Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have read and read, but need help with Italy itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to spend 15 to 16 days in Italy in June and am overwhelmed by too much information - hard to integrate to make definitive plans. We are a family of five with 3 adult children who can tour day and night to see art, experience culture, people, sights, etc. Need to decide general itinerary (cities and number of days in each) ASAP. This will be our first trip to Italy. Do not know if we should primarily do Rome, Florence and Venice and side trips (which ones?) or head south, too?? Help! Many thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:07 PM
rex

And air travel considerations are not part of the picture? I think that ideal cities to start in are Florence or Verona; with 15 days, I would recommend some of the Veneto or some of Tuscany. But we don't know what things on your list are the "too many things" that you're having choosing between. Presumably "south" means Catania, first and foremost. But it could mean Sicliy or Basilicata/Apulia? Is this a logistics question? or a "richness" of destination(s)/area(s) question? That is greatly in the eye(s) of the beholder(s), you realize.

And though you say you can go day and night, you will almost surely benefit from 1-2 days - - TWICE - - or three days in a row, when you are not "checking attractions off your list". I personally think that the Lake Garda/Alto Adige or Veneto are excellent places for that. From what you know of personalities of any particular individuals, would some or all benefit from the opportunity to have a car - - off as a twosome or threesome - - and not do EVERYthing as a group of five?

What would appeal to me most, for my famly (also of five, with three adult children), would not necessarily be the same as for you. We might even break off and spend 3-5 days in an adjacent country - - like Slovenia, for the contrast.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am not an Italy expert, but we spent a similar amount of time there about 10 or so years ago. Since it was our first trip, we spent four days, with travel, in each of the three. We're headed back this summer, starting in Rome, because we found that 4 days in Rome was really not enough time to experience everything Rome has to offer. It was, however, plenty of time for Florence and a perfect amount of time for Venice. We took a side trip from Florence to see Pisa.

While I guess you could say we spent enough time in Venice, we're headed back there again for a few days just because . . . it's Venice, and probably one of the most beautiful cities we've ever been to.

This time, however, we're heading south, to Sorrento, Capri, and the Amalfi coast. I regret that we didn't go there the first time. It will also give us the opportunity to see Pompeii.

So, I'd say, if it were me, 3 days Venice; 3 days Florence; 4 or 5 days Rome; and the balance further south, perhaps based in Sorrento with day trips to Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and Capri. On the other hand, as we traveled by train the last time, we went through the Lake Maggiore area, so you might want to concentrate on that lake or Lake Como instead of venturing south of Rome.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:27 PM

You didn't say which airport you were flying into.Milan? Pisa? You can fly to Pisa from the US with a stopover in London or Paris. Pisa is a smaller airport and closer to the cities in Tuscany that you mentioned.It is easier to get in and out of than Milan.Places to go: Venice gets pretty busy in the middle of June,the earlier in June the better,for Venice.Fom thre<going backwards,you can go to Padua<Romeo and Juliette>,Don't miss Volterra <a walled city south of Pisa.San Gimigano<Tea with Mussolinni>Florence...and on the way to Florence from Pisa,,, Vinci,it has the Leonardo museum.It is amazing! Lucca<another ,small beautiful walled city<north of Pisa.The seaside is an easy drive from Pisa. You may choose to do the boat trip to see the cinque terra.Do not drive,,,or do the train..16 days isn't long in Italy.Enjoy
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:36 PM

There's so much said about the "three 3" that it's hard not to go to all three on your first trip.

BUT, to help you all narrow your choices, consider what all 5 of you have enjoyed doing on past vacations - city or country, all cultural, hiking and other active things, all beach/relaxation, or a combination. Then start planning your Italy trip in a similar fashion. For us, we always try to plan a combination of city/country time.

Doing so might mean you visit only 2 of the big three, for example:

arrive in Florence - 3 days
rent car to tour Tuscany - 3-4 days
drive to Venice, drop car - 3 days
fly out of whatever the closest airport is
(I'm not sure whether your 15/16 days includes your arrival and departure days, and obviously my plan is shorter than your number of days)

OR:
arrive in Venice, 3-4 days
train to Rome - 4 days
"south" - 4 days

You could obviously fit Venice, Rome and Florence into your time frame, but "south" too would start making for a tight time schedule.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:37 AM

We did a perfect trip to Italy two years ago. We flew into Venice, stayed 3 nights, trained to Florence, stayed 3 nights, rented a car and spent 4 nights in the Tuscan countryside, returned the car to Florence, trained to Rome, spent 4 nights and flew home from Rome. For some of us it was a first trip, for others, a third trip, and all enjoyed. In retrospect, we might have started in Rome and ended in Venice because Venice is so incredible. But for a first trip - there is a reason Rome, Florence and Venice are called the "big 3".
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Hmmm! June, 15 nites, 5 people.
The air connections will dictate--I would start there. But, given a choice, I would stay north and do this:
Into Milan--to Lago Como-3
Drive to Cinque Terre-3
Drive to Tuscany-4
Drop van--stay in Florence-2
Train to Venice-3--fly home

That is a good mix of the best of Italy
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions - many thanks! Surely povides framework for proceeding. It's really a juggling act - planes, hotels, car/train, etc. What is really hard is that for a party of 5, apartments usually require deposits and forfeiture of 1st day's rent (around $200 euros) if cancel. Or if need to change, rental may not be available which may affect another reservation.... Which city would be good to stay in Tuscany?