Italy itinerary and train help!

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy itinerary and train help!

My husband, 8 yr old and i are heading to Italy end of August. (I know bad time to go!)
We will flying round trip to Florence for 3-4 days, then to Cinque Terre for 3-4 days then want to go to one other area for 3-4 days. We have been to Sienna, Pisa, Venice, Turin, Bologna, and some of the small hill towns. We usually travel with car but this time are thinking of using trains. What are the best trains to use to travel between these cities? I am confused by all the different types of trains and what is best. Also, can anyone recomend a third place that we should visit that would easy to get to from CT and not to far away from Florence where we need to leave from. We want to have an easy going trip but still want to see some new things. Or not, maybe just relax by a beach? Anything particularly interesting for an 8 year old in the area?

I need some advice.

Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Look at www.bahn.de for schedules or www.trenitalia.com for schedules and fares. Don't worry about different types of trains. You should catch the trains with timings that suit your itinerary.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
ira

Hi gia,

Geoff is correct.

ES* and AV trains are high speed, almost always on time and are reserved seat only.

Some IC+ are reserved seat only.

IC+ are cheaper than AV and ES*, and aren't always on time.

R trains are locals.

Have you considered a motor tour through Tuscany?

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

These are expensive trains are there local trains that would be cheaper? Or should I buy rail passes like these for faster service.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

I don't like organized tours, I want to be able to be able to be flexible about where i Go. Sometimes you meet other travelers and they send you to some place you did not consider.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM

The local (R) trains generally are a lot cheaper, yes - but slower, of course. Last I recall Trenitalia tickets can purchased online for a discount up to the day before; if you will be at a hotel the night before that has a computer/printer you could print them out to save a few bucks.

In the Cinque Terre, there is a local train connecting the five villages with Levanto to the north and La Spezia. All of those local trains are covered with a Cinque Terre pass you can buy (includes hiking). Non-local trains don't stop in every village.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM

What about spending 3-4 nights in Santa Margherita Ligure? It is a middle sized resort town on the Italian Riviera. You could easily take a train and spend a whole day in Genoa, the home of Christopher Columbus and also the best aquarium in Europe (for the 8 year old). You could take day trips by boat to Camogli and Portofino or just hang around the beaches at SML. If you stay there, try the trattoria Da Alfredo; it's one of our favoites. Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I think Ira was referring to "motor tour" as a drive yourself tour--not join a tour.

For the small amount of traveling by train you are doing, a train pass would be of no benefit. However, you WILL benefit from booking Family fares, which will give you automatic discounts. Read about it here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

You might enjoy a visit to Orvieto--Umbrian hilltown with some interesting sights, accissible from train staton via funicular--an easy train ride from Florence. From there you can take a day trip via local bus to Civita di Bagnoregio, which your entire family might enjoy.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The fast trains aren't available on some routes. They are only available on the main routes (Milan/Venice, Milan/Florence, Florence/Rome, etc.). Many of the other areas are only served by the slower R, D, IC and a very few ICPlus trains. Prices are cheap and as Ellen said, you should get the family discount (20%).
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM

What about Torino in Piedmont?
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Gia611,
Consider Lucca http://www.knowital.com/tuscany/lucca/accommodation/

Henry