Reload this Page >

Italy in November?

Search

Italy in November?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Carol

Italy in November?

Does anyone think it's a bad time to travel to Italy in mid to late November? My mom and I are seriously deciding to travel to Venice, Rome, Florence and Piza for a little over one week. Also, do you think we are capable to see all those cities in the limited amount of time that we have? Any comments would be great! Thanks!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Rex

&lt;&lt;see all those cities&gt;&gt; ?? no, of course not. but that shouldn't talk you out of seriously considering it.<BR><BR>It will be a "taste"/teaser of Rome and Venice - - and maybe allow yourself a one day "blink" in Florence. Pisa is not taking time out of such a short allotment.<BR><BR>November could be seasonally cool (cold?) gray and damp - - or you could luck out with late summer weather, at least in Rome.<BR><BR>But keep in mind that you face short days. November 30 (70 days after euquinox in autumn) has the same short number of daylight hours as January 10 (70 days before spring equinox).<BR><BR>The good news is that you may be able to get a great airfare (assuming you are in North America) - - USAirways has a sale ending in two days (mostly to London or Amsterdam - - but you can get to Italy cheap from one, if not both of those); other airlines might have similarly cheap fares or even lower total cost, and more convenient.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:21 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Andrea

In terms of weather, Rex is right on. You could have cold & grey, you could have nice & sunny but not hot. Average highs & lows in chart form can be found on <BR><BR>http://www.weather.com/activities/travel/vacationplanner/?from=travfl<BR><BR>(option 2), and average number of days w. very high & very low temps at <BR><BR>www.weatherbase.com<BR><BR>In terms of whether or not it's enough time to see those cities, I vote "yes." It's a constant debate on this board, best summed up in the old post "delve vs. skim", and there are pros and cons to both methods.<BR><BR>We're planning a trip to Prague, where we plan on staying in that one city for a week, with MAYBE one day trip. Any one of the cities you want to see (with the possible exception of Pisa) is easily "worth" a full week's vacation, and many people will argue that it's a more enjoyable vacation to stay in one place and really get to know it.<BR><BR>We've also done numerous "if it's tuesday it must be Belgium" trips (independently), and have enjoyed them just as much. There are many, many, many places in this world that I want to see, but I only have a limited amount of vacation time. As a result, I usually want to spend my vacation time seeing many new places, instead of "getting to know" one thoroughly. (To do that, we live there - I'm living in my 3rd international country). <BR><BR>Do what you most want to do - if you really want to see those 4 cities, you can absolutely, positively do it in just over a week. Absolutely, you won't have time to "do them justice", but you CAN see them, and I for one, would not regret missing a day or two in Rome so that I could spend a day in Venice.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time whatever you choose to do!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 11:14 PM
loveitalia

November would be quite chilly in Italy, but not unbearable if you plan accordingly. To echo the last post, you should definitely refer to the following website for up to the date weather in the cities you want to visit:<BR>http://www.weather.com/common/welcomepage/world.html?from=globalnav<BR>Re: your proposed city itinerary, you might consider dropping one city and focusing on 3 total. You could spend 4 days in Rome, 3 days in Florence, 2 days in Venice, then allowing 2 days travel into and out of Italy to US (a 11 day trip total). You misspelled Pisa. Pisa is on the western coast of Italy and rather out of the way unless you were traveling southward from Genoa through Pisa to get to Florence. Otherwise, that might be a city you save for a return trip when specifically visiting the Tuscany region or Cinque Terre area, since Pisa is closer to those areas than the other cities you've mentioned.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 02:44 PM
gpratt

we traveled to quite a few areas in italy a couple years ago in early november. pretty nippy. florence is a must to see. pisa, however, could be missed. sienna may be a better stop as you heads toward rome. i'm sure rain will be in the forcast. we had cheap ponchos to protect. you will probably need heavier jackets underneath. not parkas, mind you, but maybe something with a zip-out lining. the weather was very unpredictable. we had a great time requardless. have a great trip!! G.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:50 PM
up

upping<BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:53 AM
igetcold

I'm also going in (early November) and have been reading a lot of posts. Just wanted to pass on to you something that I gathered from the posts. I get the impression that the heat in the hotel rooms is controlled by the hotel rather than having a mechanism in the rooms. Since I tend to get cold at night, and I know it will be chilly outside, I'm planning to bring warm sleep clothes and bedroom slippers "just in case." Hopefully all will be fine but I'd like to be prepared if the room is on the chilly side.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:26 PM
Barbara

I hope late Nov. is not a bad time of the year for Italy, because my husband and I just booked a tour starting Nov. 22, thru Nov. 30. We are visiting Rome, Florence and Venice with a stop in Pisa. I am looking forward to this trip. I would rather see a little bit of each city than never see it at all. I hope if you and your mother decide to <BR>go, you have a wonderful time. Who cares what the weather is like.