of water, easier to pay the dentist bill that way. I'll bump the budget up a little anyway to be safe.

TexasT - I'll research those areas. We don't intend to do kid type things on this trip, this trip is for me and the wife, the kids are just along for the ride . Getting off the beaten path is always fun though. Like I said, I'll research those areas. Thanks!

I'll see what the cost of flying into Rome out of Milan is, like you said we loose a day going into/out of Rome...
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM

We don;t travel at that price point so I can;t comment on much - but agree that you need to watch the costs of sodas and gelatos. A very tiny can of soda (about 1/3 of what you would get at Mickey D's woud run you about $3 each - so you can easily spend $25 to $36 per day just on sodas. I wold get used to carrying your own water that you get from the tap with you to help control the budget.

Also - I would look now for a place to stay in Tuscany - not sure you can get 6 people in a pleasant one for only $150 per night.

As for a car - there are none in europe that hold 6 people - never mind that you will need a car seat for the little one. You will have to rent some sort of van to hold all 6 plus luggage and you need to figure gas at about $7 per gallon.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM

You can rent a full size van for $200 a day. We rented one when we traveled with our two children and in-laws and we all wanted to be in the same vehicle, but it does make traveling narrow streets an adventure -- we had to get out and guide the driver on several occasions!
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM

The OP is estimating 2 rooms at $150 per night, so that's $300 per night for 6 people, one of them a toddler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -