Italy: Is This Plan Too Rushed?

Dec 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Italy: Is This Plan Too Rushed?

This is my plan so far. What do you think?

0900 May 14 (Sunday), Arrive Milan from USA
Train or bus to Lake Como - Varrena
15 May - Varrena
16 May - Morning train to Venice
17 May - Venice
18 May - Venice
19 May Morning train to Florence
20 May Florence
21 May Florence - Daytrip to Siena
22 May Florence - Daytrip to Pisa/Lucca
23 May Morning train to Rome
24 May Rome
25 May Rome
26 May Rome
27 May Rome - Daytrip to Orvieto
28 May 1100 Plane to USA

Thinking of maybe just going straight to florence or Venice, but am concerned about a long train (3 hours) ride on arrival day.
Thought the stop on Lake Como would be quick and give us a taste of mountains/ lakes before 3 cities.

I might be able to arrive in Rome and depart out of Venice, but that would mean a 0700 flight and I'm not sure about how to get to the airport. Not able to do it the other way around.
Dec 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM

If you don't want to travel by train to Venice on the first day, I don't see why traveling on to Lake Como is that much better.
You will be tired either way.
If you're already booked for Milan,you could change planes and fly on to Venice, unless seeing Lake Como is a must.

It's not a bad itinerary, though a rushed one. I wouldn't plan two daytrips from Florence with the short amount of time you are there.
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM

In a word, yes (it is too rushed).

I would also suggest that you drop Lake Como - it also adds time to the train trip to Venice - and go straight to Venice.

Two daytrips out of Florence is one too many. I would drop Pisa/Lucca. Or, if you must see the Leaning Tower and Lucca, take the day that you win in Venice by going there directly and add it to Florence.
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Elaine, thanks for the frank input. I had a feeling it was a bit rushed.

Maybe it would be better to just depart out of Venice and arrive in Rome. Can't be that hard to get to the airport for a 0700 flight!

BTW, I thought I read somewhere that you had some very extensive files on Venice and Rome. I would greatly appreciate copies if its not too much trouble?

[email protected]
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Hi Cato,

Fun reading your posts this afternoon and evening. Either airport is not a problem for a 7 AM flight. If you mean you might switch to a early flight out of Venice, we had a 6 AM one with no problems. (Lots of ways to do it, if you decide, let us know)

It does seem very do-able. Especially if you like variety. Two nights in the lakes, three nights in Venice, 4 in Florence, 5 in Rome. I'm assuming you'll drop the day trips if it feels to hectic. You mention you've visited Florence before - maybe you might want to balance 2 lakes/4 venice/3 florence and catch Siena on the way to Rome?

My personal choice would be to arrive in Rome, and then leave from Venice, just because with the extra time in Rome I could adjust to the jet lag without pushing too much, and Venice is the perfect ending (IMHO) for any trip.

OK, I'm going to have to ask again if I can travel in your pocket!!
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise - I'm lifting lots of good info from many of your previous posts!

SusanEva, you are most welcome to ride along in my pockets. They will be very empty after paying for college costs AND this trip.
Dec 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Cato, I assume you'll be taking an overnight flight into Milan Malpensa. So you'll arrive in a jet-lagged state. Then you have to get from the airport to the Milan central train station (some distance), then switch to a train to Varenna. Well, not too bad but not a lot of fun either.

I think the idea of flying into Venice is best--if you can arrange this.
Dec 12th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Dec 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Hi Cato,

I would also recommend saving Lake Como for another trip, especially if you are mainly going there as an inbetween stop.

Just go straight to Venice, you'll really be glad to have another day there. I am not a huge fan of Florence, so if you are not a big museum/art fan, 1 1/2 days there might be enough. Personally, I would trade the Pisa/Lucca day trip for a day tour to Tuscany/Chianti wine tasting!

Buon viaggio!
Dec 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle - still sorting things out, but have to decide soon.
Dec 12th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I'd go straight to Venice from Milan, the day you land. I'd skip at least one of the day trips &/or move Orvieto to another time than the last day of your vacation.
Dec 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Agree with others to remove Lake Como portion of your itinerary .... go straight to Venice. Ideally, it'd be best to fly into Venice & then out from Rome. However if you've already committed to flying into Milan (or if prices are more attractive), then you may as well spend your first "jetlagged" day taking the train on to Venice.

Plus that gives you another full day to spend in Venice OR if you want to stick with your plan for 4 nights in Venice, then you could add that extra day on to Florence . . . which I think is preferable, as 5 nights in Florence will give you time to explore both Florence & keep your daytrips (Siena & then Pisa/Lucca).
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

SusanEva, you mentioned that you had a 6am flight out of Venice; could you please give more details? I have the same flight in mid March and want to know how to get to the airport so early in the morning and how long it takes. We will have four adults. I am not sure where I will be staying yet. Thank you!

Shoyleyb